Smashed my fuel tank with a ladder

oops double post sorry to hear no 09 parts here sorry do have a 04 tank with one small dent

Last edited:
- Suzuki Motorcycle Gas Tank Paintless Dent Repair / Removal PDR- San Diego[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no first hand expierience with this but I think they have ways of doing it without using bondo. Something about welding something to the tank and then pulling the dents out. I know I've heard something about it before...

I heard something about blowing out dents with compressed air. Not sure if this is an option. Sorry for the mishap.

Yes tabs can be welded onto it then used to pull dent out. Once its out they are removed and sanded down. Also Ace is right since its not really crumpled but just dented I think it can be 'blown out' .

fix and repaint.

I am in the process of doing that with a couple of parts on my project 05.

Colorite Paint works pretty well out of a spray can.

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

I had one but sold it to AMODE................Good Luck. Shop around I got a New one from Fleay Bay for $350

doesnt look to bad. they have paintless dent remover tools that use hot glue instead of welding to attach the pulling tabs.

If you don't find one......I have fixed things like that before. The tank is made from a high carbon based steel and is hard to work with but.....You need to clean the tank out well - no gas or fumes or nothing. Make a plug to fit the gas cap with an air valve in it. Pressurize the tank to about 15-20psi and then - and this is the hard part - use and oxy/acetylene torch and quickly heat the dented area. It usually pops back out. You can try a higher pressure but may blow the welds. It usually doesn't take a huge pressure to work. Some minor body work and a good painter should have you back in business. Works on 2 stroke exhaust pipes as well. I've fixed hundreds of those.

My condolences on your tank, that really sucks big time.!!
Looking at the pics, I don't think it will be easy or practical to have someone take the dent out, due to the pinched metal on the lower edge of the dent. You'd probably be better off looking for a used one.
Good luck, I hope you find one.!!

I think you got your answer ,,,weld and pull the tank,,and use blanca's paint idea,,,,,,,sweet cheap fix,,,,,,,i love the ideas here,,,,,,good work,,,,,and man ,what a sweet even spray with that metal flake,,,and color rite should have that color code,,,and from experience,,I wouldnt get the touch up tubes,[ looks like finger nail polish with the little brush inside,it doesnt fair well,,,that spray,,looks sweet,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
damn that sucks! inintially i had to wonder why a tall as you are would need a ladder to get on your bike. :laugh:

Back