Powder coating

bigdr

Chief Guinness Taster
Donating Member
Registered
Am considering getting my wheels Powder Coated..

For this I imagine I'll have to remove the wheel bearings..

Are they difficult to remove and also can I re-use them..

Yes, they should be removed for powder coating. Bearing arent that expensive to replace. Plus the stock bearings are #### anyways.

Toss the stock Bearings....complete junk compared to what you can get aftermarket.

Might want to drop Vic a pm about the powder-coating, he knows what can and Can-not be done.

be sure to block off all threaded areas as well as the bearing sleeves. Use a good powder coater.

hogger...

To answer your question, YES. But there are better options to had...

If you could clean the grease out of them....I would just leave them in because it's best if they are replaced. You cannot leave the ANY grease in them.
Leaving them in will prevent the coater from overspraying in there

wide world of bearing off ebay offers them complete for about 80.00.

ceramic are nice....but have heard both pros/cons from bearing dealers on them. Standard ones should last you many times longer....and worry free.

after the powder coating.....just use a razor knife to trace the bearing race and remove.
Make sure your cuts are clean.....this will prevent chipping....
tape off most other areas like where the rotors will seat against the wheels and the thread holes. The thickness of the Pc can affect rotor alignment with the calipers....and wear over time...just causing more work for you.

or you could just aska local shop what a good tape to use would be and do that.

a quality shop will cover most of this with you.

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151460425 -->

Thanks BC...

Ireland.gif

Back