Smashed my previous best

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Well here are my numbers
Previous best
60ft = 1.970 1/8th = 6.817 Speed = 115.0

New best
60ft = 1.744 1/8th = 6.565 Speed = 114.7

Okay ... so why do I feel I suck even though I beat my previous best by nearly 3 tenths (in the 1/8th no less)? Its because my previous best was done with stock 17/40 gearing and my new best was put down with 16/43. I really expected more.

I remember reading on Brock's forum that with his mods a "competent" rider will run high 6.2's at 120mph. I have everything he listed except for the cushion mod but I instead have a 43T sprocket in the rear and the best I could muster up was a 6.5 . On top of that I only weight 160lbs.

I'm guessing the only reason my time dropped is because my bike is now quicker, but it seems as if I myself haven't improved. Most of my runs were in the 6.6x area, and I'd credit the gearing for that. I'm not sure what else I can do though. On that run I had the clutch out and throttle pinned just before the tree (which stands a few feet before the 60ft mark) and carried the front wheel about an inch or 2 all through 1st gear. It came down when I kicked it into second. Basically, that was a pretty hard launch and I still managed a 6.56 on that run.

I'm happy but frustrated at the same time. Any tips on getting this crappy dragger into the 6.2/6.1 territory?

That is quite a bit of difference 2.3 tenths in your 60'. You are good for another 1-1.5 tenths in the 60'. Get some more seat time with the gearing and it should fall!

Thanks.
I think I could have dropped a tad bit more had I not filled the tank before hitting the strip. With the new gearing I didn't want to risk the front wheel coming up too much so I weighed the bike down with fuel.
blush.gif

Another thing I could have done to drop my time is actually race against someone. On my 6.8x runs, there was someone in the next lane and those were my quickest runs. I think racing someone would get me to push harder than running alone.

Oh well, there always next week ...
thumb_up.gif

2/10 off any part of a run is a good shot..

You may want to experiment with shift points as you have new gearing too... we found often that short shifting (early shift) would help on some motors.

beerchug.gif
I would not be unhappy at all with your new best considering you did not add any hp to the engine
smile.gif

Your 60's are high. You need some more seat time and they will fall. Brocks' idea of "competent" is a rider who cuts 1.45-1.55 in the 60'. You do that, and you will have the time you want. Seat time, seat time, seat time. Nuff said. Good job on the improvement.
beerchug.gif

Thanks fellas.

Short shift eh'? I was shifting between 10,5000 and 11,000. Are you suggesting maybe around 10,000?

And yeah, I'm trying to get the best possible time I can get without adding any HP. I'm thinking of removing my airbox next time and shedding some weight from the bike. I ride with the grabrail installed with the hump and also have a second battery for my LEDs. I might leave all three at home next time.

I'm sure my gearing helped my 60ft times but I admit I was pretty relentless practicing the past 2 weeks. There's a dead road by my job and I practiced there every night I rode.

Another thing I forgot to mention. Todays runs were done in the day time, my previous best was a night run ... it was much cooler. I wonder what would my times look like if I had run at night this time around ...

I don't know where you are getting out of the clutch, but when I change my fofus from best 60ft to best 330's, I started letting the clutch go really quick, my 60ft suffered a tad but my 330's and 1/8 dropped big time.

I don't know where you are getting out of the clutch, but when I change my fofus from best 60ft to best 330's, I started letting the clutch go really quick, my 60ft suffered a tad but my 330's and 1/8 dropped big time.
My clutch was out before I reached the tree which is a bit before the 60ft mark.

well Im 270 suited and ran a best of 1.92 60ft, 6.979 in the 1/8 at 108.25

first time at the track on new bike 04 busa full hindle, strapped, lowered, pcII, 17/40, hard to launch clutch was almost gone. cant wait for it to warm up out hear in chicago, i got an 9 over arm, head port, duel intake cams sidewinder with 16/44 or 16/46 not sure yet

Thanks fellas.

Short shift eh'? I was shifting between 10,5000 and 11,000. Are you suggesting maybe around 10,000?

And yeah, I'm trying to get the best possible time I can get without adding any HP. I'm thinking of removing my airbox next time and shedding some weight from the bike. I ride with the grabrail installed with the hump and also have a second battery for my LEDs. I might leave all three at home next time.

I'm sure my gearing helped my 60ft times but I admit I was pretty relentless practicing the past 2 weeks. There's a dead road by my job and I practiced there every night I rode.

Another thing I forgot to mention. Todays runs were done in the day time, my previous best was a night run ... it was much cooler. I wonder what would my times look like if I had run at night this time around ...
hello.gif
well first,less gas and weight on the bike will help.
shift at 10,000rpm.
is your bike strapped and lowered?

i dont know how much it would help with the 60' time but do you keep your feet down through your 2nd shift. only assuming you do have a qickshifter.

Thanks fellas.

hello.gif
 well first,less gas and weight on the bike will help.
shift at 10,000rpm.
is your bike strapped and lowered?
Yes. 3 inch drop front and rear.

Practice, keep track of everything you do/try, don't be afraid to try different launches, shift points and such, practice....AND PRACTICE
beerchug.gif

I think you have to much gear for your weight, all you need is 1 down in the front at stock wheelbase. What RPM are you leaving at? I use to leave between 2500-3000rpm when my bike had a Brock pipe & track map, lowered, air box mod, and a 16 tooth front. I ran 1.56 60' and 6.20's at 121mph setup just like that and I weigh 168lbs in street cloths. Remember smooth is fast and I think seat time will help you more than anything.  
thumb_up.gif

I took Yamahor's (Bens) bike and ran 6.42 my first and only pass ever on it and it was bone stock just strapped and lowered a tiny bit in the rear. Since it was my first pass on it I took it easy, the bike had low 30's in it but I never got to make anymore pass's on it.

I've removed the 43T and went back to the 16/40 setup. I did that because I wasn't leaving as hard as I thought I should due to the fear of the front wheel coming up. I'm much more confident with the 16/40 but never actually tried it out. My previous runs were all with stock gearing.

Back