Signs of odometer tampering

Diggi

Registered
Hi again everyone!!
Been a while since the last post.
A bit of info i received yest has been upsetting me.
I bought a used 2019 busa (grey with red rims) back in oct 2020. The dealer showed the odometer at 4500kms
It was Dec 2018 manufacturing and jan 2019 invoice. I was to be the second owner.
Im trying to get the bike registered to my name but my contact said that it may be that the bike has changed 4-5 owners. (Tall claim)
The biggest tell tale sign of that would be odometer tampering matched with the condition of the bike. So guys plz fwd your comments as to how i can asertain whether odometer has been tampered or not?
--- Points that odometer has been tampered
I noticed that the coolant was at Low level in March last month. (I rode it about 3000km till then)
How many kms before coolant comes to Low level?
Chain condition is good but how many kms till the last notch? (What is the factory setting for the notches? Does it come fully tightened?)
How many kms should the tires last. I got them in a pretty good condition. Rear tyre was Michelin pilot 4. (Is that the stock tyre? Maybe the previous owner got it upgraded as many do)
Should i have the spark plugs checked? Any inputs on that?
$$ any other inputs are welcome
--- Points odometer hasnt been tampered :-
** 2019 was a lockdown period mainly till may-june. (How much could one really ride under those conditions and even normally?)
- The dealer is a reputed. But you never know in India...tampering is a 15 minute job and costs just about 40-50$ !!
- Bike condition was good..no scratches etc. Runs well. Ive pushed it to 220-240 kmph. No undue vibrations etc or delay in throttle.
Two brothers slip ons installed with some stickers, swing arm spools and frame sliders.

All inputs are welcome

Hi again everyone!!
Been a while since the last post.
A bit of info i received yest has been upsetting me.
I bought a used 2019 busa (grey with red rims) back in oct 2020. The dealer showed the odometer at 4500kms
It was Dec 2018 manufacturing and jan 2019 invoice. I was to be the second owner.
Im trying to get the bike registered to my name but my contact said that it may be that the bike has changed 4-5 owners. (Tall claim)
The biggest tell tale sign of that would be odometer tampering matched with the condition of the bike. So guys plz fwd your comments as to how i can asertain whether odometer has been tampered or not?
--- Points that odometer has been tampered
I noticed that the coolant was at Low level in March last month. (I rode it about 3000km till then)
How many kms before coolant comes to Low level?
Chain condition is good but how many kms till the last notch? (What is the factory setting for the notches? Does it come fully tightened?)
How many kms should the tires last. I got them in a pretty good condition. Rear tyre was Michelin pilot 4. (Is that the stock tyre? Maybe the previous owner got it upgraded as many do)
Should i have the spark plugs checked? Any inputs on that?
$$ any other inputs are welcome
--- Points odometer hasnt been tampered :-
** 2019 was a lockdown period mainly till may-june. (How much could one really ride under those conditions and even normally?)
- The dealer is a reputed. But you never know in India...tampering is a 15 minute job and costs just about 40-50$ !!
- Bike condition was good..no scratches etc. Runs well. Ive pushed it to 220-240 kmph. No undue vibrations etc or delay in throttle.
Two brothers slip ons installed with some stickers, swing arm spools and frame sliders.

All inputs are welcome

Whew! Lots of info in your post but really, the only reason you think the odo is incorrect is that your “contact” said ’it may have had several owners’? My obvious question would be...huh? Who is your contact and how could he know such information? The time frame from its initial sale to now wouldn’t normally be enough time to put very many miles on it. Next, PR4s are not original tires, at least not here. Chains are supposed to be adjusted correctly anytime they need it, or have a new tire installed. They are not “ fully tightened”. And the coolant level doesn’t automatically get lower especially over such a short time period. Mine has nearly 70,000 miles and I’ve never seen a ‘too low’ level between changes. How low is it, within the low and full level in the overflow tank? At the stated mileage the plugs are fine. You said it runs great, how is the mileage, the miles per gallon/liter? Have you looked at the air filter? My friend Chirag is from India and told me about the dealers over there but, if the bike was sold used with an incorrect odometer the dealer may not have known it.

With regards to coolant, mine with 300 miles had some in the reservoir but it was low. The setup people saved a couple pennies there. So the level is not a good indicator by itself.

I was about to suggest checking all fasteners closely for scratches which would be an indicator that the hardware was disassembled. A magnifying glass helps here. But then I saw you had a front brake heating problem and handled it. So we know the front brakes were disassembled.

With regards to coolant, mine with 300 miles had some in the reservoir but it was low. The setup people saved a couple pennies there. So the level is not a good indicator by itself.

I was about to suggest checking all fasteners closely for scratches which would be an indicator that the hardware was disassembled. A magnifying glass helps here. But then I saw you had a front brake heating problem and handled it. So we know the front brakes were disassembled.

Where did the OP say he had a brake problem?

Where did the OP say he had a brake problem?

Whew! Lots of info in your post but really, the only reason you think the odo is incorrect is that your “contact” said ’it may have had several owners’? My obvious question would be...huh? Who is your contact and how could he know such information? The time frame from its initial sale to now wouldn’t normally be enough time to put very many miles on it. Next, PR4s are not original tires, at least not here. Chains are supposed to be adjusted correctly anytime they need it, or have a new tire installed. They are not “ fully tightened”. And the coolant level doesn’t automatically get lower especially over such a short time period. Mine has nearly 70,000 miles and I’ve never seen a ‘too low’ level between changes. How low is it, within the low and full level in the overflow tank? At the stated mileage the plugs are fine. You said it runs great, how is the mileage, the miles per gallon/liter? Have you looked at the air filter? My friend Chirag is from India and told me about the dealers over there but, if the bike was sold used with an incorrect odometer the dealer may not have known it.
Hi Wuzza.... thx for your inputs.
My contact is the guy who works in tje transport department and handles registration of vehs. So pretty reliable...but im skeptical about it. Why would someone keep a bike for just a few months and sell it?? That too 4-5 of them.
Tire issue - maybe it was changed cz the stock one ran out or it was just an upgrade.
Coolant issue - i saw it at the lowest level. That got me thinking
Spark plugs - ill only know when i have them opened for service maybe in june
Mileage - ive not really measured it yet. But overall it seems good. (I do 250kms after a getting a full tank. I think i get
Hi Wuzza... thx for sharing your views.
My contact is the guy who works in the vehicle registration office.
Tire - it was replaced maybe because the stock one ran out or just a fashion upgrade..never know
Coolant - i saw it at the lowest level
Spark plugs - will only know when i have them opened for service
Dealers - thats the problem. The dealer may have tampered it himself . After all he has to sell it!!
Mileage - Ive travelled 250kms after getting a full tank a few times. I think it uses up 16-18 litres. I get between 15-20 kms per litre. Travelling at about 120-140 kmph avg with 2-3 high speed runs also going upto 220-240 kmph which obviously guzzle gas. (But more experienced riders here can share their views on that)
Brakes - that was just a minor issue. I had them opened during the last service and cleaned. They are ok after that.
The condition was great when i bought it.

If it's a stock length chain, you should see about 4 marks at the back of the swing arm after some adjustments. When brand new, the back of the axle blocks might be right on the fifth mark. My earliest photo was after about 4000 miles and the fifth mark is covered up by the axle block.

If you have a stock length chain, you should never get to the last mark on the swing arm. When you adjust the tension, it normally should only be about 1/6 of a turn on each adjuster screw, maybe 2/6 of a turn if the chain was very loose. If you adjust the chain tension, 20 times in the life of the chain, I doubt if it will amount to even one full mark of increased wheelbase. Here's a pic of where my axle block is at the end of the stock chains life. The paint wear is probably a good indication of how far the axle moved since new.
stock.chain.18:45.gearing.busa.jpg

Measure the service manual specced number of pins on the chain to determine if the chain worn out. That isn't a precise indicator of true mileage tough. If the bike is operated under a lot of load often, the chain could wear out in a lot fewer miles than someone who used it for highway riding. I am changing my chain now. Measuring the specced pins, it was close to the wear limit 4000 miles ago and it hasn't changed a lot since then...probably adjusted about 8 times since I first measured it. It's still not out of spec but very close. I have 16,000 miles on the stock chain.

From experience with my other bike's (ZX-14) stock chain changed at about 20,000 miles and a full duty life of the new one I installed, chains might not increase in length much after an initial wear in period. Maybe they go for many miles just under the specced chain wear. For me, the sprockets are a lot easier to read. When they're done, the chain should be changed too. I think about 16,000-20,000 miles is what I get from a good chain and the front sprocket is done at that point too. I only use the bikes for sport riding on the road. A lot of 6000-8000 rpm use and sometimes higher, lots of engine breaking. Nothing as harsh as regular drag racing but a lot rougher use than highway riding.

Last edited:
BTW, the axle not lining up with the axle slot is not representing the OEM setup. That is a stock chain but the sprocket is +4 teeth. Obviously it's not fitting with stock chain length but the axle adjuster bolts haven't been moved since the last adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom