Riding in the rain

BrianKesler

Registered
For all of you people who live in Florida, you know it can be sunny as can be one hour, and dark and stormy the next. I left the house this morning and about an hour later it was pouring rain. I havent been riding for a long time and was wondering if there are any suggestions or tips (things to do and things not to do) to make it a safer ride in the rain. I dont mind riding straight, but turning in the rain scares me! Thanks a lot!

I always slow down and avoid the lane markers (bubbles), riding over them can be slick. I keep speed 50 and below. Also get in the slower lane and turn your flashers on if you have em. Gotta make sure people see you.

Though not in FL...
smile.gif

I've been caught in torrential downpours on the Busa...panicked, pulled over and sat under an overpass for about 4 minutes, then figured the rain wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Once I got back on the road, I just took my time feeling out how the bike would handle wet (I mean, flooded!) roads, and was very surprised to see that it handled very well.  I kept my distance from cars, kept my hi-beam on in the hopes that cagers would see me, wished I'd had a little "windshield wiper" on my visor...

Doing some braking in the rain helps you see what your bike can handle on wet roads.  Just keeping space around you in case something happens is the best advice I can give...and for me, the Busa leaned just fine in turns, but I didn't take 'em like I normally would.  I wasn't vertical, but I wasn't dragging knee either (come to think of it, never have anyway...)

...just take your time...

I think everyone should ride in the rain to know what to expect when those unforeseen things happen...especially in FL!

I know, just real world advice...nothing fancy...
cool.gif

I always slow down and avoid the lane markers (bubbles), riding over them can be slick.  I keep speed 50 and below.  Also get in the slower lane and turn your flashers on if you have em.  Gotta make sure people see you.
Great points, go over painted lines slowley. Take your time and keep it slow. Use the tire treads of the cars ahead of you to ride on. No quick turns like you do when its dry.

The only thing I disagree with is the blinkers. Do not turn your hazards on while in the rain, in your car or on your bike. One it is illegal, hazards are to be used by vehicles with a true hazard. Like broken down cars on the side of the road.

Dave (coach)

I always slow down and avoid the lane markers (bubbles), riding over them can be slick.  I keep speed 50 and below.  Also get in the slower lane and turn your flashers on if you have em.  Gotta make sure people see you.
Great points, go over painted lines slowley. Take your time and keep it slow. Use the tire treads of the cars ahead of you to ride on. No quick turns like you do when its dry.

The only thing I disagree with is the blinkers. Do not turn your hazards on while in the rain, in your car or on your bike. One it is illegal, hazards are to be used by vehicles with a true hazard. Like broken down cars on the side of the road.

Dave (coach)
Are hi-beams okay? I thought twice about using 'em, but I figured it's better to have them see you through blinding rain over not...don't want to piss off the cagers by blinding them though...

rock.gif

I got stuck in the rain here last wednesday coming home from Daytona to Ocala. First time I had my busa in the rain. I have ridden my GSXR750 many times in the wet, and the thought of riding the "bigBoy" in the wet was something I was a little unsure of. Well let me tell you I was very plesantly surprised. the bike handled very well in the wet, even up to speed (70). I was in the rain for an hour, and couldnt belive how dry I was when I got home. the aerodynamics of the bike are great. Kept all the rain off of me while moving. Not that i want to ride in the rain, but I must say that this was one of the best experiences I have had riding in the rain in my 10+ years of riding.

Dave (coach)
Are hi-beams okay?  I thought twice about using 'em, but I figured it's better to have them see you through blinding rain over not...don't want to piss off the cagers by blinding them though...

rock.gif
Actually a highpower metal cutting laser works the best

Actually a highpower metal cutting laser works the best
You're always so insightful...
smile.gif

Only reason I asked "the expert" is because it's not something I'd do in my car for fear of blinding the other cagers...I'm always game for learning something new thrasher...

Now, go out enjoy your sunshine...
tounge.gif

Turn on your high beam in the day while it's raining or foggy. Avoind markers and paint stripes. ride closer to the left side of the lane (less gunk than in the center, but you may find some standing water if the road is rutted. Give your tires twice as long to warm up. Easy on the throttle. Use the engine for braking with you front brake. DON'T use your front brake in a corner. Reduce your speed prior to the corner. Give yourself more room in traffic. Get a modulated/animated tail light. It will help people see you from behind. Get some reflective clothing/tape on your back.

Also, since your in Florida, STAY OFF THE ROAD! Too many near-blind drivers in that part of the country!
wink.gif
They'll run over you and think that you were a speed bump!
beerchug.gif

SLOW DOW... Last year I had a guy on a R-1 pass me in a T-storm like I was standing still. I was going about 50mph because it was hard to see and even harder to stop if I had to. The R-1 had to be going at least 9omph.

For all of you people who live in Florida, you know it can be sunny as can be one hour, and dark and stormy the next.  I left the house this morning and about an hour later it was pouring rain.  I havent been riding for a long time and was wondering if there are any suggestions or tips (things to do and things not to do) to make it a safer ride in the rain.  I dont mind riding straight, but turning in the rain scares me!  Thanks a lot!
Most important tip I can give is, stay dry. Hopefully you are wearing your jacket, also riding a little slower can make things a little better. Once I was riding, the rain had already stopped and was caught off guard by a car in the other lane running through a puddle and soaking me with the splash.
biggrin.gif

I don't do it. If there is a chance of rain I'm in the cage. Have done it before without problem, but just don't like it.

Rain gear, or waterproof gear. That's my big tip.

Other things to be wary of: When it first starts raining, or if it's a light drizzly, roads are going to be absolutely #### to run on. All of the road film, rubber,. oil, etc is going to ride on top of the water and make the roads slick as glass. If you HAVE to ride in the rain, give the roads a bit of time to at least let this stuff wash off. (It's not nearly as big a problem in a torrential downpour, it washes off quicker)

I don;t know how much you have to worry about it in Florida, but in general, watch out for roads that are metal gratings (I'm thinking of the draw bridges here, but anything tat has a grating like that in general). It becomes almost like glass as well.

Mainly slow down, and scan farther ahead, and watch out for idiot. They expect bikes even less during the rain than they do in the dry.

I don't do it.  If there is a chance of rain I'm in the cage.  Have done it before without problem, but just don't like it.
In Florida, there is a chance of rain most every day from about May to November, we just learn to deal with it, rain usually comes in the afternoon so planned rides are usually in the am.

Kev

Turn on your high beam in the day while it's raining or foggy.  Avoind markers and paint stripes.  ride closer to the left side of the lane (less gunk than in the center, but you may find some standing water if the road is rutted.  Give your tires twice as long to warm up.  Easy on the throttle.  Use the engine for braking with you front brake.  DON'T use your front brake in a corner.  Reduce your speed prior to the corner.  Give yourself more room in traffic.  Get a modulated/animated tail light.  It will help people see you from behind.  Get some reflective clothing/tape on your back.

Also, since your in Florida, STAY OFF THE ROAD!  Too many near-blind drivers in that part of the country!  
wink.gif
beerchug.gif
So true, easy on the throttle is a very important point. Lane position is going to depend on a few things.. When was the last time it rained? Is it the beginning of the rain or the end of the rain. If it hasn't rained in a while all the oil and fluids will be brought up making the center very slippery when it first starts to rain, but after a while that oil and fluids will make there way to the sides. You mentioned standing water on the sides, I think Florida drainage sucks so standing water is a common issue on the sides of the roads.

When stopping use both brakes, just give yourself more room to stop with. To much engine braking can also be like to much rear brake and cause the rear end to slide. I always recommend using both brakes, 100% stopping power is always better than 70% front and engine braking. If you want to use engine breaking combine it with both brakes, never substitute for a stop by only using engine breaking and no rear brake. Check out my safety post from time past.

Bright color clothing should always be worn and always have a set of rain gear available to you.

As far as using your high beam during rainy days, I do not have a opinion either which way. Just remember it is illegal to ride with the high beam on at night. But during fog, I do not recommend riding with your high beam on. Fog intensifies with the brighter light causing for worse visibility for you and other drivers.

Dave (Coach)

Turn on your high beam in the day while it's raining or foggy.  Avoind markers and paint stripes.  ride closer to the left side of the lane (less gunk than in the center, but you may find some standing water if the road is rutted.  Give your tires twice as long to warm up.  Easy on the throttle.  Use the engine for braking with you front brake.  DON'T use your front brake in a corner.  Reduce your speed prior to the corner.  Give yourself more room in traffic.  Get a modulated/animated tail light.  It will help people see you from behind.  Get some reflective clothing/tape on your back.

Also, since your in Florida, STAY OFF THE ROAD!  Too many near-blind drivers in that part of the country!  
wink.gif
beerchug.gif
As far as braking in a corner goes, it's a bad habit to get into any time. I always suggest slowing to corner taking speed before you get to the corner, then accelerate out of the corner.

Brian, I have ridden that bike many hours in the rain and can tell you that it has enough power to spin the rear wheel right out from under you on a wet road, so take it easy on the throttle.

Me

go easy on the brakes and easy on the gas-be careful of that first rain after a dry spell--------

Lots of rain here.

Pavement gets real slippery when it rains after a dry spell, especially in hot weather.

Steel manhole covers and paint are slippery.

Watch cornering at intersections with the painted crosswalks - these are deadly.

I just slow down, corner carefully, and keep my distance.

My biggest fear is getting rammed from behind so I keep a close watch.

Back