Pair Valve mod

As explained to me by an instructor at MMI.

The only reason to do the pair valve mod is to save 1-1/2 lbs of weight.  What the pair valve does is inject fresh air into the exhaust system to dilute the exhaust and fool the analyzer into thinking the bike is running cleaner than it really is (the solution to polution is dilution.)  Removing the valve & hoses will not give yo any more horsepower.

My bike is stock and the question was asked in this context.  I didn't ask him about a bike with headers so I'm not sure what the skinny is.
Your teacher need to go back to school if he thinks that is how it works.
And now you know why new Motorcycle Tech suck at dealers with teaching like this.
The reason for it is you inject cold air into a hot exhaust gas it will burn so it will also burn unburnt fuel thus making less emmisions. the reason for the backfire after installing aftermarket exhaust is the unburnt fuel does not get trapped due to free flow air and travels futher down the muffler hit the out side air and Bang you have backfire.

And to think you are paying good $$$ for Bullshit
Thank you for the clarification JC! I think tho that even with your additional information, removing the valve will still not gain any HP.

And luckly I didn't pay for it. That was a free Seminar. I did get to dyno the bike tho.
biggrin.gif

hawaii, I did it as well and after taking off that pair valve (California emissions piece of poop) and adding my full system,
I lost close to 20 + lbs. on the BUSA.

she is runnin sweeeettt!!!! and no backfiring!

Unless you just want to remove all the stuff, you can plug the line from the airbox to the PAIR with a bolt or marble and the popping will stop. You don't save enough weight to matter by removing it all, and any hp gains are debatable...
rock.gif

Here's all the PAIR garb removed... The long rubber hose is the one you plug to stop the air from being pulled from the airbox and injected into the exhaust.
wink.gif

IMG_009.jpg

Oh, and be forewarned... It's quite possible that your bike won't pass emissions testing with the PAIR removed/plugged. If you have to pass inspection to get tags and stuff, plugging the hose and unplugging it for testing might be a better option.
rock.gif

Just a note to anyone interested, pcv will decrease pressure on the backside of the rings which will keep them from fluttering at high rev's (thus allowing them to keep a good seal) Sooo, quite possible letting the Pair setup evacuate the case may help do this.
Hope this isn't too redundant.

As explained to me by an instructor at MMI.

The only reason to do the pair valve mod is to save 1-1/2 lbs of weight.  What the pair valve does is inject fresh air into the exhaust system to dilute the exhaust and fool the analyzer into thinking the bike is running cleaner than it really is (the solution to polution is dilution.)  Removing the valve & hoses will not give yo any more horsepower.

My bike is stock and the question was asked in this context.  I didn't ask him about a bike with headers so I'm not sure what the skinny is.
Your teacher need to go back to school if he thinks that is how it works.
And now you know why new Motorcycle Tech suck at dealers with teaching like this.
The reason for it is you inject cold air into a hot exhaust gas it will burn so it will also burn unburnt fuel thus making less emmisions. the reason for the backfire after installing aftermarket exhaust is the unburnt fuel does not get trapped due to free flow air and travels futher down the muffler hit the out side air and Bang you have backfire.

And to think you are paying good $$$ for Bullshit
The physical event that takes place is the cat ends up running hotter, therefore more hydrocarbons get burned.
But yeah that is right.

I am installing a full Yosh system Tuesday....so what is the easiest way to tackle this job if I had all the needed tools to do it right? (ie got a full Snap-On quarter drive set to make tight quarters situations easier , etc.)

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117392070 -->

Go to autozone and get your own gasket material. Just cut them to size. 1500 miles and no problem.

<!--EDIT|GSXTacy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118761712 -->

I just bought the sweet little block off kit and gasket kit from Schnitz Racing. Can't wait to get my Yosh 4-2-1 on.

Unless you just want to remove all the stuff, you can plug the line from the airbox to the PAIR with a bolt or marble and the popping will stop. You don't save enough weight to matter by removing it all, and any hp gains are debatable...
rock.gif

Here's all the PAIR garb removed... The long rubber hose is the one you plug to stop the air from being pulled from the airbox and injected into the exhaust.
wink.gif
I Had a car that "popped" on decelaration, love that sound!

kinda like a "cackle"

What the heck, if not HP gains, I'll stick to the sound
smile.gif

Just a note to anyone interested, pcv will decrease pressure on the backside of the rings which will keep them from fluttering at high rev's (thus allowing them to keep a good seal) Sooo, quite possible letting the Pair setup evacuate the case may help do this.
                         Hope this isn't too redundant.
Yep they call it the sucker mod...no pun intended
tounge.gif
I read about it somewhere..its suppose to give you negative crankcase pressure so the motor will spin up that much easier. The results seemed kind of debatable tho. Do a search on it and see what you can find...

Back