Question for you guys...

simply,
you should talk with some of the girls here...
Busachick and Flying Swan. They may be able to answer your concerns a little better. They are fun to talk with anyway..
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input so far...well, it will be my first bike and I have no experience riding them either.  I'm a female...so that might be a big concern.  I was told to get a 750 or 1000.  I'm planning on going to a dealer next week and sitting on them to see how comfortable they are.  Any other info you might need?
Smiley,

In my honest opinion...with your height, weight, and experience, you should probably shoot for a GSXR600. I think that that would be a perfect first bike for you. Then, you should go sign up for the MSF course in your area and learn all that you can. Courses aren't expensive and since you would have your own bike, even cheaper. Should help out on insurance premiums also...depending on where you live. Here in Louisiana, it saves me about $25 a month. Just my 2cents.

Brian

Ooops! I'm sorry. My bad. I forgot to welcome you to the family. Anyway...WELCOME and ENJOY.

Brian

I have a partner that bought a blue/silver Busa for his first bike....he's about 5'2" 110 lbs. He has had about eight wrecks in one year of riding his Busa. He can ride but the weight and seat height of the Busa poses a real problem for him and his is even lowered. Probably not a good idea for you.

Again, for your first bike I'd recommend nothing more than a 600. Trust me those are DAMN fast. I've ridden a Katana 600, a Gixxer 600, 750 and the Busa.

The 600's are just as quick between 10,000 and redline. The problem with these bikes is you can get going way too fast for your comfort level very quickly. If you then panic...well, you know.

Here is my HONEST opinion for a girl of your size.

Get a Kawasaki EX250. It is what my wife started on. 3500 miles later she moved to a Gixxer 600 and loves it. It is a great learner bike, you'll pay close to $2500... you can't go wrong with it as a starter. You can sell 'em easy too, I know.

If you insist on having a little more, I'd go with the SV650.

Honestly I'd stay away from the Gix600 and the R6 etc. They are damn fast with my 180lbs, and with your weight will do an accidental wheelie pretty easily.

Just my recommendations to make it fun and safe, not trying to shoot you down. WELCOME TO SPORTBIKIN' !!

This is your first bike, but perhaps you have a lot of experience on someone elses bike. Let us know.

Important "notice" and welcome to the Board...I am 51 years
old or young..however you want interpet it.....I got Lot's of riding experiance..The Busa..makes me want go "overboard"
all the time...The "brain" is the main factor in staying alive on a Busa....Are you a level headed person...most of us are....
But someone said a while ago..If horsepower corrupt's the Hayabusa Corrupt's ABSOLUTELY!! TRUE!!!!!!! Sheez..when i was 16 i had to ride a moped....all 39cc's of pure one horsepower..ooooooohhhhhh! now onesixty..yea!! be careful!

Hi SmilyPr4U,
Welcome to the board. Wow, a busa for a first bike. my opinion absolutely no. Why? It's the most dangerous bike you could possibly be riding as an experience rider and even deadlier if you're a new rider. That's my opinion. I personally started small, 125 dirtbike, 250 street, 450..500...600..650...800...then Busa. That's how my story went. Take a course..get some advice from the professionals, ride withinyour capabilities with people who care, get a bike you can push and pickup, get lots of experience before riding a busa..that's 2 cents. Anyways, I'm one that likes to play it safe. Hope that helped. Take a course, buy the right gear and have fun getting the experience you need. Ciao
smile.gif

Hope to hear from you again.

For those who don't know yet I'm a girl and no, I don't have experience riding yet. I'll be taking a true beginner course today and the basic one on February. Thank you for the replies and advise given, they really help a lot. Based on what I've been told by everybody I'll be taking it slower than what I thought while I learn how to handle the bike and stuff. I really appreciate the help since that's what I was looking for. Hopefully some they I'll join you guys w/a Busa! Meanwhile, I'll be sharing the riding experience only. Take care y'all!!!

For those who don't know yet I'm a girl and no, I don't have experience riding yet. I'll be taking a true beginner course today and the basic one on February. Thank you for the replies and advise given, they really help a lot. Based on what I've been told by everybody I'll be taking it slower than what I thought while I learn how to handle the bike and stuff. I really appreciate the help since that's what I was looking for. Hopefully some they I'll join you guys w/a Busa! Meanwhile, I'll be sharing the riding experience only. Take care y'all!!!
Good luck Smily.... and hope you enjoy the riding course. We really are a decent bunch of people here, well, most of us (he he). Stick around and you can learn a lot about riding MCs, Mods, and bantering (he he again).

argue.gif

Thanks Postal! Yeah, you guys should let me know tips that I should know now that I'll be learning! Remember I'm a
40__s.gif
at riding!
biggrin.gif

You know, this topic really gets me going.

First of all, welcome to the board.  You will find this informative, entertaining, and educational.  

If this has already been said in previous posts, then I missed it.  Get a Dirt Bike and bust your butt a few times.  It will teach you a lot about your self, and if you posses the real desire and skill to ride a motorcycle.  Do not take this as a challenge or offensive.  But, dirt riding is a great, low cost experience to get the feel of riding.

No MSF course in the world can teach you better bike control than dirt riding.  Really, the acceleration of a dirt bike is quick.  Learn to handle it, then move to the street.  

I have seen people get 600's, wreck them, then still have to pay for them.  Or worse........

Start in the dirt, migrate to the street with a 250, then move to a 600.  It may seem like a slow road, but it will ensure and improve your skills.  Street riding may look unchallenging, but the first time the rear end walks out, and you can climb the tank, get back on top of the bike. get under control, the road will be worth it.

BTW, most of the guys on this board have had five street bikes or more before the Hayabusa.  I had four dirt bikes, three street bikes before the Hayabusa.

Not to preach
brave.gif

B. Ray

BTW, most of the guys on this board have had five street bikes or more before the Hayabusa.  I had four dirt bikes, three street bikes before the Hayabusa.
had 3 dirt bikes and the 'busa is my 4th street bike.

I would have killed myself dead in the first half mile if the 'busa had been my first bike.

.. back on topic.. whatever bike you get hang around and talk with us. We are cooler than any other site anyway (well.. I make it that cool when I'm posting anyway teehee! )
oops.gif

Our family has both extreams. Last year I took the riding course and and jumped right on the monster. I'm 6'2" and around 190 lbs. There have been time or two when I needed my leverage to keep the bike from falling down. Being big help when moving slow. Soon after me and my girlfriend have put more than 12,000 miles in five months. She has taken the safty coures and now rides an EX500. She has dropped a couple of time but nothing was hurt but her pride
sad.gif
Now she is moving up to a GSXR 600 with a 750 FI motor. She feels that starting with a smaller and cheaper bike she had less to worry about. Now she has less to worry about with the more expensive and heavyer bike.My Webpage

ME_AND_NICK.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
First bike and want it to look like a sport bike? How about getting a ninja 250? I'm not sure about the height of the bike, but that should do the trick for you.

Just another tip. My wife is 5 nothing. She had no experience. took a MSF course. I put her on a Suzuki GS500. The only modifications to the bike are a Corbin gunfighter & lady seat, Suzuki bikini fairing. The rear preload is set to the firmest setting. She has no problem getting the balls of her feet down on level roads. GS's are cheap and haven't changed in over 11 years. Used ones are even cheaper! BTW the 454 mentioned in an earlier response is an old Kawasaki cruiser type bike. Good luck & keep her shiny side up!

Well I've made up my mind and if I get a new one I'll be getting the GSX R600 SE!!! Thank you for the advice given, I really appreciate it and anything I should know about whatever related to bike riding...please tell me so. I will appreciate as much input as I can get on this! Wish me luck!!!

Vanessa
biggrin.gif

Smily “Vanessa” welcome to the board.  I’m glad to hear that you’re taking the MSF course, I wish more people would - (experienced as well as new riders).  A word of advice on the GSXR600 – you have probably sat on one and felt that the bike fit you well, but this is a very powerful bike.  The new generations of sportbikes have a very aggressive riding position, even experienced riders find the bikes hard to handle at slow speeds as well as extended rides.  

If your mind is made up on a 600cc bike and not a smaller displacement bike.  My suggestion would be the Suzuki SV650, this is still a powerful bike, but is a little more forgiving.  The bike is easier to handle and is more comfortable on extended rides.  A female friend of mine who is about your size has an SV650 that has been lowered 2 inches and she loves the bike.  She started out on smaller bikes and moved up to the SV650.

You can find information on the SV650 at the following forum.
http://www.svrider.com/

Best of luck on your decision.
eyes.gif

Back