Funny question lol

OK is there a trick to removing the frakenstein bolts? i took the end caps off and BROKE an allen wrench trying to take them off lol. yes tried turning it to the left :p

Don't use WallMart tools
tounge.gif

wasnt walmart tools , it was a craftsman allen wrench lol , so i get another one but DAMN!!! , which every bolt on my tail is super tight.... giving me a workout to get the tail off to install the understail. Have to take out everything incliding the bottom trey for the bttery and everything , tail has cargo box and battery portion so i dont have to cut anything up.... just to get it off lol. Thanks im going to try the vice grips.

<!--EDIT|camaro69_4542003
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140173386 -->

Did you use an allen wrench or socket? I would try an allen socket with a decent ratchet.

When in doubt , use power tools. its off lol. But there was something blue on the bolts , almost looks like locktite. But its 4:00am so im calling it a day for awhile. This little project is going in pieces for a hour or so a night after work. Ill post pics after everythings done.

<!--EDIT|camaro69_4542003
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140174923 -->

Seems like a wierd thing to locktite? Atleast you got it off.

Yeah its a brand new 06 bike... so i dont know what the hell. But because of the huge vice grips it did give me a reason to order the bolt mod.

Those things are SUPER tight...I use a Snap On allen socket to break them loose....they do put Loctite on them from the factory.

Yeah i used a air drill with the broken allen wrench chucked in lol. Worked pretty good. Made one hell of a pop when it came loose tho , scared me that something broke... everythings fine tho

This won't affect your bike... but I do know last year I rode my bike shortly after a large snow storm .. got on a road that was wet.. so lots of salt/chem. stuff they use to melt ice got on the bike.. I sprayed it down with high pressure before I parked it... but it still made a mess of things.

like inside the front fender where the water didn't go.. it corroded the backs of the bolts that hold the front fender on... it was an absolout PITA to get those out...

One simply would not come out... I sprayed it with all kinds of lubes/bolt breaker stuff.. panther pee stuff... you name it.. it simply wouldn't budge.. it finally stripped. freaking nightmare...

We decided to take a dremel and cut a groove across the top of the bolt to use a large flat headed screw driver to break it loose.. got that done without incident.. and really put the torque to it trying to break it free... It broke free... only it wasn't the bolt.. it broke the little aluminum nub thing that it screws into OFF of the fork tube.. didn't hurt anything.. it just broke it!

I ended up drilling completely thru the bolt to get it out and had to re-tap the thread.. got a body shop to tig (whatever that welder thing is that works on aluminum) the little nub back on with a spot weld from the backside and put a new bolt it... seems to be fine now... But after I have any of the fairing bolts removed I squirt the threads with lubri-plate stuff before I put them back to keep them from freezing up like that again.

I had the same problem with the front axle.. I picked the front of the bike a good 3 inches off the ground and it still wouldn't break loose... I had to get a friend to sit on the bike and lay on the tank to keep it from lifting up enough to break it loose... whole thing was nightmareish... especially since I had to get the wheel off to change tires for a track day the next day..
wow.gif

oh.. somebody is gonna say.. "God EGo.. why didn't you just leave the fender on while you changed the wheel?"

because you can't.. I tried to leave the fender on it... the front wheel won't come out of there unless the front of the bike is a good foot off the ground.

ok, Im sure most of you know this but here's a little tip. On all my bolts that I dont Loc-Tite, I use Dielectric Grease on everything. I clean each bolt 1 by 1 with a Dremel & little wire wheels...just to clean all the threads out - than I use rubbing alcohol to clean the threads on the bolt, and use a Q-tip with rubbing alochol to clean the threads on the bike. I than put a generous coat of the Dielectric grease on the threads of the bolt and tighten them up. This makes a nice seal, water-proof and keeps bolts from seizing and coroding. I hope this helps....has made a huge difference for me.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140240673 -->

Well im in Az so i dont really have to worry about water or ice lol. But ive had to cut bolts out my camaro before and it was a pain. It just freaked me out that the frankenstein bolts was that tight and had loctite on them. Being a 06 bike i thought for sure itd have loose bolts everywhere , turns out they were all super tight , to the point i gave up trying to get the reflector off the back fenders and just getting rid of the entire fender lol.

Back