remember to...

Revolution

revolution custom paint
Donating Member
Registered
stay cool, and remember to hydrate.

i was riding the other day and almost overheated while riding. i had on one too many t-shirts under my leather jacket for the warm weather. as i rode i began to "just not feel right" and i knew i was feeling a little "too warm". i decided to exit the parkway and cool down. i began to lose hand to eye motor functions as i exited. this all happened within about 5 minutes max. although i was "able" to get back on and ride 10 more minutes to my destination i was not 100% until about 4 hours later. had i disregarded my feelings/symptoms i would have definately crashed.

wear gear, dress cool, and hydrate.

Great post - heat exhaustion/dehydration is nothing to sneeze at. I will dig around, there is a chart that measures your water deficiency by the color of your urine; remember that the darker and more odorous your urine, the more water you need to drink. Once you internal thermometer gets jacked up, it is never the same, making you more and more suseptible to heat injuries.

yeah shawn, my friend is almost a dr. of chinese medicine and did a exam on me for class during which he explained urine should be the color of wheat.

i might get one of those armor shirts for summer.

I know the feeling.Last summer on a couple rides,I got to where I was seeing spots.Bad thing on a twisty country roads with lots of blind curves.Would not eat anything all day and to top it off with a Mountain Dew.That don't work.Now I always eat before a long ride.Stop every hour for a drink,water,tea or g-aid.Yesterday I rode 175 miles.65% of that was eye opening twisty high speed roads.Stop 3 times for a pint of tea.Felt great when I got home.I'm a furm beleiver now.
20 years ago it did't affect me.It really didn't.Now I'm over 40,things gotta change here and there.

A camelback is a great item to have. Thye have different models from just a drinkg bag up to a full pack with a large drinking bag. I love mine.

I can empty the the 3 litre bag in less than one day of hot riding.
all_coholic.gif

ps. you can also fill it with Crown and Coke if need be.
all_coholic.gif
all_coholic.gif
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

This is a great post. We must all be aware of
the weather. Sometimes if you leave in the early
morning when it is cool we don't think about how
the weather is going to change. We should always
keep hydrated on the hot summer days. Drink lots
of water and if you on a extended ride, take some
pit stops to quench your thirst. Remember when riding
safety first..............

bowdown.gif

(BlueHaya @ Jun. 03 2007,14:49) A camelback is a great item to have. Thye have different models from just a drinkg bag up to a full pack with a large drinking bag. I love mine.

all_coholic.gif

ps. you can also fill it with Crown and Coke if need be.
all_coholic.gif
all_coholic.gif
all_coholic.gif
+1 crown and coke, of course this crown you speak of is Royal Crown
laugh.gif

Water with some ice, or Gatorade.

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

(Revolution @ Jun. 03 2007,10:39) yeah shawn, my friend is almost a dr. of chinese medicine and did a exam on me for class during which he explained urine should be the color of wheat.

Is it bad if it look's like motor oil?
SHOCKED.gif

I regularly stop at gas stations, pee in their loose change cup, and ask them "does that look OK to you?"

I ran into this problem at work tonight. It got really humid out after a short rain storm and I got over heated. I got a splitting headache and felt like I was going to get sick. I sat in the a/c, had a few small bottles of water and put a cold damp towel on my head. After about an hour I started to feel better. Time to start drinking more Gatorade then soda.

i suffered some minor heat exhaustion last thursday..... i usually drink plenty of water or gatorade, but i have been slackin a bit.... it was def a reminder to keep hydrated at all times...

I'm sure Shawn can relate. I had a Gunny tell me one time to pour it in one end until it runs out the other. I've never forgotten that advice. I still use it on the firing range during the summer.

(dadofthree @ Jun. 03 2007,14:02)
(BlueHaya @ Jun. 03 2007,14:49) A camelback is a great item to have.  Thye have different models from just a drinkg bag up to a full pack with a large drinking bag.  I love mine.  

all_coholic.gif

ps.  you can also fill it with Crown and Coke if need be.
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif
+1 crown and coke, of course this crown you speak of is Royal Crown  
laugh.gif

Water with some ice, or Gatorade.
Now you have me thirsty for a Royal Crown.

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ Jun. 03 2007,12:25) Great post - heat exhaustion/dehydration is nothing to sneeze at.  I will dig around, there is a chart that measures your water deficiency by the color of your urine; remember that the darker and more odorous your urine, the more water you need to drink.  Once you internal thermometer gets jacked up, it is never the same, making you more and more suseptible to heat injuries.
Good point Shawn. Also, not needing to urinate is another sign. In the heat, if you are taking in water and not having to get rid of it, you are not taking in enough!

If I'm not carrying my back pack filled with bottled water, it make a wonderful excuse to stop and get some! Very important to remember...

beerchug.gif

(motogp08 @ Jun. 05 2007,18:22)
(Revolution @ Jun. 03 2007,10:39) yeah shawn, my friend is almost a dr. of chinese medicine and did a exam on me for class during which he explained urine should be the color of wheat.

Is it bad if it look's like motor oil?
SHOCKED.gif
Depends, are we talking about clean motor oil? or dirty motor oil that is like sludge and drips in chunks.

If your urine is like sludge and drips in chunks you have more of a problem than just dehydration  
crazy.gif

biggrin.gif

(TennBusa @ Jun. 06 2007,04:34) I'm sure Shawn can relate.  I had a Gunny tell me one time to pour it in one end until it runs out the other.  I've never forgotten that advice.  I still use it on the firing range during the summer.
Yep... sounds familiar!

remember that you need to drink more than just water. You're losing precious ions, or electrolytes such as Na+ (sodium), Cl- (chloride, but once the anion that was bound to Na as NaCl, or just salt but dissociates in water into 2 ions) and pissing out K+ (potassium). Even if you're dehydrated, drink tons of water, you won't regain the appropriate electrochemical gradient concentration b/c the body also goes into a hypotonic state (More solvent, i.e. water, than solute, salts/electrolytes) in both the intercellular compartment as well as the extracellular and plasma fluids.

Gatorade or any other drink that contains Na+, Cl-, K+, glucose (the energy component C6H1206) and minerals to aid the adrenal cortex of the adrenal gland to replace lost hormone secretions through the stress of dehydration should be supplemented with water.

All right, gotta get back to studying for my MCAT.

(gtrpimp76 @ Jun. 06 2007,13:36) remember that you need to drink more than just water. You're losing precious ions, or electrolytes such as Na+ (sodium), Cl- (chloride, but once the anion that was bound to Na as NaCl, or just salt but dissociates in water into 2 ions) and pissing out K+ (potassium). Even if you're dehydrated, drink tons of water, you won't regain the appropriate electrochemical gradient concentration b/c the body also goes into a hypotonic state (More solvent, i.e. water, than solute, salts/electrolytes) in both the intercellular compartment as well as the extracellular and plasma fluids.

Gatorade or any other drink that contains Na+, Cl-, K+, glucose (the energy component C6H1206) and minerals to aid the adrenal cortex of the adrenal gland to replace lost hormone secretions through the stress of dehydration should be supplemented with water.

All right, gotta get back to studying for my MCAT.
+1

Back