Questions to all you camera buffs out there

Juggler

Techie Answer Guy
Donating Member
Registered
First off, I don't know squat about the technical aspects of photography (f-stop, aperture, blah, blah, blah), but I want to learn.

I'm also interested in learning about the artistic/compositional side of photography.

I'd much rather buy too much camera and "grow into it" than buy something low-end, and "grow out of it". That said, I'm no Daddy Warbucks.

What I would like to do is spend around $2k and get a good camera, and some nice lenses (telephoto and macro).

I've looked at the Canons (Rebel XT, 20, and 30), and the Nikons (D50, D70). I have a Canon point and shoot which works very well, but I'm bumping up against speed limitations, and that's starting to bug me.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

I prefer canon for SLRs. The flexibility of the EOS system is great and their automatic settings are fantastic. I have owned the 20D and the 5D. The 20 and 30D feature a reduced size sensor (I believe 1.6x) which will cause any lense to have an apparent magnification when compared to a camera with a full size sensor.
The 20 and 30Ds are excellent cameras to start with and to grow into them. They have 8.2MP sensors and their pictures are excellent. Their price is around the range you want to spend as a kit and you will have some dough left over for some other lens. Canon L class lenses are kind of expensive but Sigma makes competitive lenses at much better prices.

I have heard of the nikons and have borrowed one once, I did not like them but just because I was new to them, maybe if I have more time with them would find them to be a good camera as well.

Whatever you decide, you will enjoy it, and never stop shooting for a second,

hope this helps

jd

100% agree with jd. I've been shooting digital for 10 years. Started with Olympus and went though everything they had including the E10 and E20. I made the switch to Canon and couldn't be happier. I have a digital Rebel and love it. Tons of accessories are available and Canon's DIGiC chip is fantastic.

FWIW - Killboy used a Canon EOS 20D to capture all of the shots of us at the Bash. Sure makes for some nice pics!

Also - PM guclu (I think that's how it's spelled) He recently posted his setup (I think it was Canon, too) with the shots he's taken - very impressive!

Canon fan here as well,if you can afford it,I'd go with an EOS Mk2.

Stepping out on a limb here....
Love Canon but wife uses Nikon! Obsolutely stunning pic's can be had for less than $600.... D50
Then when your ready/comfortable with how to use your digital SLR spend the money on one of the big boys! But, I bet the D50 will do everything you could ever want given the right lens combination. The camera's only rated at I think 6.1 or 2 megs but you'd never know it looking at some of the posters she's done for some of the local soccer teams players.... I think for the most part camera's are a lot like golf clubs! They can only compensate the user to a certain point! Then the user has to use raw talent to benefit from all the added features of the better equipment!

With the money you save buying the D50 you could really get some very nice lenses, cases, lights, etc... I bet you'd come in way under your 2k budget. P.S. wouldn't advise buying the D70, either do the D50 or D200. Wish I knew more but I'm only speaking from the experience I have with the wifey! The Nikon is her photography business camera. I can say however that no matter which way you go neither of the two camera manufactures you've chosen will be a bad choice.

Agree on the Nikon D-50.  I have one and it is a great camera.  Canon v Nikon is an age old argument.  Both are excellant!  In truyth it is a matter of preference, kinda like Ford v Chevy!

For a great breakdown on digital cameras (the site has a lot of other great info too) check out:

How to buy a Digital Camera

I shoot with a D70 and love it. The biggest upside to the Canons is that they can shoot faster sequences; hold the shutter down and you'll shoot 8 shots before you know whats going on. The Nikons are slower in that respect.

As for image quality, you won't see a difference between any of the dSLRs in your price range. Check out the Canons and the Nikons and you really cant go wrong.

Some photos I took with the D70 are

I'm a big fan of Canon DSLR's as well. I have to say that Nikon makes some great ones but I tend to prefer Canon's in camera sharpening process, noise control, and ultimately colors better. I've played around in Photoshop with default setting shots from both and just found that I had to adjust Canon images less to suit my tastes. As for colors, Nikons have always seemed to fall toward a greenish hue in the blues. Canon, to my eye, is a lot more accurate in the way they render things like a blue sky or blue cars or bikes... or really anything with a lot of blue in it.

And when it comes to noise control I think Canon walks on all of the competitors. From the test images I've seen from online reviews and comparisons the Canon is almost always at least one stop better than the competition, and sometimes even more. What I mean is that you can shoot at, say ISO 800 with a Canon DSLR and have equal or less noise than with most competitors at ISO400. May not be a big deal, or selling point for some types of shooting but I found it priceless to be able to step up the speed more on my Canons without killing the files with noise, expecially in lower light people pictures where I didn't want to, or couldn't use a flash.

Anyway, I don't really think you could go wrong with either, but for me the Canon holds a lot of advantages. Check out www.dpreview.com for reviews and comparisons, including sample shots from all the various cameras. Go with whichever appears to suit your budget and tastes the best.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149375701 -->

D100 Nikon is a very nice camera we use this Camera here at our Photo lab @ the Space Center in Fl. to take Pics of Flight Hardware and Post Flight Anomaly’s. It a very simple camera to use and the Pics come out great. I have a guy that works with me that also works in the photo lab that also works for Daytona Speedway he also uses the Nikon D100 and If Im not mistaken The Canon EOS Also but either way you go you cant go wrong with either of these Cameras . One thing to take in concideration is What are you planning to do with the camera ? What size at the Largest Image size are you ever going to print ? Remember the larger the Pics that you want to print the more Mega Pixel size you what to go to keep the high photo quaility of your image .I do a little shooting in our photlab when there short on help but my main job is Calibration and they utilize me in both areas Which to come to find out ,and which it has been qwight some time ,there needing me to the next Launch Post Flight . But Im not worried, because the D100 Nikon is a great camera and easy to use .

Peace
smile.gif

Resizing the pictures for this post! Hope it doesn't take away from the pictures....
There were so many to chose from that I finally narrowed it down to just four. Examples of Studio pictures, Outside portrait, Wildlife, & action...

Nikon1.jpg

Back