Please Put my mind at ease... or any advise?

mrracer98

Registered
I have an 2003 with 5800 miles and when RPM's are coming down from a rev (5-6k), I hear what I believe to be the cam chain (not 100% sure). Does that sound normal to you all? (new owner) It is definetly not the clutch basket, noise as that is very easy to delineate. The noise I am hearing is kind of like a slapping rattle is the best way I can describe it Not real loud, but it is there.... In gear or out of gear I can hear it, Warm or coldish (i never rev while cold).

I am wondering if it is normal, or if I should check my cam chain tension adjuster. Or anything else...you can think of?

I know everyone says "gen 1's are noisy!" and that "they're bullit proof" But I am wondering also if anyone else has heard this?

Thanks for any advice... lol or moral support. :laugh:

iv got an 07 and i had the same issue at about the same mileage. it ended the cam chain. its hydraulic on mine. i did a search on it and found how to fix it. i would check into the chain tension adjuster. good luck :beerchug:

So after looking online at diagrams, can someone explain what brian said about hydraulic tensioners. How do these function, or lack there of? Where is the fluid from? Engine oil, and varible based on oil pressures? Because if that is the case I could see why I would have chain slap when I revved to the motor without load, as pressure would be less when the RPM's are decreasing... putting less tension on the cam chain....

sorry for the lack of info, the hydraulic tensioner on the 07 runs off of the engine oil. im not sure at what point the gen1 was fitted with this setup. the earlier years had to be adjusted manually. when the hydraulic set up is working correctly you should not hear the cam chain slap. i will try to find the thread again to help you out, it will be later tonight when i get back to work.

i did a search on it and found how to fix it.

How did you fix it... I found a thread relating to taking out the main bold in the adjuster and using an allen wrench while taking slack out of the drive line and pushing it in to 'tighten' the cam adjuster another click... is that what your refering to?

iv looked and looked, i cant find the original thread that has all the info about this. i loosened the 2 allen wrench bolts and backed them both out slowly. the original thread said you would hear a click and at that point to tighten the 2 bolts. i never heard a click and after getting the bolts about half way out i tightend them back up. (i took 1 bolt out to see how long they were before loosening the other 1) this did fix my problem. im gona keep looking for the thread and see if i can find more out for you. ill send you a pm if i find anything.

Back