Race Railz

Zoinks!

Registered
So I finally got the railz installed on the bike.  It took over a month to get em, but after finally getting em, I lost the bolts for 4 days, found them again, and then finally got em put on.  Anyway, here's what I did.

First, remove the fairing.  Loosen the pinch bolt and then remove the engine mount bolt.
RaceRailz007.jpg

Take your engine mount bolt up to lowes or someplace and get a bolt with the same thread pitch and same diamiter.  Grind off the HEAD, not the threads, to a point.
RaceRailz001.jpg

Screw the ground bolt into the engine mount hole.
RaceRailz004.jpg

Cover the area that's going to be cut with tape, and install the fairing.  Once you've done that tap the fairing with a rubber mallet till the point starts poking through a little bit.
RaceRailz0019.jpg

Take the fairing off and drill a pilot hole, from the backside.  Then put the fairing back on and, using a 1.5" hole saw, start cutting the hole.
RaceRailz0023.jpg

Make a pretty good mark, then take the fairing back off and finish cutting trough.  The reason for starting the hole with the fairing on the bike is so you get it cut at the right angle.

Once you've done that, remove the rear, upper engine mount nut/rod.  Replace it with the threaded rod that came with the railz.  Install the front mounting bolts and then install the sliders into the railz.

Finished product:
RaceRailz008.jpg

RaceRailz0026.jpg

Is the rail a better way to go instead of the stunt cage if your just wanting to protect your bike in case you go down, if you dont want to sacrifice some handling??

Is the rail a better way to go instead of the stunt cage if your just wanting to protect your bike in case you go down, if you dont want to sacrifice some handling??
I believe so. I like the idea of the railz, cause they give you a lot more protection than just sliders, but it's not a full cage. I've seen sliders bend on impact, and therefor not do much good at protecting anything, but with the design of these it'll keep that from happening. I just liked the the way they were designed, and figured it would be more protection for both me and the bike.

How much do the railz run? I need to get something being that I have been down twice. I have seen sliders snap and didnt wnat to do the full cage because of the possibility of dragging it on the twisties. I do like the rails though.

How much do the railz run?  I need to get something being that I have been down twice.  I have seen sliders snap and didnt wnat to do the full cage because of the possibility of dragging it on the twisties.  I do like the rails though.
$175 TYD, but I'm gonna go ahead and tell you, the website says they ship in 1-5 days. . . That's a lie. It took over a month to get mine. I called every Fri. for a month and kept getting told they would ship on Mon. The powdercoating job isn't the greatest, but I was told that they quit using the powdercoater they had been using. But anyway, if you want to order a set the website is powersstuntworkx.com

That looks good. I dont care for sliders because they seem to always bend and fairings get rashed anyway. But the rails make me think differently. Good job on the install!
beerchug.gif

if anybody needs them call this guy

Eric Githens - Owner. Shop and Mailing Address:. Riderz, Inc. 1941 Williamstown Road. Erial, NJ 08081. Phone Number:. 856-767-2220

looking good gmmech07
thumb_up.gif

DSC00745__Large_.JPG

if anybody needs them call this guy

Eric Githens - Owner. Shop and Mailing Address:. Riderz, Inc. 1941 Williamstown Road. Erial, NJ 08081. Phone Number:. 856-767-2220

looking good gmmech07
thumb_up.gif
Dang, I should have given you a shout before I ordered them. Maybe I would have gotten em in a reasonable amount of time.

so what keeps it from folding upward when you drop the bike or it slides?
The fact that it's got the added support from the bar.
um, the bar will help it from folding backwards, the flange will help if from folding down, but if it tries folding UP towards the tank....you have the same basis as a frame slider which MANY people have had fail.
So I suppose your answer is "since there's a possibility of it bending, just don't put them on at all"? All I know is it can't do any more harm than not having anything at all; the only thing they can do is help, so I installed them. I'm not telling anyone to go out and buy this product cause it's perfect, I'm saying they have a much better survival potential than a frame slider alone, and offer much more protection. I've also heard testimonies of people that had them and went down on the highway at about 85mph and after the bike was done sliding down the road and off the road, they picked it up and rode it to a frame shop where the bike checked out to still be in factory specs. Although it probably had some body damage, I'm sure it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

um, the bar will help it from folding backwards, the flange will help if from folding down, but if it tries folding UP towards the tank....you have the same basis as a frame slider which MANY people have had fail.
So I suppose your answer is "since there's a possibility of it bending, just don't put them on at all"?  All I know is it can't do any more harm than not having anything at all; the only thing they can do is help, so I installed them.  I'm not telling anyone to go out and buy this product cause it's perfect, I'm saying they have a much better survival potential than a frame slider alone, and offer much more protection.  I've also heard testimonies of people that had them and went down on the highway at about 85mph and after the bike was done sliding down the road and off the road, they picked it up and rode it to a frame shop where the bike checked out to still be in factory specs.  Although it probably had some body damage, I'm sure it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.
I hope you feel better.

You damaged a panel to protect a panel...doesn't seem like a smart move to me. Many people with frame sliders learn what I tell them later on....stuff like this doesn't actually work againist anything but parking lot drops.

But anyway....what you have is an incomplete cage. If someone wants a cage...buy a REAL cage.

So I suppose your answer is "since there's a possibility of it bending, just don't put them on at all"?  All I know is it can't do any more harm than not having anything at all; the only thing they can do is help, so I installed them.  I'm not telling anyone to go out and buy this product cause it's perfect, I'm saying they have a much better survival potential than a frame slider alone, and offer much more protection.  I've also heard testimonies of people that had them and went down on the highway at about 85mph and after the bike was done sliding down the road and off the road, they picked it up and rode it to a frame shop where the bike checked out to still be in factory specs.  Although it probably had some body damage, I'm sure it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.
I hope you feel better.

You damaged a panel to protect a panel...doesn't seem like a smart move to me. Many people with frame sliders learn what I tell them later on....stuff like this doesn't actually work againist anything but parking lot drops.

But anyway....what you have is an incomplete cage. If someone wants a cage...buy a REAL cage.
Well then I guess other's personal experiences must have just been dreams instead of reality. And the guy I saw about a week ago with a half way ground off aluminum slider and no body damage. . That must have been a dream too. I'm sorry I doubted you, all knowing suzuki4life. Apearently you've been in or seen absolutely EVERY situation and know everything there is to know about frame sliders. . . And as far as damaging a panel to protect it: I didn't. I simply cut a hole in it. Damage would be taking a hammer and bashing it in and scratching it. All I did was cut a perfectly centered, perfectly round hole that if you didn't know any better, would look like it came that way from the factory. So do me a favor, and if all you're going to do is sit there and talk about how stupid it was, or how bad it looks, or how it won't protect anything, or whatever you want to say, then just quit posting in this thread. Because personally, I don't give a crap if you don't like it or think it was stupid. Bottom line is, it's not your bike. It's mine. As I stated before, I'm not tellin you to go out and buy some. So if it bothers you that much just quit looking at this thread and posting here.

typical....someone doesn't jump on the buttkissing bandwagon and you get defensive.
laugh.gif
Personally, if they are the proper color in conjuction to the "just right" color scheme of a bike...the rails and cage setups I have seen look good on a busa.

all knowing? Dunno about that. But I have spent tons of cash to learn what I have and to share that knowledge with the unwilling like yourself.
peace.gif
use it as you will...my message merely states, the cage might save a minor drop. But insurance is the only real fail safe for a crash.

if your's are already cut you will have a bigger gap with the railz because the are not as wide as regular frame sliders

Back