Shorten the wheel base

him

"THE HAYABUSA STUNT GUY"
Donating Member
Registered
I was wondering if there were a way to shorten the wheelbase of the busa and if anyone knew how to and secondly is this something i should try on my own. I want a shorter wheel base for better handling in the twisties

Um I believe that a GSXR1K swingarm will fit... Not certain if it is a straight swap or not though. But I am willing to bet you would be better served just buying a second bike. One FOr the track and twisties, one for the Streets...

dont really have the money to have to seperate bikes anyway the busa handles very well i just think it could do better. Does it matter which year i get the swing arm from

Just a thought but would dropping a few teeth on the sprockets get you a little bit shorter? Don't know how much your trying to go?
rock.gif

My .02 cents--- at 550 pounds wet plus rider--it will never flick like a 1000cc or 750 or 600...And shortening it may instill some high speed instability....It's a Great White Shark--as stock..there are certain roads where a stock Busa can rule....90 and up sweepers with some straights thrown in...Just forget the tight and technical stuff...35 to 65 mph.. even a 87 Honda Hurricane 600 could whoop us ..with modern tires..still most of all ,it comes down to rider ability..anywhoo...
rock.gif

I consider myself a formidable foe in the corners but i just feel like the bike could handle better you know like in back to back curves where you lean left then hurry and lean right. I figured shortening the wheelbase would help. Wont it?

there is a guy here somewhere that shortened his swingarm and put carbon fibre EVERYWHERE on his bike, he was showcased in a UK magazine. Hmm, sorry don't remember his username though.

You can put a 01-03 GSXR 600 swing arm on your bike I think its right around 2" shorter than the busa arm. You will also have to use the 600 shock linkage though.

if you want to do better in the corners just raise it up a little. Atleast the back, this will allow the bike to pop up better when coming out of a corner and allow you to get right back down for the next. Just my opinion.

you can raise the rear an 1" or so with "lowering links." Except they are raising links. Schnitzracing.com sells them... They are about $40. You will need a good hyrdro jack to keep under the bike while you are changing the links. Have someone help you so the bike doesn't fall.

Cloud

will takin weight off the bike help as much as raising links when concerning handling? and will the bike look funny jacked up in the back? Also concerning weight will droping 10- 15 pounds with an exhasut help more than droping 4-5 pounds with different wheels?

the wheels will help a lot more then the exhaust. Has to do with the science of less mass rotating. The bike is going to feel lighter completely. On the other hand, it may feel a little to floaty at high speeds.

I don't think having the rear raised will look funny at all. Everyone that does it states that the bike dives into the corners much better then it did. You are only raising it an inch. I would do the exhaust as well, but I don't think this is going to give you much in the handling department if you ask me, but it will lighten the bike a bit.

I wouldn't go replacing the swing arm if I were you. If you may find yourself ruining a perfectly good Busa. I think you can get what you are looking for out of the these other methods successfully. If you raise the back at a cost $40 and that doesn't do what you want, then start thinking of trying some of these other things. I really think you will be amazed with the difference in raising the rear though... my 2 cents.

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095022441 -->

ive been looking around and have only seen lowering links not too many raising likes. If you could only choose one would you get the wheels or the exhaust?

1. I would get the raising links first because that is going to make the biggest difference in handling right away.

2. I would get the wheels because of the less rotating mass which will make the bike feel real light.

3. I would get an exhaust system and it will lower the bike 15lbs. or so, plus give you some good output. You will have to do the PAIR mod because the bike will back fire after you do the exhaust system. Make sure you get the full exhaust system and NOT the slip-ons. THe slip-ons only give you sound, but won't give you much more performance, plus they will not save you any weight to speak of.

The PAIR is a emissions control piece. It weighs about 3-4lbs. So you will save a couple by removing it. You will need to get the "block-off plates" from schnitzraching or other. They are about $40. The bike runs much better without it after the exhaust mod.

Wheels are big for weight. There was a site with a guy that focused on just lowering the Busa in weight and I think he dropped 100 lbs.
wow.gif
He gave explanations and weight savings on everything. I will see if I can dig it up.

CLoud

damn hundred pounds!

Hey there a link anywhere on here for the mod. You dont have to look it up for me just let me know if it is on here. I was thinkin and maybe you could set me strait on this. Since the Gixxers 1k 750 600 are buitle for road racing will there parts be lighter than the busa and if they are are there any you know off the top of your head that will fit?

Back