Rpms surge up when I put it in gear..why ?

Different gears have different timing settings. Aftermarket exhaust without at tune might make the bike more sensitive to the timing advance, depending on air conditions, elevation ect...sounds like the timing gets advanced when you put in gear and your fuel setting isnt calibrated to the leaner condition. Just a shot in the dark. bet 5th gear raises it the most out of all of them.

Different gears have different timing settings. Aftermarket exhaust without at tune might make the bike more sensitive to the timing advance, depending on air conditions, elevation ect...sounds like the timing gets advanced when you put in gear and your fuel setting isnt calibrated to the leaner condition. Just a shot in the dark. bet 5th gear raises it the most out of all of them.

Very interesting.....I'll check fifth and see .
Thanks

I doubt the clutch lever is the cause, it would be alot more noticeable problem. However, the new lever hitting the fairing is most likely in the perch adjustment(perch, the part the lever bolts to)
The perch may be in the same spot left to right on the bar, but is it turned down further than the old one? Allowing it to hit the fairing? The lever broke in the crash, chances are the perch moved just a little. Try rotating it up some, this of course doesn't fix the surging, but one less quirk to bug you. Personally I think the heat's getting to you:poke::laugh:

I doubt the clutch lever is the cause, it would be alot more noticeable problem. However, the new lever hitting the fairing is most likely in the perch adjustment(perch, the part the lever bolts to)
The perch may be in the same spot left to right on the bar, but is it turned down further than the old one? Allowing it to hit the fairing? The lever broke in the crash, chances are the perch moved just a little. Try rotating it up some, this of course doesn't fix the surging, but one less quirk to bug you. Personally I think the heat's getting to you:poke::laugh:

The lever broke when bike fell over. Sitting on bike it feels same as previous one meaning it doesn't fell high or low so I haven't checked to see if it moved, but I will .
The surging is just one of those little things that bug us or me for that matter.

I do see what you're talking about though. How soon does the clutch begin to engage? Do you have any gap between the bar and lever before the clutch engages, or is it immediatley as you release the lever? Has the lever travel it takes to engage the clutch changed since you dropped the bike? I don't think you have a clutch issue, but have to check these things to eliminate it.

Usually and before I could use two fingers as I do in video with two left on grip .
With lever drawn back and against two fingers on grip it would not engage same as now.
I haven't changed my grip or style but now with same grip and style when I drop it into gear the rpms go up as in video ?
Just strange is all it is.
I need a nice warm day to see if it's weather related also .

Usually and before I could use two fingers as I do in video with two left on grip .
With lever drawn back and against two fingers on grip it would not engage same as now.
I haven't changed my grip or style but now with same grip and style when I drop it into gear the rpms go up as in video ?

Yeah it is strange, and I doubted it was the clutch, and from what you say it isn't. It shouldn't be the weather either, as when the bike gets up to normal operating temperature, it should idle and run the same. I wouldn't be overly concerened about it, but the problem IS noticeable, so you haven't completely lost it...yet. Have you ask Brock? Somebody with that kinda know how could probably give you the answer, or point you in the right direction.

I didn't think it was cold in Florida :whistle:

Saiid, unplug your TRE and toss that thing in the ocean, your problem will go away!

I still hate you "Sunshine Boy"! :moon:

It's not all that cold here. Mid to high forties daily but it's wet, overcast and rains almost every day. It wouldn't surprise me if I don't see the sun for the entire month of January.

I am totally jealous of Blanca's sunny southland! I think I'll pack up and show up on his door step. I'd mow his grass for room and board. :thumbsup:

It's not all that cold here. Mid to high forties daily but it's wet, overcast and rains almost every day. It wouldn't surprise me if I don't see the sun for the entire month of January.

I am totally jealous of Blanca's sunny southland! I think I'll pack up and show up on his door step. I'd mow his grass for room and board. :thumbsup:

It is I who is totally jealous of the roads you have. I miss TN and CT. I watch y'alls videos and see the pics of green , real green leaves and trees and the curves you have. I miss that. Warm year round here ?
Yes but the roads in my area suck. Sometimes though a 20 mile long straightaway can make you forget about the lack of curves :)

The TRE gives you 5th gear timing all the time (I think) and more timing will raise the idle. Like others have said, unplug the TRE and see what happens. A clutch problem would make the RPMs go down.

Ok so swapping the lever , new for old had no effect.
Still surges when I put it in gear and I'm still searching for the answer as to why?

Ok so swapping the lever , new for old had no effect.
Still surges when I put it in gear and I'm still searching for the answer as to why?

:whistle:

Saiid, unplug your TRE and toss that thing in the ocean, your problem will go away!

I still hate you "Sunshine Boy"! :moon:

The TRE gives you 5th gear timing all the time (I think) and more timing will raise the idle. Like others have said, unplug the TRE and see what happens. A clutch problem would make the RPMs go down.

Make that three for the TRE as a suspect

:poke:

Yes I need to unplug the TRE when I get time.

If my bike was dynoed and mapped with it on how will removing it affect things ?

Either that PaChazzo is too hard or you need to readjust your TRE. :rofl:

If that don't get it check the TPS and sync the throttle bodies.

The timing maps are different between neutral and in gear. The TRE raises the in gear timing enough to see this.

Had Xtre removed today and bike is now purrrrrrrfect :)
Strange I recall reading a few posts where folks with Xtres said the throttle felt more responsive but without it I feel the throttle quicker , easier and 'freer' ?
Almost like they replaced the throttle return spring with a weaker one and it's easier to turn now? Runs great and like new .

Thanks Blais Cycle and Dr Ron :beerchug:

Back