shamefully broke down yesterday

thepushercg

veni vidi vici
Donating Member
Registered
yesterday i took the bike out for a ride, it has been sitting for awhile. i rode about 10 miles stopped for gas,
tried to crank it. no luck.
the battery didnt have enough punch to kick her over.
i let it roll out of the parking lot tried to start it that way. no luck, i got it into the next lot, a couple of people i work with came by, then i did not have the allen for the seat, they had to go hunt up an allen wrench, then come back and jump the bike off.

this was so embarsing, me sitting there like nothing was wrong with all the other bikes going up and down the road.
i charged the battery last night, i hope i dont run into this again.

Here is something dad sent over when my battery went bad.
Might be good to check it and see how healthy it is.

Open circuit voltage State-of-Charge in %
Figure 3: BCI standard for SoC estimation of a 12V flooded lead acid car battery.

Test the battery at room temperature. Allow 4-8 hour of rest after charge or discharge.
Courtesy of BCI
12.65V 100%
12.45V 75%
12.24V 50%
12.06V 25%
11.89V or less Discharged
[/Quote]

that's just your bike's way of saying, "YOU ARE NOT PAYING ENOUGH ATTENTION TO ME!!!"

now that she has your attention, are you going to ride her more?
tounge.gif

How old is the battery ? An open circuit test is nice for checking the charge of the battery, but a load test is what tells the story on batteries. If the battery is three years old or older I'd make arrangements to replace it before it really embarrasses you. Good Luck.

the bike and battery are coming up on there one year anniversary.
ill do the test later today and make sure.
i know it was my fault,the bike should be ridden more.

I disconnect the negative lead of my battery after each ride (I know, sounds ridiculous, but it only takes a few miinutes), because if it sits too long, it'll drain. Something to consider if it sits for a while between rides.

(Pipefighter248 @ Apr. 22 2007,10:05) Here is something dad sent over when my battery went bad.
Might be good to check it and see how healthy it is.

Open circuit voltage State-of-Charge in %
Figure 3: BCI standard for SoC estimation of a 12V flooded lead acid car battery.

Test the battery at room temperature. Allow 4-8 hour of rest after charge or discharge.
Courtesy of BCI
12.65V 100%
12.45V 75%
12.24V 50%
12.06V 25%
11.89V or less Discharged
[/Quote]
That is good stuff, thank your dad for me!
beerchug.gif

If it started initially without a jump and then you rode it for 10 miles, either the battery is shagged or the bike isn't charging it. After 10 miles the battery should have whipped that engine right over.

I don't bother using a battery tender unless my bikes sit for more than 2 months during the winter. Absolutely no need for a battery tender or disconnecting a cable during a normal riding season.

she started fine today. i did leave it on the battery tender all night. didnt have chance to test the battery today. see if she starts tomorrow.
another thing could be all the electronics i run that keep it from charging yesterday also.

Back