Question about Mods

liqsilr1

Registered
Hello everyone. Been a long time fan of the Busa, but only now been able to get one...

Anyways, I know that this is quite a newbie question, but I have never owned a NEW bike before, but...  

Just bought a new Busa.  Also included a full Yoshi pip, PC3R, and K&N Filter.  The dealership asked if I want all three installed before taking delivery.  My question is...  Don't you have to wait till after break-in prior to doing any mods like that?  Doesn't this void the warranty?  If so, why would the dealer ask if I wanted it done?  BTW, they are charging me for the labor...  Many thanks for your replies.

HT

<!--EDIT|liqsilr1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1068864721 -->

Welcome to the board. :D

Don't see any reason to wait for end of break-in to install mods. If you follow factory break-in suggestions you won't get to play with your mods right away though. As for warranty, your dealer is pretty much the deciding factor. If you're concerned about the warranty I'd get them to agree to cover you on it if they install the mods. Might even get something in writing.

Someone else may come along and offer better advice than mine though. It has happened before. ;)

I'd say go for it! Have the dealer install the mods and get in in writing. You will be that far ahead on the mods and make some of us here feel pretty bad. Go through the break-in as suggested and be ready to take advantage once its complete. :D

There was a guy on the Yamaha cruiser board I visit who bought a $6000 bike. He then proceeded to order practically every item in their accessories catalog to install on his new ride. He financed almost $12k!! :eek:

About 8 months later he fell on hard times and had to sell his bike, but he wanted his payoff of $13.5k!!!!!!! He couldn't understand why no one wanted to buy his low milege bike, plus it had every piece of chrome that Yamaha offered.

Of course if he had financed only $6k he probably wouldn't have had to sell it.

Liqsilr, those parts probably cost close to $1200, plus around $300 for labor to install them. I am assuming you are financing the Busa and mods, if so, I think that is a bad investment. Paying cash got the parts? Do it. :)

Thanks for the advice all. I saved up for this bike, about a year. I traded a 02 R1 and paid some cash for it, so it's paid off. I had enough to go ahead and get the mods, since I basically paid cash for it I got a pretty good deal, considering that everything in Hawaii has the Hawaii mark-up. The new 04 Busa's will be going for around $13K OTD. I got an 03 for $12200 with all the toys mentioned. Probably sucks by mainland standards, but that's pretty good for here...

Will installing these mods cause any damage? Will it change anything if I still follow normal break-in procedure? Thanks All...

how handy are you with a wrench? If capable then don't pay to have someone else play with your ride. If you don't trust yourself with the new toy, that is easily understandable as well, most don't want to try to take the fairings off for about the first 6 months

Back