SL65 Photoshoot in Chicago

tuning a stock car is useless.

are you nuts? kleemann claims almost 700 hp with just an ecu. a stock evo with a tune can make 30-50 hp more than a stock one. SRT-4's will pick up 40 hp and almost 75 ft/lbs. turbo cars are not like n/a, they pick up quite a bit with a tune.

are you nuts? kleemann claims almost 700 hp with just an ecu. a stock evo with a tune can make 30-50 hp more than a stock one. SRT-4's will pick up 40 hp and almost 75 ft/lbs. turbo cars are not like n/a, they pick up quite a bit with a tune.

not nuts at all. just realistic and very well know what im talking about.

KLEEMAN IS AFTERMARKET. There is absolutely no need to tune a stock car, anyone can mess with a/f to produce more hp but at what cost? i would like to see the dyno on the neon that makes 45/75 on just a tune. tuning a 100k stock twin turbo car with no fuel or other supporting upgrade mods is stupid.

and all i asked is what the reason for this tune was, and what world record they are trying to break, that may shed some light on this whole thing.

Out of nowhere these girls showed up...
DSC00897.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

Next they wanted to see under the hood.
DSC00903.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

Then we had to let them drive it
DSC00907.jpg

I love Chicago. They are very friendly.

Okay seriously, we brought the car to an open house out in Chicago and the guy who owns the shop set up a photo shoot. The car is there getting tuned to break the world record for a stock SL65. It is my bosses, I'm not that lucky, although he does let me drive it.:whistle: It was pretty cool.

im a big benz guy.... what do you mean world record for a stock sl65???

not nuts at all. just realistic and very well know what im talking about.

KLEEMAN IS AFTERMARKET. There is absolutely no need to tune a stock car, anyone can mess with a/f to produce more hp but at what cost? i would like to see the dyno on the neon that makes 45/75 on just a tune. tuning a 100k stock twin turbo car with no fuel or other supporting upgrade mods is stupid.

and all i asked is what the reason for this tune was, and what world record they are trying to break, that may shed some light on this whole thing.

Im gonna disagree with you here... just because it came from factory at certain numbers doesnt mean it wasnt built for more.

Example- All cars from Japan have an HP cap at 276 hp..... THATS RIGHT. Even the new GTR that makes over 400 in the US...

another example. skyline R34 motor (RB26DETT)..this is BY far the greatest motor ever made in the history of production cars. capped at 276 hp. If you put intake and exhaust (they put a VERY restricting exhaust and multiple cats on this car) and up the boost, you can make well over 400+...and these motors can handle well over 500 with stock internals. this motor has been built up to 1500hp easy...and thats an inline 6 motor.

tuning a car from the factory isnt useless... it really depends on what youre gonna tune.

Last edited:
Im gonna disagree with you here... just because it came from factory at certain numbers doesnt mean it wasnt built for more.

Example- All cars from Japan have an HP cap at 276 hp..... THATS RIGHT. Even the new GTR that makes over 400 in the US...

another example. skyline R34 motor (RB26DETT)..this is BY far the greatest motor ever made in the history of production cars. capped at 276 hp. If you put intake and exhaust (they put a VERY restricting exhaust and multiple cats on this car) and up the boost, you can make well over 400+...and these motors can handle well over 500 with stock internals. this motor has been built up to 1500hp easy...and thats an inline 6 motor.
tuning a car from the factory isnt useless... it really depends on what youre gonna tune.

adding intake and exhaust on a car would constitute in needing a tune to max that potential, airflow is crucial for hp gains, you just reitterated what i was saying!!

but if you read what i said my point is that the stock tune is optimized for the car (were talking TT highline car, not neons or evo's), to mess with a STOCK 100g car with no other performance or supporting mods is just plain stupid and would yield no real results. thats all i was saying...

we just did this SL65 amg renntech, makes about 700hp and we are doing a black edition next week, the tech from renntech is actually coming to our shop to work on it, ill post up pics, over 1000 hp!!!

Attachments

• 2121.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 164
  • 121.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:
ahhh i just reread what you posted...my mistake.. when you said "tune a stock car" i thought you were talking doing modifacations to the motors and not just playing with the A/F... then yea, i agree.
Maybe hes talking about "tune" as in increasing the boost. There is nothing wrong with increasing the boost. Most of the high end cars have a fuel system that can support it.

ahhh i just reread what you posted...my mistake.. when you said "tune a stock car" i thought you were talking doing modifacations to the motors and not just playing with the A/F... then yea, i agree.
Maybe hes talking about "tune" as in increasing the boost. There is nothing wrong with increasing the boost. Most of the high end cars have a fuel system that can support it.

increasing the boost on a car like this could be catastrophic!

and...

increasing the boost is not considerd to be stock, plus you cannot do that safely without reprogramming the computer (fuel delivery, timing, airflow rate), which would make it more not stock. there are aftermarket companies that have canned tunes or new ecm's like renntech or klemann that specialize in this sort of thing, if it was that easy, they would not sell their 5-25 grand hp packages.:thumbsup:

Yea Yea Yea hp tune on stock motor whatever....I still think those girls are underage.

its a great conversation!!

one more thing, on the SL65 the only way to increase boost safely is reprogramm the computer, this is not reccomended by MB and would void your warranty. the only othere unsafe way i can think of is to maybe create a small vaccume leak on the wastegate. would not really reccomend that and really dont know if it would work either??!

here is a SL600 that just came in 5 min ago for a renntech exhaust and some carbon fiber...

Attachments

• 44444.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 164
  • 55555.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
increasing the boost on a car like this could be catastrophic!

and...

increasing the boost is not considerd to be stock, plus you cannot do that safely without reprogramming the computer (fuel delivery, timing, airflow rate), which would make it more not stock. there are aftermarket companies that have canned tunes or new ecm's like renntech or klemann that specialize in this sort of thing, if it was that easy, they would not sell their 5-25 grand hp packages.:thumbsup:
Gotta disagree. You can tune a forced induction car and make safe, reliable, and noticeable gains. Its done everday.
Also I don't see how plugging into an obd port makes a car not stock. You can reverse everything and you cannot tell, not one part removed or replaced.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gotta disagree. You can tune a forced induction car and make safe, reliable, and noticeable gains. Its done everday.
Also I don't see how plugging into an obd port makes a car not stock. You can reverse everything and you cannot tell, not one part removed or replaced.
Posted via Mobile Device

it is just not that easy as that. yes you can tune a forced induction car easily. the issue here is the potential gains of taking a bone stock SL65 and tuning it. i still say it is a complete waste of time! JMO...lol

i dont care how dirty they are, they can be dirty to me any day of the week, specially the brunette and the blonde... i think i just came!!! lol jk

Sorry to cause such a commotion. I had to work all day with no access to a computer, so I just checked the thread and it has blown up.
Fisrt off everyone has different definitions of "stock". Yes, the car is being tuned. It has stock intake, stock bottom end, stock air box with K&N filters, stock cams, stock internals, stock exhaust. stock turbos, stock wastgates. I think I covered everything. Air fuel ratios are set to be very conservitive from factory on most boosted cars, I think we can all agree. A tune is still stock in a lot of circles. If you disagree that is fine.

He ran this car last year STOCK to a best of 11.09 in the 1/4 mile with a drag radial.

The best time for an SL65 with some tweaking is 10.87 in the 1/4 mile, as far as we know. That is the time we are trying to beat. Wasn't trying to start a war just wanted to show off the girls and let you guys know what I was up to this weekend.

I'll keep you updated as the track day gets near. November 7th is our rental here in NC.
It will also be my first time taking the Busa down the track.

Last edited:
I'll keep you updated as the track day gets near. November 7th is our rental here in NC.
It will also be my first time taking the Busa down the track.

Greg....please contact me and remind me before the 7th. I'd like to join and be a spectator. Cool?

Back