Planning on going to Suches this weekend.

xchief1320

Registered
Never been, So any tips/advice on the area would be great. Any roads I just have to see? Roads to stay away from, ect..

Also anyone know of any good places to stay that are safe for bikes? Trailering the bike there but it's an open trailer unless I borrow one. So I want it to be safe..

Thanks

Last edited:
stay at any of their awesome state parks-we always rent a cabin-the roads are incredible-but must stay focused 150%-especially if you get into it as opposed to cruising-let the locals pass and hold your line cause they are faster than you----

Thanks alot for the info..

We're looking for a cabin/motel to stay in now. Might end up bringing our 2 dogs so that's making it way harder to find a pet friendly place to stay.

Definately some good riding there. Make sure you check out the local Aprillia dealer and cafe. Good stop to look and eat. They rent bikes if you are interested as well. (No affiliation here, just a good stop mid day.) They are basically at the bottom of Blood Mountain which is an awsome ride.
Riders Hill - Home of Black Mountain Cycles, European Motorsports, Tire Technicians, Inc. and Six Gap Cafe - Dahlonega, GA - Home

The other road to make sure you ride is South out of Ducktown Hwy 60 down to Suches. Look for this sign!

IMG_4369.jpg

Found a cabin BUT but it seems it's gonna rain Saturday, So now i'm not sure if i want to go all that way and get rained on..???

Oh and thanks alot TwoBrothersBusa for the suggestions and info..

Last edited:
one thing i learned about north georgia after going many times is you can't go by the weather forecast-we went last october and it was supposed to rain for 3 days but all we got was one storm in the middle of the night and sunshine the rest of the time-i would go unless it's a really big system moving in-one more hint is to stay in lower gear with higher revs when in the real twisty stuff-also the road signs are very accurate so be careful of going in too hot cause it will definitely get your heart pumping-----

Yeah i'm watching the weather closely and will see how it is as the weekend gets closer.
I've heard good things of suches area roads. I've been to the Gap a few times but it's too crowded and too many cops. Even though I don't haul butt it still sucks to see them every few turns, Takes the fun out of it. So I figured I would give this place a shot.:thumbsup:

Suches is a nice place to ride around, Blood Mountain, Wolf Pen Gap Road, Richard Russell Scenic Highway, Head over to Helen...

Plenty of nice places to tool around.

We put it off till this coming weekend. We'll be there Friday and leave to head home Monday. Memorial day is packed up there from what I was told so we figured wait a week and let the crowd thin out.

Thanks again for the great suggestions. We'll be sure to check all those places out..:beerchug:

The cabin is off Wolf Pen Gap road.

We plan on riding to Helen after hearing so much about the roads that way..

Thanks

We made it and after some early rain we got to ride this evening. Wolf Pen gap road is very fun.. Might ride to Helen tomorrow not sure yet.

I hope you get this in time to use it, but here are maps & videos of other great roads in the area.
Maps
"The Loop" (129 From Turners Corner to Appalachian Trail) is the most heavily enforced.

Wow thanks alot for that site.. We'll probably ride some of it tomorrow if the weather holds out.

We rode the Gap today. Cops were out in full force, and it stormed on us on the way down the hill and all the way back to Suches.

Our cabin (Morning Mist is it's name) turned out to be a POS so we checked out today and are staying in a hotel in Dahlonega.

What's some good roads to ride from Dahlonega? To Helen?

Thanks alot guys..

A good stop for your first cup of coffee is just 4 miles north of Dahlonga, on Highway 60. Riders Hill - Home of Black Mountain Cycles, European Motorsports, Tire Technicians, Inc. and Six Gap Cafe - Dahlonega, GA - Home Nice place, good coffee and muffins, Aprilia dealer. For a real country breakfast, ride up to Blairsville, at the town square, a little place called Hole in the Wall, monster omelettes! The Hole in the Wall Cafe Blairsville, GA Historic Restaurant,Blairsville GA cafe, Blairsville Georgia cafe, The Hole in the Wall, The Hole in the Wall Cafe Blairsville Georgia, The Hole in the Wall Cafe Blairsville GA, Blairsville Georgia restaurant They serve breakfast til 2pm.
Go north on 60 til you get to the rockpile, take a right on 180, it'll t-bone into 129. Turn left, going north on 129, it'll take you all the way to the town square in Blairsville. If you go back(south on 129, about 7-8 miles from Blairsville, a left at Highway 180 will take you on a good ride all the way to Highway 75. Turning right there will take you to Helen, on a road you'll enjoy.
Good news is the weather! They saw no chance of rain til after 4PM. I'll be up there , two up, from 8 or 9 am, til early afternoon. I'll pm ya my cell phone number if ya want to meet up. Enjoy the ride! If you pass this one, wave!

web1.jpg

Back