Ran a car that was actually fast today.

HMan

Registered
More than 5 lines. :redflip

Had a bad day and was on my way home from Evansville (Indiana) this afternoon. A friend was coming from Owensboro to go for a ride this evening but I was ahead of schedule.

As I'm coming out of Rockport, which is less than 20 minutes from home, I spot this convertible mustang coming at me. It was (I'm guessing) an 03 or 04 and was extremely sharp. Very tasteful body kit on it and as I was to find out a Cobra.

As he went by me and I was checking it out he revved on me. "No way?!"

Combo of mood and extra time lead me to do something I normally would never do. I turned around there in the middle of the damn highway and caught up with him at the stoplight in Rockport. He was going straight so I went into the turn lane and signalled. As I got beside him I revved on him. Then took it easy on up into town. Planned to turn around at the gas station up the street and go home. Looked in the rear view and there he was.

Hmmm, surely he doesn't want to run. Maybe the two of them wanted to beat my ass? LoL

So I lead them the LONG way around and come back down a LONG stretch of highway that is straight as can be for about 3.5 or 4 miles with nothing but open field on either side.

I decide to force their hand and see if they are planning bodily injury by slowing down to 45 (in 4th) and they come up around me. I look to my left and the passenger is giving me a thumbsup and motion for me to go. THen they put the hammer down. I rolled on (in 4th) and he's pacing me until I get up above 7 or 8 grand. Then I'm gone.

I can't see the mirrors so I run to an "undetermined speed ;)" and let off. As I'm coming back down I venture a look in the mirror and he's WAY back there. I pull off at the Legion and he comes in behind me. Tells me he missed his 4th gear shift and begs me to run again. Won't tell me what he's got under the hood.

We end up going to the new bridge just past Rockport that traverses the Ohio River over into Kentucky. If you turn around on the KY side and come back to Indiana you have two lanes (4 lane bridge with HUGE concrete divider) of super smooth pavement.

He asks me to give him a bit of a headstart and a roll on from whatever speed he takes off from. Says he'll honk three times.

We get rolling down the highway and he motions me to see if I'm good. I thumb up and he takes a second to go. Couldn't hear the horn as his exhaust is LOUD. He takes off from about 20mph and I take about a second to go WOT.

Screwed up and bounced off the rev limiter in 2nd and that slows me down. Hit 3rd and start to reel him in. Hit 4th and come even and start to pass. Hit 5th and its all over. At "undetermined speed" I let off and he flys by me. Motions to follow him.

We go back into Rockport and we discuss the matchup and he begs me to come back out this weekend so they can have a camera present as the car goes to Chicago for storage this summer as he travels the country to play baseball till the fall.

I work this weekend so its not happening and then we talk about what he has under the hood.

4.6 motor. 2.3 liter Kenne Bell twin screw SC. Ported and Polished. Strenghted bottom end. Aftermarket heads and exhaust. Rather extreme cam. Nitrous but didn't run that this time.

Then he pulls out the dyno sheet. 780+ (can't remember exactly) torque and 832 horsepower to the wheels. No run with the spray so he doesn't know.

We exchanged numbers for a rematch in the fall and with that I was off (and late).

There are indeed some fast cars around here. Its about time. LoL
biggrin.gif

so was he a pro baseball player?
we have a ton of pro football/hockey/baseball etc around here, they just bling thier rides, but a couple have some gogo's.
That sounded like fun-EZ

Nice car to kill! but I don't believe that dyno sheet for a second!!!! An 05 GTO has about 360 ponies to the ground and runs 12's in the 1/4 and wieghs 3700lbs. and the speed limiter is set at 164mph but new goats w/o the limiter have already been up to 198mph completely stock!!!!! on closed courses!!!
So if that guy has over 800 ponies at the rear wheels and is getting traction and your bike is relatively stock I think you would have been watching his tail lights!!! with traction and 800 horses Buick GN's turn 6's in the 1/4. So either that thing is tuned way wrong he burnt off $50 off each tire or hes just blowing smoke and showing you a dyno to some race car!!! Just my 2 cents

An 05 GTO has about 360 ponies to the ground and runs 12's in the 1/4 and wieghs 3700lbs. and the speed limiter is set at 164mph but new goats w/o the limiter have already been up to 198mph completely stock!!!!! on closed courses!!!
So if that guy has over 800 ponies at the rear wheels and is getting traction and your bike is relatively stock I think you would have been watching his tail lights!!! with traction and 800 horses Buick GN's turn 6's in the 1/4. So either that thing is tuned way wrong he burnt off $50 off each tire or hes just blowing smoke and showing you a dyno to some race car!!! Just my 2 cents
You're going to have to show me any of the stuff you just posted for me to believe it. There is noway the GTO is running with just the limiter removed and turning those speeds. If so, they just somehow destroyed the rules of physics.

900 horse supras and vipers run with Busas. Not GTOs.

You need to check in on your car stats. Back when I was into cars they weren't doing anything like what you are stating.

BTW, the dyno sheet has all of his car info right there on it. You may want to look for a new source of info on cages.

Just a sample of info from a Corvette forum. I had no idea that the Goat was such a Vette killer.

he standard C5 manual 5th gear ratio is .74 the z06 is .84. assuming that you have a stock rev-limiter setting and OEM tires you're looking at a top end of about 172. Additional horsepower will not change your top end in 5th gear without changing the rev-limiter setting. You don't have enough horsepower to pull max rpms in 6th gear.[/QUOTE]

Ok before I'm tarred and feathered I typed faster then I was thinking!!! The top speed of the 05 GTO with limiter is 158 mph. The car without the limiter was an 05 Vauxhall Monaro (Aussie GTO) it had 394 horse power (it was not stated if this was crank shaft or rear wheel hp.) and it ran 184 mph. not 194.
This was reported in the Feb. 05 issue of CAR. I was doing the previous msg by memory and was wrong I apologize!!!

Just a sample of info from a Corvette forum.  I had no idea that the Goat was such a Vette killer.

he standard C5 manual 5th gear ratio is .74 the z06 is .84. assuming that you have a stock rev-limiter setting and OEM tires you're looking at a top end of about 172. Additional horsepower will not change your top end in 5th gear without changing the rev-limiter setting. You don't have enough horsepower to pull max rpms in 6th gear.
[/QUOTE]
Yes they can be if you don't know what your looking at!!! Arrowhead performance (a GTO equivilent to Roush or Saleen) makes a GTO Tiger with a 7.4l with 625 hp. and I've seen videos of it making Z06's look stupid!!!!

All of that doesn't make me believe a busa could pull away that easily from an 800 plus HP. car unless the busa has the same equivilent in mods!

Wow. That must've been some race. Don't have many fast cars out by me, or at least I never seem to find them.

An 05 GTO has about 360 ponies to the ground and runs 12's in the 1/4 and wieghs 3700lbs.

with traction and 800 horses Buick GN's turn 6's in the 1/4.
The new GTO runs low 13's in the 1/4 stock. I have driven one, and it is pretty quick, but all it is is a rebadged Aussie car. Im a die hard Ford guy and GM screwed themselves putting a GTO badge on a car that looks like a beefed up Grand Am or Grand Prix.

I went to Fun Ford Weekend a couple weeks ago. The big daddy cars (Pro 5.0) have huge turbos, sometimes twin and have several thousand hp, and they are running 6's in the 1/4. There is no way a car with only 800hp will run anywhere close to 6's. My friends Mustang is turboed and has 600hp at the wheels and is running 10.2 or 10.3 in the 1/4.

Nice car to kill! but I don't believe that dyno sheet for a second!!!! An 05 GTO has about 360 ponies to the ground and runs 12's in the 1/4 and wieghs 3700lbs. and the speed limiter is set at 164mph but new goats w/o the limiter have already been up to 198mph completely stock!!!!! on closed courses!!!
You corrected your first post but you are still way off on your info.

I find it hard to believe that a unrestriced GTO will pull 184mph without the limiter.  Considering the C6 will only do 186mph and it has much better aero than the GTO.  I would be surprised if the GTO does 170! I need a link to this!?!?

No GN is going to run 6's with 800HP....I don't car who or what they have......it isn't going to happen!

You better do some research on 03/04 Cobra's because they can put down 600RWHP with just bolt-ons and over 700 with a shot of juice added.  With the bigger Kenne-Bell supercharger, cams, ported heads, spray, they are putting down almost 1,000HP.......or 850RWHP!

HMAN,

Is this the car?  If not, it is setup pretty much the same.  There are several cars just like this on www.svtperformance.com/  

Cbora link-----> http://www.cardomain.com/id/00svtdubs

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111158005 -->

All of that doesn't make me believe a busa could pull away that easily from an 800 plus HP. car unless the busa has the same equivilent in mods!
Pull away easy.......?

Passing him in 4th gear which is about 160mph isn't exactly pulling away easy! That's about right though with a car of this power level since you gave him the jump!

Esp. since the 03/04 Cobra/Mustangs don't have very good aero and up top(over 150mph+) it really starts huring them. Good run, glad you came out on top!

An 05 GTO has about 360 ponies to the ground and runs 12's in the 1/4 and wieghs 3700lbs.

with traction and 800 horses Buick GN's turn 6's in the 1/4.
The new GTO runs low 13's in the 1/4 stock.  I have driven one, and it is pretty quick, but all it is is a rebadged Aussie car.  Im a die hard Ford guy and GM screwed themselves putting a GTO badge on a car that looks like a beefed up Grand Am or Grand Prix.

I went to Fun Ford Weekend a couple weeks ago.  The big daddy cars (Pro 5.0) have huge turbos, sometimes twin and have several thousand hp, and they are running 6's in the 1/4.  There is no way a car with only 800hp will run anywhere close to 6's.  My friends Mustang is turboed and has 600hp at the wheels and is running 10.2 or 10.3 in the 1/4.
The 04 GTO's(LS-1/6) are a bit slower than the 05's(LS-2)! The 05's have eaked a few 12's stock but most are low 13-sec. cars!

I think the gtos look more like ricers than anything else. Thats pretty cool getting to race a car. Nutting like that around here or i havent found it yet
wink.gif

Have you actually tried this? A friend of mine had a 95 Supra TT, 352 rwhp, it would eat 600's like they were in reverse, but only in a roll on. From a dead stop, bike beats car almost every time. If you ain't catching the car very quickly during a roll-on, he's packing many ponies. You've got no speed limits in Montana right? Find the fastest car in town and try for yourself. You will be amazed how fast you can eat up a car that you (or the ownwer) think is fast. If however you run across a car putting anything over 300 horse to the ground, you better pack a lunch
lurk.gif
I don't claim to be an authority on any of this, but I know what I've done.

Back