She cleaned up nice!!

By the way, the $2500+ price suggested is if you fix everything properly. Much lower if you don't.

Also keep in mind that whatever book value that gets published will usually include what condition and requirements it takes to meet that expected value.

Remember that bike has tires that are likely needing to be replaced, all the rubber fuela nd vacuum hoses and lines will be of questionable condition at this age. Chain is how old? The tank was cleaned of all that old fuel? That plus the fork seals and brake work that you already know it needs.....chip away at what will be required to get it up to that values condition.

AJAY has already touched upon it as well.

Not trying to jack you around, I'm just saying that a lot of things make up value and what you see listed in whatever source should give you an idea of what needs to be deducted or addded and hope the market warms to it. If you put all of the above listed items into it you are at whatever you are at say $1600 (I have no idea what you have in it for money). Then you may only get interest at $1800 after all of that work and money. I only say this because I have fallen into this trap myself where you put money into something to get it in top condition and it doesn't bring near the money you expect.

It certainly looks like a decent bike as far as nothing major, and the mileage is certainly in your favor, but there are a lot of nickel and dimers in a 12 year old bike that can bite you as well.

What did you use to clean it up and get the rust off?

I used very fine steel wool and Mothers Chrome and Mag polish for the rust and non painted metal areas. I used Zymol and a buff ball to get the paint to come out. Engine de-greaser and carb cleaner near the chain area (not on the chain) and the rest was armor all and elbow grease!

Yup, I originally wanted to have it as a stable mate, but pressure from HQ is making that unlikely. We decided to sell it and use the proceeds to help buy a car for my son who just turned 16..Yikes!!

And so it begins!.......:rofl:

Remember that bike has tires that are likely needing to be replaced, all the rubber fuela nd vacuum hoses and lines will be of questionable condition at this age. Chain is how old? The tank was cleaned of all that old fuel? That plus the fork seals and brake work that you already know it needs.....chip away at what will be required to get it up to that values condition.

AJAY has already touched upon it as well.

Not trying to jack you around, I'm just saying that a lot of things make up value and what you see listed in whatever source should give you an idea of what needs to be deducted or addded and hope the market warms to it. If you put all of the above listed items into it you are at whatever you are at say $1600 (I have no idea what you have in it for money). Then you may only get interest at $1800 after all of that work and money. I only say this because I have fallen into this trap myself where you put money into something to get it in top condition and it doesn't bring near the money you expect.

I hear you Tom. I have inspected all the stuff you mentioned, I have done the basic service on it, Plugs, oil etc.. Everything else seems well with in serviceable parameters.

After getting some excellent input from everyone here, I decided I'm going to finish it up and replace the fork seals, get the carbs dialed in. The only thing it will cost me is what ever it will be in parts for the fork seals, Less than $100. The Carbs are good to go, I just need to fine adjust them, I have had them apart twice and did tons of research about them, so I'm pretty familiar w/ them now. Actually, when I rode it today for a good 10-15 mi ride, the bike was running excellent, it's just the low idle circuit that is rough when its cold. After shes warmed up it goes like raped ape, and the Yosh sounds sweet!

The rear brake I hardly messed with, I only bled out the old fluid, so I don't think there will be much issue there once I dig into it, it doesn't leak and no dry rot.

I think If I can get these few thing all squared away I can try and get the mid 2k area. I'm definitely not trying to be greedy, but cars for kids aren't exactly cheap these days, know what I mean? Worst case scenario, if I cant get what I want out of it, I'll keep it, its a fun bike and I like it. Maybe it can be my sons 1st vehicle instead, well...ok, maybe not....:thumbsup:

LOL:laugh: I think my total labor for the detailing came out to about $800 in it's self.:laugh::laugh: I swear it took me 9+ hours in all.:thumbsup:

Atta boy! Does look sweet,,,er than it did, for sure!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

icon14.gif

I hear you Tom. I have inspected all the stuff you mentioned, I have done the basic service on it, Plugs, oil etc.. Everything else seems well with in serviceable parameters.

After getting some excellent input from everyone here, I decided I'm going to finish it up and replace the fork seals, get the carbs dialed in. The only thing it will cost me is what ever it will be in parts for the fork seals, Less than $100. The Carbs are good to go, I just need to fine adjust them, I have had them apart twice and did tons of research about them, so I'm pretty familiar w/ them now. Actually, when I rode it today for a good 10-15 mi ride, the bike was running excellent, it's just the low idle circuit that is rough when its cold. After shes warmed up it goes like raped ape, and the Yosh sounds sweet!

The rear brake I hardly messed with, I only bled out the old fluid, so I don't think there will be much issue there once I dig into it, it doesn't leak and no dry rot.

I think If I can get these few thing all squared away I can try and get the mid 2k area. I'm definitely not trying to be greedy, but cars for kids aren't exactly cheap these days, know what I mean? Worst case scenario, if I cant get what I want out of it, I'll keep it, its a fun bike and I like it. Maybe it can be my sons 1st vehicle instead, well...ok, maybe not....:thumbsup:
Ranger, this is exactly how I bought my Busa. Mine was a 2003 Katana "barn find." The previous owner was a kid who had been lightly rear-ended at a stop light, panicked because he didn't have a license, rode it home, and stuffed it in the garage. Then he moved to Virginia, stuffed it in another garage never tagged it, sitting for maybe 3 years. I bought it for $500, had about $800 in it when I was done (brake caliper, carbs, leaking tank, brake pads, other stuff). Sold her for $2300 after riding it half the summer, clearing a cool $1700.

Plan was to buy something bigger but not expensive (hmm, your Bandit comes to mind).

But then I made the "mistake" of riding a Busa and the rest is history! :lol:

Last edited:
Back