PC vs. ECU? looking for a dyno shop in Chicagoland

motopokep

Registered
I'm confused, so after installing slipons I have the option of either getting a power commander with a preprogrammed map, or taking it do a dyno shop for tuning ECU?

I take it tuning the ECU yields better performance than PC and standard map? What's roughly the price difference?

Also, does anyone know of a bike dyno shop in Chicagoland, preferrably NW suburbs? I don't imagine the shop at the dealer usually does it.

thanx.

I see, this thread is a little different from my other one, this is more of a question of PC vs. ECU tuned, which is one is more pricey? So I've read that even stock bikes can be tuned, and since I put the slipons, I was thinking of doing this, but if you're saying it won't make much of a difference, except maybe in 1-2 hp, it's not worth the buck.

In my opinion ECU tuning even a stock bike is an improvement. Should improve throttle response, midrange power, and all around the bike should run better afterward.. Just my $.02

I don't know any shops in Chi-town though.

Welcome to the org!! :laugh:

Ecu editor can remove the bikes restrictions, that alone is a very noticeable improvement.:thumbsup:

Ecu editor can remove the bikes restrictions, that alone is a very noticeable improvement.:thumbsup:

are you talking top speed limiter only? or accelleration? I don't see myself doing above buck eighty seven on the roads around here...got up just under a few times though.

i'll call around some shops, if tuning is only couple hundred bucks, i'll do it

are you talking top speed limiter only? or accelleration? I don't see myself doing above buck eighty seven on the roads around here...got up just under a few times though.

i'll call around some shops, if tuning is only couple hundred bucks, i'll do it

The bike has restrictions in 1st through 4th, and the top speed limiter in 6th. Ecu editor removes them together now.
The differences in 1st and 2nd are Very noticeable, the bike is much stronger.
The ecu editor does just what the name says, allows you to change almost anything in the ecu. Some functions are for on a dyno only, but there's a few useful functions you can do too. The restrictions removed obviously, turn off pair valve, turn fan(s) on at a lower temp, adjust stps(gen2 only). All 8 injectors can be controlled also.
A power commander only can map fuel(and 4 injectors) and ignition, an autotune function for it is also available.
There's a nationwide list of ecu editor tuners, I'll see if i can find it.
There's nothing wrong with a power commander either, the ecu editor is simply the evalution of technology. Some tuners are unfamiliar with ecu editor and don't want to fool with it.
If you can only find a tuner that uses power commander near you, you can have a pc on your bike for the fuel/ignition dyno map and still use the ecu editor for the above mentioned functions.
The ecu editor doesn't stay on your bike, just a 2 wire jumper(unless you want the hassle of repinning ecu plugs, and the 2 wire jumper uses exhisting empty pin locations on both ends).
Ecu editor is very easy to install and to use for basic functions. You can also flash as many busa's and gsxrs you like, only needing a jumper for each and the models availble for which of either ecu editor you buy(gen1 or 2). I'm no tuner either, but it is my understanding that it's dyno/mapping abilities are very similiar to the pc and easy to use also.
Greg Smith is also excellent to deal with.
Here's a couple links.:beerchug:

ecueditor.com - The Ultimate Engine Tuning Software for Hayabusa, GSX-R and B-King Motorcycles

boostbysmith.com - Home

Back