Rear Brake question

argyle66

Registered
just putting my Rear brake back together... the hinge nut/bolt closest to the caliper is very tight and does not hinge at all

should this nut/bolt be loose to allow this part to hinge, so wheel can adjust forward??

the only reason why I'm asking is when I went to take my rear wheel off I couldn't adjust it forward, just wondering if this is the reason

pic up to clarify

heres a pic

hinge.jpg

When the bolt is torqued its not going to hinge. That's why your supposed to loosen it when adjusting your chain.

qp.jpg

If you try to adjust your wheel alignment or move the wheel forward without loosening the TQ arm at the hinge bolt, the wheel will kink over/cant and when you TQ it down, it will be out of alignment.  There is no reason for the caliper to move once the TQ arm is set because it is connected to the swingarm and not the frame where the arm would need to "float".  I don't remember for sure, but I think the TQ is 19 ftlbs....

Thanks Charles, I was a little off
smile.gif
That is why we don't memorize TQ values!
laugh.gif

Ahhh printed off all pages of rear wheel removal.... guess ill wait till its off the stands and start again on the side stand !!!

thank you all thank you
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

Back