R6 Crash

TreyYoung

Registered
Just a few pics of our ride this past weekend in middle TN. I wish I had Willie’s authoring abilities, as this commentary would turn out much better. In short, "skydivr" and a few of the local riders met up this past Saturday around 8AM. As I was following Keith (the safest place to be) and about 3 minutes into the ride, I see a cloud of dust in front of us, and Keith starts shaking his head and holding up his arms. Soon after, Keith took over the EMT role and I became traffic cop.

The flexible 25 year old on the R6 had pulled to much front brake going into the turn (as shown in the pics) and did an Endo, planting himself under that metal gate (also in the pics). All is well with only couple detached tendons, little road rash, and gained experience.

Aftermath.jpg

R6 Crash.jpg

Keith.jpg

As they say in TN, Howdy.jpg

Center Hill.jpg

Glad to here no one else went down with him. Sounds like he was lucky you guys were around to help. Way to go guys :thumbsup:

Hey, who is that ugly folker on the blue bike with chrome wheels?

Is that "Chromie"?

Hey, who is that ugly folker on the blue bike with chrome wheels?

Is that "Chromie"?

Be quiet bluehair :moon: jeez I have got such a dang gut that is embarrassing... Trey you have to stop taking such unflattering pics!

I didn't see the endo. His buddy who was riding with him said he lifted the rear, but I also think he panicked and touched the rear brake and it highsided him and that's how he got flung.

Before we left the ridemaster clearly stated "Ride your own ride" and "the VERY FIRST ROAD" has some 90 degree turns. We were going too fast in the straights IMHO and the bikes started to accordian. You could see clean thru this curve, the surface was great, but this guy got too hot on following his buddy and then couldn't brake fast enough, and had an SR. I can't say much because I did the EXACT SAME THING last year with Tuf - I was just smart enough not to do it on my own bike...:whistle:

Unfortunately, PAIN TEACHES. What I learned with my 'moment' was to not worry so much about the accordian effect unless you had a HUGE straight to work with; slow down your entry speed and get a better setup - use the exit to power thru; and as the speed increases, increase your bike-bike distance as it gives you more time to react to whatever happens in front of you.

May have been a good thing he crashed when he did; the next turn was a 90 LH, and if he'd blown it he'd hit a guardrail and it would have hurt a lot more than the cattle gate...the lead was riding a motard and he's pretty dang good with it. He can probably outturn ALL the sportbikes, but I'm not so sure some of these riders know it yet.

Ouch, poor kid.

I've experienced the acordian effect while at,the bash, I'm still waiting for the 2nd half tho, I've yet to catch those Team Mean kitty riders. :laugh:

I have a full set of black plastics for an 06' R6 if he needs any, let me know.. It's always a good day when you can walk away from a crash...

Back