quicker for eleven bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB_hiyabusa

Registered
anyone who is interested in having, MORE,, grunt!! you can drop one tooth on the front countershaft sprocket. that is, go from a 17 tooth to a 16 tooth. it WILL take a bit off your top end. but how often do you''really'' go 195? the sprocked is the same as any oil cooled 1100 gsxr,(possibly water cooled too, but i don't know for sure) or 1200 bandit. it goes right on and gives a 5.88 percent increase in torque! you WILL, feel the DIFERENCE.......

Actually going from a 17 to a 16 tooth results in a 6.25% increase in gearing.

The stock gear is 17/40 or a ratio of 2.3529
a 16/40=2.50. Thus the difference in gearing of .1471. For an increase of .1471/2.3529.

Now in theory this will also reduce top speed by 6.25%. If we assume a top speed of 192mph (depends on which magazine you believe) you are now left with a top speed of ONLY 180 MPH. Now we are getting down into Blackbird territory.

You are correct though that off line accelleration will be increased a lot as well as wheelie potential. But at the penality of top speed, MPG, and more RPMs at any given speed on the interstate.

If you want a smaller change in gear go up one or two teeth in the rear. This will result in smaller percentage changes see below

1 tooth up = 17/41=2.4118gear ratio = 2.5% increase in torque. New top speed 187.2

2 tooth up = 17/42=2.4706 gear ratio= 5.00% increase in torque. New top speed 182.4

yep I like the stronger torque!
thumbs-up.gif

i just put on my 16 tooth, i already had the 42 tooth rear, and i love it, it feels awesome, i was worried that it would be to buzzy in the rpm range but its fine!
however it my be a cheap thing to do but your speedo is gonna be way off and thats 100 buks to fix, so it isnt really an easy 11 bucks...

had the 16/42 setup since i bought the bike-love the acceleration, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than stock, cuz I was walkin away from my buddies stock '05 on the freeway. Just make sure you watch your chain-they do stretch faster/wear quicker.

well, then what makes equivalent to 16/42 to 17/?? if you not messing with the front?  
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146640543 -->

I won't regear until I've stretched it. Even with the front end lowered and strapped, I can still pull wheelies when I launch hard at the strip.

Hey what gearing is best for wheelies in every gear..more so..2nd and 3rd?i can feel it try and lift when in second, and have never been in 3rd long enough to try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back