Riding with out a muffler?

edcop

Banned
I was wondering if I could damage my Kawasaki ZZR-600 riding around without a muffler? Not the whole exhaust, just the muffler.

Might think more about damaging your ears. Last time I did that on the busa, even with earplugs, my ears rang for days & gave me a splitting headache.

Might think more about damaging your ears. Last time I did that on the busa, even with earplugs, my ears rang for days & gave me a splitting headache.

+1 on that. I heard lack of back pressure could cause damage, but allot of people run shorties and that's the same thing as no muffler
Posted via Mobile Device

I seen someone today riding there Kawasaki zzr-600 without a muffler and it was loud.

Just wondering if any damage can be done riding with out muffler?

less back pressure means more top end but it will be loud as hell as for damage to the engine as long as you correct your air/fuel ratio you should be fine

SSBike mag did a story on this and the gains are about 2hp over the can and the sound alone is not worth it..IMO

Why would a person do this.....to further alienate the public?

Do the stock headers have a built in cat like the gen II busa? If so then you have plenty of back pressure. A loss on back pressure will cause lots of popping, a drop in HP, and less gas mileage but I don't think it will hurt the motor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, all the loud rock concerts when i was younger kinda damaged my hearing.

I have "tinnitus" its a constant ringing in my ears.
I have had it ever since i can remember.

I can hear ok i guess, just have ringing in my ear all the time.

less back pressure means more top end but it will be loud as hell as for damage to the engine as long as you correct your air/fuel ratio you should be fine

Ditto on this. A mechanic told me that anytime you lessen back pressure on a bike, you have address how it affects the A/F. It's more important on a bike because the exhaust system is way shorter than on a car, which makes it moe sensitive to changes.

Back