Question for CDL-Truck Drivers

If the truck was run 5 days per week, 50 weeks per year, that would be about 120 miles per day. I haven't driven one in 20 years, but my dad drove until a drunk driver retired him on Mothers' day 2005. He would put 300k per year on every year. The Peterbuilt that he ran for the last 20 years had well over 5 million miles when he sold it.

and what they said about cabovers is spot-on. I drove a GMC Astro 95 cabover for Dad a couple summers while he drove an old KW conventional cab. The cabover was the bounciest thing I ever rode in.

I always hated cab overs. I dont drive a truck anymore, but I do maintain my license, you never know.

You too! Wow,, I thought I was the only one that did that! :laugh:

So,, what was the question about this truck again? Whether it was worth getting into to run containers to and from the Port of Oakland? Or the quality of cab-overs. if that was what it was,, I think cab-over are noisy work-horses.

Feel fortunate that you have a higher paying job,, and all of that noise will go away! :laugh:

is kind of funny, my trucks got 200K plus a year and closer to 300K when I was training drivers..

So glad I got out of trucking. I remember when I was first interested in it and this old guy that was training me said, "If you have the chance,, get out and don't continue,,, at whatever cost!" He hated it and wanted me to know.

Your getting a job driving it not buying it right?

Take the job, if your worried about it's road worthiness stop at the first scale you come to and ask the CHP to inspect it.

If it's not they will give you a list of must fixes for you to pass on to the owner.

HAHA just be glad it isnt a Day cab.. Last truck I drove was a Day cab with a cable wench for the low-boy with a 60ton Mantis Crane sittin on it. Truck drove like hammered ***, and was comfortable as, well I don't know it just plain stunk.

Back