quick question

silver&blk01

Registered
i have an 01 busa and i just noticed that i have an oil leak. just hit 22k not to mention i had a huge svc done so i thought it might have been the douche that did the svc and left somehting loose. but come to find out that the clutch push rod seal is leaking. looking at this thing do the cases have to be split to change it?:please:

I think so, this question was asked on a thread sometime back( if I remember correctly) and I think someone had a tricky way to fix it... You might look under "search.."

I looked at it and it could be 50 - 50.
I would go and buy the seal and look at it and that may tell you.
Here is a pic and the parts fiche, and from the look of it (and the work involved) I would find a way to do it without splitting the cases.
The seal is part #32 not?
JMO

DSC09763_edited.jpg

10155_22.jpg

Theres got to be away to do it without splitting the case.. I'm 1/2 crazy anyhow, BUT If I get to the point I have to pull an engine and split the case , while I'm in there its all going to go back with new parts .big bore etc..:)

If I had to guess, from the look of the fiche, it should just pop out with a screwdriver, and a liitle grease on the outside and pop back in.
Again he has to buy the seal anyway, so that will tell how best to do it.

Last edited:
Brake clean the heck out of it. Put the cleaned pushrod in then use some Permatex ultra black where the pushrod goes in and around the edges of the seal. This should give you a temporary fix till you rip her apart. Definitely let it dry before stressing it though.

ok well for future reference i spoke to 1 one my suzuki buddies and the seal does come out without having to split the cases. some are easy to remove some are not. however you must soak the new seal in hot water and lube the crap out of it before re-installing it fyi:thumbsup:

Please tell us how to get the seal out,without splitting case stealership did put my motor back together properly,but I'll never take it back to them.

I'm just guessing, but an exacto knike could cut from the center to one edge.
If you cut it in half (or quarters) it may be easier to get it out?.
I also might try putting a small screwdriver in beisde it between the seal and the case and put some oil in and then work it around, so the whole outside edge is lubed.
Then you could stick one of these toggle botls (used for drywall, slips in and opens up) or something similar to pull on?
I lnow mine is goung to go sometime and I want to know too.
Mabey wait until someone posts, who knows for sure.

toggleboltuse_edited.jpg

I still think that if you made sure it was free all the way around and lubed with oil in there, that it should pop out by a screwdriver in the center. You may have to put a small piece of wood behind the screwdriver to increase the leverage, but it looks like it might come this way.

By the looks of the seal on the fiche, I'd be the first one to go buy one, and "then" see what the outside radius looks like. I gotta believe that if this is simply a single or double barrier seal, that it can be warmed enough that simply prying it out with the end of the push rod may work. It's above the oil level so that leans me towards a simple solution here..... :super:

Ok guys, this is how you do it. Get 2 sheet metal screws & screw each one into the existing seal, opposite each other. Clamp Vise Grips on each screw head & start pulling. Alternately, put pressure on each Vise Grip while pulling out, kind of a rocking motion. After it pops out, CLEAN the inside of the hole the seal was in, GREASE the new seal inside the pushrod hole & the outside edge, & tap the new seal in with a round object just a hair smaller in diameter than the seal. (sockets work well if you don't have seal drivers. If done correctly you will have no leaks! Good luck. PM me for my phone # if you have questions. I build & race Suzukis & have been working on them since the late 70s. My stuff lives so I know what I'm doing. Ray.

Is it possible the original poster can edit the name of this thread to make it easier to find in searches? There is another thread
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/main...43-leaky-clutch-rod-seal-how.html#post1674746
but this one has pictures!
My clutch fluid has been slowly dropping over the summer, is it the same seal as in the post above? I'm really hoping it's a simple repair and the hot water trick works. Can anyone confirm?

The seal we are talking about, and in the pictures does not have anything to do with the clutch fluid.
If it leaks it is an engine oil leak.
If you have a clutch fluid leak it is the master cylinder (on the bars) or the clutch slave cylunder (also in the fiche posted) or at either end of the clutch fluid line where the banjo bolts hold the line into the cylinders. I guess you could also have a hole in that line somewhere also.
You should be able to see some fluid accumulating somewhere and that will let you know.

i completely distroyed the seal taken it out. flat head screw driver etc whatever i could use to get levridge without hurting the cases. and i was told to heat the new seal up in hot water and put honda bond or ht gasket maker around the case where the seal goes and use a pop sickle stick or something that wont damage the seal and slowly work the seal back in. i havent done it yet. however my seals come tommorow and ill let ya know how it goes. i ordered 3 just in case:thumbsup:

Could you please take a pic of the seal bfore you put it in?
Thanks!

Heating the seal will make it more plyable, but cooling it (freezer) would make the diameter smaller, and go in easier would it not?
I would also try and tie a piece of dental floss or something to the seal somehow just in case you pop it right through and it goes inside?
Like I said it is new to me.

Ok guys, this is how you do it. Get 2 sheet metal screws & screw each one into the existing seal, opposite each other. Clamp Vise Grips on each screw head & start pulling. Alternately, put pressure on each Vise Grip while pulling out, kind of a rocking motion. After it pops out, CLEAN the inside of the hole the seal was in, GREASE the new seal inside the pushrod hole & the outside edge, & tap the new seal in with a round object just a hair smaller in diameter than the seal. (sockets work well if you don't have seal drivers. If done correctly you will have no leaks! Good luck. PM me for my phone # if you have questions. I build & race Suzukis & have been working on them since the late 70s. My stuff lives so I know what I'm doing. Ray.

+1 exactly like that. 20 minutes deal in and out.

lol aint fing way the dame seal if half metal behind it and is bigger in diameter than the case whole i cant get it in i have tried everything:rofl:

I just got done throwing my engine together ... I really don't see how it is possible to replace that seal without splitting the case! its not a regular pop in seal.. there is about 1/4" edges holding from simply popping out.

Alex.

Back