Radiator: Changing Fluid

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
Come time for me to change the coolant in the bike.
Had radiator off to change exhaust. Reinstalled, filled with engine ice and muzzy fan.
Shook bike side to side until no more bubbles came up. Ran bike idling in garage for the fan to come on 4 times. After shutting off, noticed that the overflow was full.
Went for a ride the other day in 40 degree weather and fan kept coming on.
So what do you fellas think. Still more air in the lines or is it something else I'm not thinking of? Try to do the other method of sqeezing the coolant lines to burp it or ?
Definitely something I want to get taken care of before summer.

How much fluid have you put in the bike.  

I just got mine back together, and so far have added almost 3/4 of a gallon.  Ran it in the driveway for about 30 minutes, tipped it back and forth no level changes.  Filled the overflow to the full mark after cool.  Ran it today down the road for about 15 minutes (naked, street fighter style) and had no temp issues.

BTW...where in KY are you located? I have family in Franklin County.

<!--EDIT|flynjay
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138421716 -->

hey Pipe,I usually dont even bother with the shaking thing,I just squeeze a line,its just faster. You probably have too much juice in it too. The average Busa rarely uses its overflo tank(hence the inch of slime that is usually living in the bottom).
Whats the temp guage doing,is it getting hot,or TOO hot?

How much fluid have you put in the bike.  

I just got mine back together, and so far have added almost 3/4 of a gallon.  Ran it in the driveway for about 30 minutes, tipped it back and forth no level changes.  Filled the overflow to the full mark after cool.  Ran it today down the road for about 15 minutes (naked, street fighter style) and had no temp issues.

BTW...where in KY are you located?  I have family in Franklin County.
I'd have to go out and check to see how much I've put in.

Live in Boyd County.

hey Pipe,I usually dont even bother with the shaking thing,I just squeeze a line,its just faster. You probably have too much juice in it too. The average Busa rarely uses its overflo tank(hence the inch of slime that is usually living in the bottom).
 Whats the temp guage doing,is it getting hot,or TOO hot?
Didn't think to squeeze the lines till after I put the fairings back on.
Temp gauge just gets to about half like normal and then the fan comes on. Isn't running hot, but just worried about the fan kicking on in 40 degree weather.
I'll go out in a ride in a bit and let you know how she acts.

especially with engine ice installed. I'm a little concerned. Unless yer in real heavy traffic,that fan shouldn't be on at all.
We'll kick this around after yer ride. Watch out for soccer mom. RSD.

FWIW, Silkolene's Pro Cool is basically the same thing as engine Ice, sometimes it;s just easier to find.

Is the fan coming on when your moving, faster than 15mph??

At a red light and fan on,
cool.gif

Riding down the road at 35mph and fan on NOT
cool.gif

cool.gif

Seems like tonights ride with dad and pshycojoe from the board was a good one.
Fan never come on once, and the needle stayed below the halfway mark.
I need to drain some of the overflow from the other day, but I'll keep an eye on her.
Thanks for the responses, maybe I was just being paranoid about her.

You guys notice alot of dark debris in the overflow tank? My busa is only a year old, got 17000km on it, still on stock coolant, and the tank seems to have that slime in the bottom that people talk about too. Just wondering by the looks of the reservoir if it needs a flush already.
Thanks.

Back