Small electrical fire on my bike!

PaiDues

Registered
A few days ago I noticed my usb charger wasn’t working on my bike. I thought it was the cable since I normally buy the cheapest one I can find for my iPhone 12 Pro Max. After troubleshooting, I figured out the fuse was blown. I thought it was odd, but just double checked the fuse size required and swapped it out. I started a short convo with my wife and smelled what I knew was an electrical fire. To my surprise, it was coming from my bike; the usb charger to be exact! Luckily I already had the side fairing off and was able to get everything out before any damage occurred to the bike. Just thinking, if I would have been anywhere besides in the garage with the bike it could have all been gone simply bc of a damn usb charger.

I’ve used the trackside brand ring terminal charger on my last two bikes without issue. All ran from the battery along the side of the tank just inside of the frame. I don’t understand what could have caused this. There was no damage to the usb wiring any place other than where it melted. Hopefully, you guys can point me in the right direction.

2865CA75-4CF7-47A4-8406-5089C956E1D6.jpeg

1104DBED-92BA-41CD-B108-13A608138154.jpeg

07C1A525-EAC0-484B-BC4C-D03DE67CD8DB.jpeg

2B129320-1966-4015-9D24-47A66505D1D5.jpeg

CCD70627-F3BB-44F4-BC51-9FF3181177DF.jpeg

Yikes that sucks but the reviews on revzilla seem to reflect the same experience you have. Good thing you caught it!!!

Looking at Tourtech, they get switched power and then ground to the battery. This seems like a safer approach to me.

I’m still trying to learn about electricity and have never been comfortable with it but learning more makes me feel more confident.

I’ve learned wires need abrasion and heat protection. Also the length of wire impacts things.

My friend has the heal tech thunder box and said it’s awesome for adding things.

Yikes that sucks but the reviews on revzilla seem to reflect the same experience you have. Good thing you caught it!!!

Looking at Tourtech, they get switched power and then ground to the battery. This seems like a safer approach to me.

I’m still trying to learn about electricity and have never been comfortable with it but learning more makes me feel more confident.

I’ve learned wires need abrasion and heat protection. Also the length of wire impacts things.

My friend has the heal tech thunder box and said it’s awesome for adding things.
Thanks for the suggestions I’ll give them a look

I use a Quadlock usb charger and had no issues so far after 2 years use.
I read this and my mind went to the wireless charging head for some reason. I didn’t know they had a 12v to usb connected. A bit pricey for what it is but after today I’m thinking a lil diff lol.

Back