Remote control helicopters or planes

Visualize yourself in the cockpit of the RC vehicle and it will make the inside-to-outside transition easier. Practice with a cheap walmart RC car to get used to the difference in perspective.

I'm going on vacation next week to Outer Banks, and thought it would be cool to pick up a beginner level helicopter or plane to fly.  Anyone got any suggestions?

(wish I could bring my Busa!!!)

BUSAFETT
Think about it - Outer banks - where the wind never stops blowing? Novice RC pilot? I smell disaster.

I always wanted an RC 'copter but my toy list is already too big.
sad.gif

Seriously. Outer Banks=LOTS of wind ALL the time. Wind=about the worst learning environment a new pilot could ask for. Picture learning to drive for the first time ever and it's a driving rainstorm, you can't see directly out the windshield, you've never driven this car (or even ANY car) before so you don't know how the controls work, and you HAVE to go a specific speed (to achieve lift) no matter if you don't know what you're doing. Oh, and the controls are all adjusted for someone who's 7'9" and you can't reach the pedals or anything...you get my point yet?

Here's my suggestion. Go fly a kite. Honestly. Buy a stunt kite or simple quad line foil (before you go do some research, or ask someone who knows about them) and go out to Jockey's Ridge and spend the day getting up in the wind. You WILL have easily as much fun with a delta stunt kite up on the dunes as you'd have with an airplane and without all the complicated electrical and mechanical devices to confuse you and end up crashing your $2000 piece of equipment.

If you want to get serious, look into kite boarding (though not a terrific idea for your very first time out). Nag's Head's great steady wind and relatively quiet (as compared to some places) beach fronts make wonderful spots to learn on a landboard.

If you (or anyone for that matter) wants some recommendations or suggestions about kite sports, feel free to get in touch with me. I know how hard it can be to find other people involved in a fringe sport and would gladly offer my experience to try and help anyone out who's trying to get started.

Back