Race Bike vs Street Bike

TonyM995

Registered
So I have 3 things that I feel put a bike into a pure race bike territory, for me.

1) Slider clutch. Watch pro street and grudge bikes. Unless they have the slider ride back, the bikes are pushed to and from the trailer to the track. MTC clutch differences: Clutch Differences – MTC Engineering
Ride back device: Hayabusa 239 Hydraulic Slider Ride Back

2) No charging system. I had a road race bike with the alternator removed and always had anxiety that the battery would die on me. Grudge bikes have this: DME External Starter Box - DME Racing

3) No water or radiator. It’s super common in pure race vehicles.

Drag and Drive car events are my favorite. Steve Morris is the top dog engine builder for these and created a billet engine with water jackets. 4,500 hp. Not a motorcycle but amazing what he’s created.

What makes a race bike for you guys?

For me it's refueling after every run.

Or the fool that climbs on LOL.
I've seen some newbies have one heck of time going down the track like not knowing when to get out of it. One said he had tunnel vision during the run. They think if I can ride a street bike then a race bike is easy too.
Good call. I forgot about a front rack fuel cell.

I’m still curious to hear thoughts from non racers. I don’t consider what I’m building to be a race bike but I’m guessing some may feel otherwise.

Depends on the definition of "race bike."

Race bike is a generalized term...a circuit track bike is a very different animal than a drag or grudge bike.

@Ac41 has a pretty potent circuit track Hayabusa

Hahaha. Ouch but good call. Drive 30-40 minutes and then go straight to the line and make a pass.

Maybe one day I’ll create a drag and drive event for motorcycles.

Bumblebee, apparently I need to work on my communication skills lol. I was talking about drag bikes but I love road racing too. Feel free to comment about either or both.:) I watched a video of AC 41 and it looked fun. I’d love to ride that track on my road race bike.

For road racing you really just need to safety wire, put race bodywork, and remove the coolant from the radiator to be ready to race. Doesn’t mean it will be fast but it would pass tech. You just have to lookup the rules for the org local to you- wera, ccs, etc.

At my local NHRA level drag strip they don’t really do much tech other than check to be sure your helmet is 2015+ snell and they like to see a tether but won’t kick you out for not having one. They do require leathers. I’ve seen videos of guys at other drag strips in jeans.

Drag racing feels like a free for all compared to road racing. And non racers probably have a different definition of what they consider a drag bike compared to what I think. :)

My race bike was drilled, and safety wired everywhere, race fairings which includes a complete lower capable of holding X quarts of fluid (required to pass tech inspection) shift light, quick shifter, best brakes you can afford and lots of tires and brake pads cause you are gonna go through them fast. Cooling system upgrades are good to have as well.

Nothing wrong with taking your street bike to the race track and racing it, (I did that all last year after my racebike blew up) but a lot of ppl in the streets say they have a street car or bike but The only time you hear it run is just before a burnout lol-those people have race motors in street bikes or street cars and still want to claim “street” bcuz it has a license plate

If my memory serves corrrectly, Pro street used to have to go for a 20min or 20mile ride before eliminations and then shut off, and Hot restart within 5min or they were disqualified.

Nothing wrong with taking your street bike to the race track and racing it, (I did that all last year after my racebike blew up) but a lot of ppl in the streets say they have a street car or bike but The only time you hear it run is just before a burnout lol-those people have race motors in street bikes or street cars and still want to claim “street” bcuz it has a license plate

If my memory serves corrrectly, Pro street used to have to go for a 20min or 20mile ride before eliminations and then shut off, and Hot restart within 5min or they were disqualified.
Hi. I will have to call mine a limited street bike. It will have a plate and a Ma inspection sticker. It will be set up to carry a pasenger ( If ang girl is dumb enough to get on the back with me.)

The car Sourceress does this and tries to claim fastest street car in America because they can dump enough methanol in it for a short Street cruise. He only races Pro Mod and doesn’t drive to the starting line or away from it. No coolant = race car to me.

Tom Baileys SMX powered Camaro is the fastest street car to me. He’s got coolant and can drive across the country towing a trailer.

Another car I really like is Geo’s white Supra. They also have a wet block and do drag week.

Everyone needs a little safety wire in their life!

IMAG0425.jpg

Back