Rock hit Radiator

King E

Registered
6DD4639C-C0F8-4101-A1F9-10604F33B6EC.jpeg
Hey guys. I was out riding with the crew this weekend and when we pulled over for bragging rights about the race, I was leaking antifreeze.

On inspection, I had a hole in my radiator (picture attached). This replacement oem part is expensive like $850! They have replacement radiators on eBay for $150.

I got a couple of questions:
Can my damaged radiator be fixed? How?
Is the cheap eBay radiator any good?

Take it to a regular radiator shop. If it’s punched clear thru, maybe not. When my daughter crashed her SV650 the neck was bent and it had to be tested. The fins were ok and he heated and stretched the neck back into place. Worked perfectly after. Maybe you’ll luck out. I have a guard on my Z but never had one on my 06 Busa. Never had a puncture but the front of it (looks) really bad:confused:. Good luck

Take it to a regular radiator shop. If it’s punched clear thru, maybe not. When my daughter crashed her SV650 the neck was bent and it had to be tested. The fins were ok and he heated and stretched the neck back into place. Worked perfectly after. Maybe you’ll luck out. I have a guard on my Z but never had one on my 06 Busa. Never had a puncture but the front of it (looks) really bad:confused:. Good luck
Thanks. I plan on taking the radiator off this week. I will take it to a shop first to see if it can be fixed first. I will let you know the results.

Who makes a good radiator guard? I see them as a must have now.

ive had a handful of radiator fixed. it’s a low pressure system so small holes can soldered closed. id def take it to a radiator shop and see if they can save u from having to buy a $850 replacement

Thanks. My buddy told me to just J.B. Weld it myself. I plan off taking it off soon.
Definitely don't use jb weld on it. I've heard mixed reviews about the cheap ebay radiators but don't have any personal experience. Like everyone else said take it to a radiator shop and they should be able to fix it up for you. I believe @c10 had some good radiator guards on rj that he posted around here.

What is a good radiator guard? I found some cheap ones on eBay, but they look my fancy than functional.
I remember one of the top brands fastens on with zip ties. Apparently it still works but I'd prefer one that bolted on if I were going to use one.

$900??
I just bought an oem radiator for an '18 gsxr1000R for $605.
No way the Busa is that much more.
Especially since they only made them for over a decade.
The price sucks regardless, but I Iike knowing that there are no repairs to leak.

Motosport has an oem gen2 radiator for $701.99
I'm sure some searching will find it cheaper.

Back