Replaced Fuel Pump

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
In late April on the way home from the Bash I hit an open straight four lane and pinned the throttle. Went around 11.5K and Hit second gear. The bike stumbled and then took off. I thought , crap I hurt the motor. Somewhere around 50K miles and rode very hard. The bike didn't do this again for about a month and started getting worse. Normal riding was fine. July 4th I took a 1500 mile trip to Florida and on one of our rides I discovered if I pinned the throttle the bike died around 7K and wouldn't run above 130. When I got home I checked with John and he confirmed that it sounded like a fuel pump ( clogging fuel filter ). I learned that if I eased into it I could run on up to redline and 180. I could have found a pump on ebay for $100.00, buy a new one for around $800.00, or buy the filter, bushing, and several o-rings for about $350. I bought a used pump for $350 for my own reasons.

Pump came in and I installed it Friday. Pretty easy job. Running like a champ again right now. Hopefully I'll get plenty of miles on this one. The instructions for rebuilding the pump and for replacing it are in the free downloadable service manuals.

SAM_2302.jpg

SAM_2303.jpg

:beerchug: Nice job brother!

Are you an anal retentive control freak and extremely picky on what fuel you use type as am I? Turned 54K and not an hint of fuel pump issue here.
:muscle:

Yes I am. But when I travel I have to buy what's available. It could be an issue with the place I buy most of my fuel for all I know. :dunno:

Fuel pumps rarely go bad and filters clog all the time. You could have gotten a brand new filter for around 250 dollars and replaced it. Instead you bought a used fuel pump with a partially clogged fuel filter (if it's used it's partially clogged) for more. I'm sure you had your reasons, just curious why you chose that path. There's also a mod on this forum posted by chrisjp where you can bypass the stock filter and use an automotive external filter for less than 30 bucks. After the mod you can change it out in less than 10 minutes. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

I appreciate it. I'm sure you know that zuki says change all those other parts if you tear into it. Everything you said was right. I was trying to help someone else.

Fuel pumps rarely go bad and filters clog all the time. You could have gotten a brand new filter for around 250 dollars and replaced it. Instead you bought a used fuel pump with a partially clogged fuel filter (if it's used it's partially clogged) for more. I'm sure you had your reasons, just curious why you chose that path. There's also a mod on this forum posted by chrisjp where you can bypass the stock filter and use an automotive external filter for less than 30 bucks. After the mod you can change it out in less than 10 minutes. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

That is for a gen1. He has a gen2.

Price is about the same for a gen 1. Filter is similar for a later model gen1 (post 2k I think) but I don't know if the mod will work for those. Did you look into that Chrisjp?

the principal is the same...drill hole in outlet...back flush...fuel will take path of least resistance..put inline filter...change for 10 bucks once you hit 5k miles in case of sediment from old filter. then from then on whenever you feel it be a normal maintenance. 2 clamps to remove inline under tank...to $300 for just the fiter assembly...win win on my part

I bet your ABSOLUTELY wrong on his new unit being partially clogged, because it came from me and we don't sell NO JUNK. Please only speak on what you absolutely know or your ASSumptions will make you look bad when the seller speaks. Don't judge a product, we sell if you don't have a clue about it. He choose his route cause if he has a issue, I'm a text,email or call away. Next part you buy see if you can do that with your seller :rofl: .... I even offer to buy back the old removed units.

He didn't rig his stuff, he did it appropriately so he has no failures to worry about. enjoy the ride DO3 and thanks for your business.

Wow, hold on Golden Child!

I by no means meant to suggest that what you sold him was junk and I never said that. He stated it was used (not how used) and if fuel passed through the filter then it is more clogged than a new one. That's all I was stating. I then recommended the bypass method which seemed to work well for some and actually a pretty elegant solution because the stock filter medium is pretty tiny. I was curious why he went the way he did and now I know. I'm sure you set him up with a quality product at the best possible price.

Kudos to you for helping him out as I know from your posts that is your nature. If I knew you provided the part, I wouldn't have even questioned it. I have recommended several people buy their parts from you since Honda East sponsorship got confusing. If I need it, I hope you will do the same for me in the future.

Again, no insult was intended and I was just trying to help out just like anyone else here.

Well it's been 14 months and the fuel pump is getting whinny again. Have to consider rebuilding it, basically replacing the filter this time. Not happy. Closing in on 70K miles. Come on Gen III

Get an external fuel pump. About the same price. Mount by the rear shock not under the tank. Problem solved

I have an AEM that you can install in place of the factory. It just takes a couple of tweaks on the filter housing to do it, I even made an instructional picture and sent it to Schnitz hoping they would use it with their instructions since I got confused with the written instructions. I used it for about 2 months or so before I installed the turbo which had an external pump. I ran about 3 cans of carb cleaner into the filter. I judged it by weight. When I took the old pump out, the filter housing was heavy. After 2 cans of carb cleaner, it got lighter. 3 cans and I felt it was about as good as it was going to get. I didnt read about the bypass mod. I can send you the pump for say $45 if you want it? Show you the install picture and you can even call me if you run into any uncertainty. Whatever you need.

I split the filter open, removed filter and resealed it. Installed the Bosch 69420 fuel pump. Installed inline filter. Modified stock fuel rail diameter to 1/4". Done

Back