Problems w/ Single-Sided Swingarms

SavoBusa

Registered
I have heard that single-sided swingarms on Busas is a really bad idea (with wide tires) and turns the bike into a trailer-queen, unable to handle the power going to the single-sided wheel and eventually breaking stuff. I was wondering if anyone had any proof of this claim. Maybe some pics or stories about the damage incurred. Just curious since I was considering getting a single-sided since I like the way they look. I don't race or ride hard, mostly just cruise. :beerchug:

it all depends on how it's built. i'm holding out for pix and first hand experience of exactly what you're asking about. i'd love a single sided 240 at two over or so.

Ducati has raced single sided arms for a long time... so it can work...

the rest about wide tires and the stretch? probably not too much of a "stretch" :)

Ducati has raced single sided arms for a long time... so it can work...

the rest about wide tires and the stretch? probably not too much of a "stretch" :)

them among others.

some of the sexiest bikes ever made imho are single sided bikes. but the single side swingarms are heavier than a traditional swingarm. and the bigger the tire the more it and the wheel weighs that puts more stress on the bearing and hub.

i think cs has one of the best looking designs followed by greggs.

Reactions: Ham
I have been selling single sided swingarms for Hayabusa's for two years now. There are several on the market, The one I sell is the GC kit and is built to allow your Hayabusa to perform as Suzuki intended. Our kits allow you to run either a 190 or 240 Tire. I'm really not good at doing long write ups but I'm more than happy to answer specific questions you have. I will try and address a few already posted and I will post some pics of my own bikes I have run the kit on.
Jon

I have heard that single-sided swingarms on Busas is a really bad idea (with wide tires) and turns the bike into a trailer-queen, unable to handle the power going to the single-sided wheel and eventually breaking stuff. I was wondering if anyone had any proof of this claim. Maybe some pics or stories about the damage incurred. Just curious since I was considering getting a single-sided since I like the way they look. I don't race or ride hard, mostly just cruise. :beerchug:

I have seen damage done to the spindle/drive assembly as a result of improper installation. With the kits, we supply instructions with strict guidelines to follow regarding torque specs and bearing lubrication. If a customer does not install the drive correct it will result in damage to the drive. It is a pretty simple repair as far as time goes, the cost of the replacement parts will hopefully prevent the end user from repeating this mistake ever again. :banghead:
Jon

some pics of ss bikes for u guys

Jacks busa 009.jpg

Jacks busa 029.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

tek 9 pics 034.jpg

tek 9 pics 052.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

NM6W4735.jpg

NM6W4683.jpg

Not bad looking, but I prefer the solid look vs the Ducati "trellis" look of the above pic'd ss swingarms. It's banging on the right side, but the left....eh....leaves some to be desired for my taste.

We have been selling and I have been using a ssswingarms since '99 with problems. They are not wide tire kits but handles a 200 tire with no problems. Have even put them on 300hp busa's without problems.

You'll find in life that there's alot of people that know and will tell you, but have no experience in what they're talking about. Lot's of He said, she said out there.

Do some research and learn firsthand for yourself. Heck, maybe even contact a singlsided arm maker and tell them your concerns. Talking to people that have done it helps too, plus you will get some heads up info that might save you down the road.

jonreed, has the gixxer trelis design been put on a track? that thing looks like some great engineering was done.. just curious if it has earned road course credentials..

I have been selling single sided swingarms for Hayabusa's for two years now. There are several on the market, The one I sell is the GC kit and is built to allow your Hayabusa to perform as Suzuki intended. Our kits allow you to run either a 190 or 240 Tire. I'm really not good at doing long write ups but I'm more than happy to answer specific questions you have. I will try and address a few already posted and I will post some pics of my own bikes I have run the kit on.
Jon

Hi there I have a 2000 busa am trying to get a vfr 750 swingarm into it I was told it can be done any tips ..... mikey.

I'm going to say that is the sort of mod that ends with you dumping the bike on some unsuspecting stiff after lots of effort and money wasted. Biggest problem is you are pushing nearly twice the power of a VFR, don't you think that would call for a different design on the swingarm? Also, the VFR is a V-4 isn't it? That would look completely different at the rear of the motor than a inline 4. This is all wild speculation on my part but that swap sounds like a frank-n-stein in the making to me!

i have never heard of putting a honda swing arm on a busa.

Back