Possible new stablemate

TallTom

Registered
Ok I hope this gets some help in the next few days. I love my Busa. I also own a Honda cruiser that is based on the 750 VFR engine. That bike I still own and love, however I am getting tempted at the followng bike. I have an opportunity at an auction this weekend to pick up a 2005 Honda 919. Claims 20K miles and 1 owner but as is usual, I don't believe much until I see it with my own eyes. BUT in reading what I can find on the 919 it sounds like an awesome naked sportbike. Based on the CBR900 engine it is 3-D fuel injection system and mapped for low end street fighter use. Something like 470 lbs and lots of low end grunt and 40 MPG to boot. Has great brakes and an undertail exhaust I love. It will never be my chromed out baby but at 7 years old and carberauted my 750 is starting to get long in the tooth for technology. She still holds her own with any Harley out there but the new 600s give her a run for her money.

Here is where I need help. Does anyone have any first hand experience about the 919? I can't find many for sale but the reviews tout it as a pretty awesome naked sportbike. I also am going to have to make sure I know the value. It is showing a low of 4900 and a high of 6100. Does that sound about what I can expect in the real world?

Any issues I should watch out for on this bike? Weaknesses, expensive gremlins awaiting me? If she is anything like my Magna, it is a bulletprrof troublefree bike to own, but my 750 is based on a completely different engine and is way de-tuned to keep her safe for reliability.

As is the nature of auctions, they don't disclose much and the bike could have been beat to death at an early age but the pic they post shows it to look pretty decent from a completeness and overall cosmetic look. May have a toasted engine but you can't do any evaluation until the day of the auction and then it is usually not opitimal conditions. They may claim a dead battery etc so that it may not be known the engine condition and you bid that risk accordingly. Assuming I have a toast engine, how bad could that cost? I'm not new to buying bikes but I am admittedly un-educated on the 900 Honda. All I know is recalling the CBR900 is a very capable bike with what appears to be a solid reputation engine

I had one for a couple of years. Excellent, solid as a rock no issues at all. Sold the bike because I wanted more power went with the B-king. But I loved the 919, never had 1 issue with the bike. Its power is very similiar to a 750. You will like it as a second bike!

Thanks PJ. That is encouraging to some extent. Somewhat surprised it isn't much different than the 750 in power. I sort of figured it to be a lot more grunt.

Back