Saw the Smithsonian 9/11 memorial here in

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
WA state is lucky enough to be the only west coast stop on the tour of the Smithsonians 9/11 exhibit "Bearing Witness to History". There are only a couple of more stops in the midwest before it goes back to WA/DC for good. I got in touch with the museum director and arranged for six of us Fire Fighters in uniform to come down and staff the event for the day on 3-06-2005. Some of the exhibits are not covered and could easily be touched or walk away, so we provide both security and a FF presence for the exhibit. 343 of our brothers died on that day and this was a rare priveledge to be involved with the exhibit in a small way and to pay our respects to our fallen brothers.

I recommend that anyone who has the chance, go see it. It is politically neutral and a very powerfull display. There is a 10 minute video in a small theater at the end of it that lays out the time line of that day through news broadcasts. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I saw footage I had not seen previously. I don't know what happened to my camera but the pictures are not very good. Must be the low lighting. You will get the idea though. Here is the website for the WA location! http://www.washingtonhistory.org/wshm/exhibit-september-11.htm

From left to right:
Parts from one of the planes that hit the WTC (I wonder who was sitting behind that window frame?)
Door to an FDNY Engine (I wonder who the last guy to pull the latch on the doors inside was?)
File cabinet from the WTC (I wonder who's desk this sat next too?)

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110395304 -->

9_11_memorial___3_06_2005.JPG

The first Chief on seen to the WTC, he set-up command. He made it out alive, his brother did not.

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110395115 -->

9_11_memorial___3_06_2005_1.JPG

The bull horn President Bush used while addressing the FF's from the rubble at the WTC.

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110395050 -->

9_11_memorial___3_06_2005_2.JPG

What's left of a television from the Pentagon. This was in a conference room and the staff was watching the WTC events unfold on it when they were hit.

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110395072 -->

9_11_memorial___3_06_2005_3.JPG

A tatered American Flag found in the rubble from the WTC.

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110395091 -->

9_11_memorial___3_06_2005_4.JPG

Wow, I'd like to see that...sad though...
sad.gif

Thanks for the pics and glad you got to see the display...

Thank for the info. I'll have to go check that out before it leaves.
beerchug.gif

My heart felt thank to everyone who answered the "Call to Duty" when WTC was attacked. My condolences to all who lost someone in the horrible tragedy.

Nice pics. I can still remember exactly what I was doing that day when I found out. I don't think I'll ever forget that day. I think that's why I now work with a National Laboratory dealing primarily with Homeland Security.

Good thread Justintime.
It's amazing how 9/11 and 8:47 are burned in my memory. I witnessed everything unfold after 9:10 a.m. on that day from a building 34 blocks uptown. Without getting into details what I saw up close, I can tell you that it's a miracle we only lost over 3,000. Also what's amazing is that 11,000 children lost their father or mother, or both. Hopefully "WE WILL NEVER FORGET". Thank a cop or firefighter every day.

Good thread Justintime.
It's amazing how 9/11 and 8:47 are burned in my memory. I witnessed everything unfold after 9:10 a.m. on that day from a building 34 blocks uptown. Without getting into details what I saw up close, I can tell you that it's a miracle we only lost over 3,000. Also what's amazing is that 11,000 children lost their father or mother, or both. Hopefully "WE WILL NEVER FORGET". Thank a cop or firefighter every day.
I had applied to be a Fire Fighter in August 2001, this motivated me even more. I also am amazed that America didn't have significantly more casualties on that day. It just doesn't seem plausable with the buildings occupancy capacity that this wasn't far worse. Everytime I am on shift I think about the 343 and whether what I am doing that day is adding to, or taking away from, the admiration of the country that they left behind for us. I don't mean to leave out the Police or civilians when talking about this, they are boviously included. However, having been on large and stressfull events,obviously no where near 9/11 proportion, I now the feeling I had in my gut when it was unfolding and I can only imagine what these guys were going through. They had several FF's go into cardiac arrest just climbing the stairwells. Imagine with all your gear, airpack, hose, tools, spare bottle, adding about 100lbs to your load, you have to ascend almost 80 flights of stairs, in record time, and then have something left to fight fire and rescue. DAMN!

If the 1st tower never came down, just think how many people would have taken their time evacuating in the second tower.

Back