Since I moved to 5000 feet above sea level

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I moved to Idaho Falls about 9 months ago. So, I am now 5,000 feet above sea level.

The first thing I noticed was that my (smart) Ivan's TRE made my bike run really sluggish. That figures, since it makes the ECU think it's in 5th all the time and adds 5% enrichment to the fuel mix. At this altitude, the bike is already running rich, so, I ditched the TRE.

Now, I am thinking I would like some bolt on cans that make the bike sound better (it's a stock 05). I figure that this will lean the mix somewhat and I probably won't need any compensation for the added air flow (except the marble mod).

What do you guys think?

Your correct on the leaning process. But it's needed because of the fuel/air recalibration. At lower levels there is more oxygen (lets say heavier) which requires more fuel for the required mixture ratio. But as you go higher in altitude you get less oxygen, therefore requireing less fuel to get the same mixture ratio. Even though the stock ECU will adjust to a certaint degree, I suggest you go to a dyno shop and have them remap your bike. You want believe the difference you'll get  
beerchug.gif

(FAVahalik @ Aug. 03 2007,21:06) I moved to Idaho Falls about 9 months ago.  So, I am now 5,000 feet above sea level.  

The first thing I noticed was that my (smart) Ivan's TRE made my bike run really sluggish.  That figures, since it makes the ECU think it's in 5th all the time and adds 5% enrichment to the fuel mix.  At this altitude, the bike is already running rich, so, I ditched the TRE.

Now, I am thinking I would like some bolt on cans that make the bike sound better (it's a stock 05).  I figure that this will lean the mix somewhat and I probably won't need any compensation for the added air flow (except the marble mod).

What do you guys think?
I'm in exactly the same boat as you in every way. I also live 5000 ft up....I also tried the tre and I also took it off cause' it made my stock bike run rich and sluggish, plus it turned the throttle response into a jerky mess. I put a set of Viper race cans and a BMC filter on my bike....then added a Cobra FI2000R fuel programmer and once I adjusted the cobra to suit the cans and filter it made a BIG diff in performance. I don't know if maybe the Vipers (which are straight through) just breathe better than most or if your cans will respond similairly, but I would def add a pc and tune it with the low/mid/high buttons. Not sure if the expense of a dyno tune is worth it tho. I would also get a BMC filter to complement the cans...the filter alone made a slight but noticeable diff for me. And yes, once the cans are on you're gonna get backfires but the marble mod will completely cure them
wink.gif

Because of the altitude I also put a 16 tooth sprocket on front. I miss sea level something fierce
sad.gif
My bike feels like a dog up here...the mods helped but it still doesn't wind up NEAR as quick or pull NEAR as hard as it does at lower elevations. You lose 3% of your power for every 1000 ft up in elevation...and it hurts lol

Ouch- 15% drop in power?!?

That's it man- you gotta move. Of course if you're married, then this happens...
argue.gif
laugh.gif

I think ANY woman would understand...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

As far as dyno tuning,I look at it this way!  Hummmmmmmmmmmm
wink.gif
lets see ! $600 bucks for cans (or there abouts), $300 for a PC, $$$ for a TRE but not enough ($300 around here) for a custom map and tune ! Then you'll really see a difference without, "I think it's working OK"  
beerchug.gif

(Shibumi @ Aug. 04 2007,06:46) Ouch- 15% drop in power?!?

That's it man- you gotta move.   Of course if you're married, then this happens...    
argue.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
lol...then come it explain to my wife....please!

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(Shibumi @ Aug. 04 2007,06:46) Ouch- 15% drop in power?!?

That's it man- you gotta move. Of course if you're married, then this happens...
argue.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yep, 15%. The only real cure would be to turbo it. That would bring it to sea level pressure or better.

I really don't want to mess with a turbo though. I think I would consider cans and a map.

I've got giant screen HD TV in mind for the present. Besides, everything else here is 15% down if it's not turboed, so there is a weird kind of equality.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

No PC needed. Get it dyno tuned and have them reprogram the stock ECU. It'll save you a few hundred bucks.

Actually you could be losing more than 15 % based on temps. It's only 15% based on 65 F and if it's higher than that, you could be sitting at a corrected altitude of 7,000 or 8,000 feet. Now that would make a difference felt in the Ole buckus
laugh.gif

In this case, inches does matter, that is without a turbo
biggrin.gif

(DaCol. @ Aug. 06 2007,11:43) Actually you could be losing more than 15 % based on temps. It's only 15% based on 65 F and if it's higher than that, you could be sitting at a corrected altitude of 7,000 or 8,000 feet. Now that would make a difference felt in the Ole buckus
laugh.gif

In this case, inches does matter, that is without a turbo
biggrin.gif
Aww man...I didn't need to hear that lol.
You guys at the lower elevations enjoy it. It sucks craving power at 5000+ ft up on a hot day. Or any day for that matter
wink.gif

Back