Sam's blowin' oil.....Ideas needed

sure see a lot of screw ups by "techs" at dealers here... dang.. and this is all basic simple stuff..
90% are that way IMO. If you find a good one it's rare.

When I had service done on the Yamaha (Buick) plus the right fork needed the seal replaced the work was spotless. Had to remove tank for carb sync also.

Not a mark on it and super clean.
cool.gif

I gave him a $25.00 Starbucks card for the effort.
thumb_up.gif

r8

Hindsight isn't gonna help now, but he made two BIG mistakes:
1. Never take a bike into a shop for anything! Do it yourself or find another hobby.
2. 99 out of 100 relatively low mileage 1000cc + bikes do not need a valve adjustment! I know of one friend that just turned 60,000 miles on his Honda CBR1100XX and has two valve inspections during that time, NO adjustment needed, all within spec..
That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I should get another hobby because I dont do it myself? Retarded. 1. I dont want to work on it myself. 2. I work 80-90 hours every week and take care the farm on top of that. Tell me when I would have the time to do it myself even if I wanted to. Jackass.

Thanks to everyone else for their ideas. Huge thanks to my boys who always come thru for me - John, Brendan, Shawn and GixxerHP. Good talkin to all of ya and thanks for the help especially GixxerHP.
bowdown.gif

I bet there's a missing gasket somewhere.  That or the valve cover gasket isn't in it's groove. It's easy to twist the gasket while tightening the valve cover.

I bet there's a missing gasket somewhere.  That or the valve cover gasket isn't in it's groove. It's easy to twist the gasket.
That's the first thing I told them to check after they picked it up. They said everything looked good. Then after talking with Gixer, I am even more confident that it's the gasket and they just aren't seeing it. I thought about fixing it myself but instead I'm gonna go in and show them how to find the leak using the little tricks that Gix taught me.
winkold.gif

check the breather hose... crank case to airbox.. could be pinched or folded...
+1 This is what I'm thinking too! I've heard of people doing the marble mod on this hose by mistake and creating oil leaks from the pressure that builds in the engine. If the shop had the bike apart to adjust the valves then they were working in this area and could have messed up this hose when reinstalling the air box.

I bet there's a missing gasket somewhere.  That or the valve cover gasket isn't in it's groove. It's easy to twist the gasket.
That's the first thing I told them to check after they picked it up. They said everything looked good.  Then after talking with Gixer, I am even more confident that it's the gasket and they just aren't seeing it.  I thought about fixing it myself but instead I'm gonna go in and show them how to find the leak using the little tricks that Gix taught me.
winkold.gif
Careful now! They might offer you a job!
wowold.gif

We wouldn't want to work for a living.
winkold.gif

r8

winkold.gif

That's the first thing I told them to check after they picked it up. They said everything looked good.  Then after talking with Gixer, I am even more confident that it's the gasket and they just aren't seeing it.  I thought about fixing it myself but instead I'm gonna go in and show them how to find the leak using the little tricks that Gix taught me.
winkold.gif
Careful now! They might offer you a job!  
wowold.gif

We wouldn't want to work for a living.  
winkold.gif

r8
Oh hell no. I dont do manual labor. Well, not for pay anyway. I did have to throw a switch today though.
shutup.gif

winkold.gif

I bet there's a missing gasket somewhere. That or the valve cover gasket isn't in it's groove. It's easy to twist the gasket.
That's the first thing I told them to check after they picked it up. They said everything looked good. Then after talking with Gixer, I am even more confident that it's the gasket and they just aren't seeing it. I thought about fixing it myself but instead I'm gonna go in and show them how to find the leak using the little tricks that Gix taught me.
winkold.gif
Good luck, Sam. I hope you/they find it. It sounds reasonable that it's the gasket. If they did like I've done before, they would have pulled the cover and left the gasket on the head - so they don't have to scrape the black RTV silicone off and re-apply. I bet they didn't get the gasket back in the grove of the cover correctly; most likely on the front side, since it's the hardest to see.

winkold.gif
Good luck, Sam.  I hope you/they find it.  It sounds reasonable that it's the gasket.  If they did like I've done before, they would have pulled the cover and left the gasket on the head - so they don't have to scrape the black RTV silicone off and re-apply.  I bet they didn't get the gasket back in the grove of the cover correctly; most likely on the front side, since it's the hardest to see.
Thanks Omar. When I talked with Shawn today, he said you and Gixer would be the ones to ask.
beerchug.gif

Huge thanks to my boys who always come thru for me - John, Brendan, Shawn and GixxerHP.  Good talkin to all of ya and thanks for the help especially GixxerHP.
bowdown.gif
Ummmmm.....Yeeeaaahhh.....I'll try not to feel too slighted by not makin' your "list" with the rest of the Academy  
sadnews.gif
I told you on the phone, several times. But if it makes ya feel better, I'll let ya come down and have and orgy with the sheep. You know I love you bro.
banana.gif

Back