Running from the man...It can get you killed

But, again, this is a totally different case. This was a criminal who had stolen the bike, of course he's gonna run.

The father of two "died a hero," Police Commissioner Howard Safir said. "He was doing what he was trained to do and what he loved to do."

Again, I feel sorry for the lost, but if it was not for the stupid idea of chasing speeders... He would be alive to go home to his family....

Insurance pays for the loss of a bike!

They shouldn't be chasing bikes at all. They would have bikers die in order to fill the coffers with a few dollars. Money over human life even for a simple traffic ticket. In this case they got a dose of their own medicine for a change.

I feel sorry for the family and friends and understand the officers need to protect and serve. But he risked his life when he didn't have to. He could have kept an eye on the bike without trying to catch it. Meanwhile getting back up to possibly stop the guy.

As far as out running the cops. I've done it when I know where I am and know that I'm shooting for a spot that I can hide out. Not looking for a long term chase. You can't out run a, but you can hide from one.

I really don't think that they could charge the motorcycle rider for murder could they?
If I outrun a cop, he crashes and dies during the chase I can be charged with murder?

I think that you can be charged with something, not sure what, but they would find some charge for it anyway!

Ok I dont usually get "roped in" by the ignorance of some posts, but this time a few of you really disappointed me. First of all if you would have read the full article, Adowell, you would have noticed that the officer was not just chasing a speeder, but a Suspect on a stolen motorcycle. It seems like I always read posts of everyone bitching about bike thieves, and cops never catching them, or even trying to, but here is a officer trying to catch a stolen bike, not his own but someone elses bike he laid his life down for. So true that his tactics were probally in error but dont disgrace his death ,[Todd] , saying that he was just trying fo feed the Citys coffers. Mabusa as to the charge yes they very well could charge you with Murder if the grand jury gave a "true bill" on the issue. Sorry if Ive stepped on some toes but this is not a time to post your opinions of all police officers just because of a run in with one bad cop. I have been doing this job a total of 8 years and have caught several stolen vehicles, hell our stats in Atlanta are 940 stolen cars a day. I try to use good tactics but we still cant control every factor, and dont expect me to just wave goodbye to every one in a stolen car or bike. Ok Ill be quite now that I got that off my chest.

And anyone with a prob with law dog's post can **** off, I know this guy Dont EVEN stereotype him he is NOT a "pig". He's a Hayabusa rider. PERIOD.

BTW Dog look down some dude wants to sell longies...

I live in NY and our Mayor made a crack down on speeders that says anything twenty miles over speed limit and one other infraction you get your vehical impounded and you go to Jail. So that means traveling 50 in a 30 and failing to singnal while changing lanes will get you a jail sentence. Also they are tring to seize your vehical when you are comvicted of both offensses. I don't know if the alleged "STOLEN" motorcyle "Plates" where the real reason for chasing the bike in the first place. But the officer did not follow Police procedure by not ending the chace after the speed became a public danger. I just think it is sad that this officer had to die when he could have just waited and rolled up on the bike another time. Thieves in NY are teritorial and stay in the same nieghborhoods with the bikes they steal. So it is easy to catch them with a little comon sense.

Atlanta Ga . Law Dog

First of all, no disrespect intended, but I did read the whole article.... Which is why at the end of my post I said - Insurance pays for the loss of a bike. I will explain myself a bit furthur.

Speeding on city roads is stupid, (that is why they make racetracks) but trying to chase down a speeder under any circumstances is just plain dumb.

I do not see where I made light of his death in my comment. (I do not want anyone to die) I just believe more time and money should be spent on the real crimes...

Who cares if a bike is stolen, thats why I pay insurance.... (They have been ripping me off for years by using the excuse of how much it cost them).

I do know of some good officers and those I respect, but lets face it, I have met more bad than good.

If you are one of the good ones, then I commend you on your work ethic. (We need more like you out there).

But, Law Dog, don't risk your life or other innocents to catch a speeder, (stolen or not)it is just not worth it.

Ride Safe!

The police just made an arrest in the cop that died. He is fourt four year old and was arrested after a tip was called in. The bike has not been confirmed stolen but one has been impounded from his home. It is like I said the theives are stupid and you just have to wait them out.

No more disgrace for his death than the many bikers who have died over a traffic ticket. For every cop who dies chasing a stolen bike their are many many riders who are seriously injured or killed for nothing more than a speeding ticket or wheelie.

I don't wish death on anyone but there are many states where cops will gladly endanger the lives of motorists, bike riders and even innocent bystanders for a $90 ticket.

If a cop bites the bullet for being foolish enough to chase a Busa in a Lumina then he bares some responsibility. The article says the cop "was on patrol in an unmarked black Chevy Lumina when he spotted a motorcyclist driving erratically." Well I have TWO BIG PROBLEMS with that.

Firstly - he didn't initiate the chase because the bike was stolen. It is CLAIMED it was because the biker was "driving erratically" which as most of us know could mean anything from making a legal simple lane change to a bogus excuse to hassle a bike rider.

Secondly - unmarked cars used for simple traffic stops should be against the law - and they ARE in many states.

I noticed the majority of the article details the emotion filled account of attempts to save the cops life, his family, awards etc etc. How many times do we see a news article like that for Joe Blow biker?!

There is currently a movement underway to stop these types of overzelous and out of control pursuits for petty offenses. There was a good sized segment on one of the national news magazines a week or two ago - 20/20 or Dateline detailing the lives of those who have been killed and maimed for speeding tickets. In fact some states have already OUTLAWED these chases due to the fact that there is no justification for endangering the lives of citizens for a traffic offense. Some of the comments of law enforcement officials fighting against laws stopping this type of irresponsible behavior were appalling.

They [law enforcement fighting against the laws] felt it was allowable to take any risks they deemed neccessary to catch traffic offenders since it would "send the wrong message" otherwise. Even if people (innocents included) had to die it was worth it to them.

It all comes down to abuse of power and the reduction of supreme power a new overdue law like this brings. I guess some people have finally discovered that it may not be such a good idea for 23 year old kid with a gun on a power trip to be driving a four door sedan 140 mph down the same roads families, pedestrians and children use for the sake of catching a speeder?! What a revelation.

Hopefully more states will come to their senses and realize that human lives whether guilty or innocent bystanders are not worth a few bucks for speeding or simple traffic offenses. [duh]

To Summarize: Cops care more about picking your pocket for a few bucks than they do human life. Extra care should be afforded to bikers who face extreme vulnerability but instead they are singled out and stepped on. If a biker is killed over a simple speeding ticket they don't give a s$#%.

Just be glad that this cop wrapped his little Lumina around a pole instead of running into a van full of kids like some of the others have.

Glad I got that off my chest.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 18 July 2000).]

Why would anyone want to hold the officer accountable for the outcome of a pursuit? The officer is not in control of the pursuit. The bad guy is. He decides when and where.

Todd- the statement from MSNBC that you quote would be incorrect. The 44% are fleeing criminals, just like the other 56%.

ZXALAN- while I'm sure that the law enforcement community as a whole is flattered by your offer, most have wives and would therefore have no need for your services.

[This message has been edited by Kirk (edited 19 July 2000).]

WAKE UP!! If the police don't chase, then EVERYBODY runs. That means more people riding/driving their thunderbolt grease slappers as fast as they possibly can without the benefit of any training. The police don't chase speeders. I repeat: THE POLICE DON'T CHASE SPEEDERS! The police do traffic stops. If the subject of the stop runs, then he has just become a criminal. A fleeing criminal. The police chase fleeing criminals. Sort of makes sense. Can't spend all day on lattes and bento and expect a paycheck.

Technically, you can shoot fleeing felons ( commonly known as playing "idiot skeet"). In actual practice it hasn't worked out so well in court. Too bad. The rate of repeat offenses is just about zero, and bullets are much cheaper than gee-whiz-bang buck rodgers laser ray guns with cameras that automatically mail you a citation. The Portland Police Bureau was given a free helicopter once, and gave it back because the maintenance on it would have cost as much as actually buying the darned thing.

Back