Sanding to repaint fairings question

HayabusaHarry

Registered
Bike got laid down. I want to paint over the old scheme. Do I have to sand down to the plastics or can I rough up the only paint job and paint over it. I’m gonna do my own paint scheme. I sanded one fairing down and man was it hell getting to the plastic. Just wanna know if I have to go that far with sanding to repaint. Thank you.

I would just sand down the clear coat and rough up the old paint. Hit it with primer, paint, clear coat.
I also, have no experience with this :laugh: sorry for your damage! :(

Thank bud. Just read some threads on this subject. Thanks for reply even though the answer was right in front of me. Lol.
Never sand down sportbike parts all the way to the bottom unless you have to (crack repair,etc) Perhaps newer type paints stick better,IDK. If I had to sand something below the clear and paint, I would use an' adhesion promotor for a good job. Extra time/cost. Bare ABS plastic is less than smooth,sometimes requiring build primers. Just scuff and shoot. I am not a professional painter.
Rubb.

As long as the old paint is holding, there's no need to remove it. Sand it so it's not glossy and it's ready. No primer needed. I'm not a professional painter either but I've had excellent luck with rattle can paint sticking to my bikes. The only problem is it takes a very long time to cure but if you're using catalyzed paint with a sprayer, that won't be a problem.

As stated, sand to get it smooth and get rid of the gloss (completely). Primer-sealer is a good idea because sometimes, depending on the paint you are spraying, you can get some lifting of areas where the clear is very thin or was feathered out due to a scratch, imperfection, or just happened to bust through. The primer sealer will keep that from happening. I've had this happen a couple times. You wouldn't think it would happen on a panel that has OEM paint and is a few years old, but it does.

Back