Painters: questions / tips

Narcissus

Hayabusa Immortal
Registered
I have all the panels I need and will be prepping them for paint job number two.

ISSUE 1: I will be painting black and white again but I need to separate the pearl. Last time I mixed it with a clear coat, over the pure base color. I want black with a slight pearl highlight, not charcoal this time. What products are best? Base binders?

ISSUE 2: Flex additives. I did not add these and it worked fine, except for a few repair spots. The big issue was chipping on the front of the lowers, though. I'd like to minimize this as I plan on putting a lot more miles yet.

TIPS / PRODUCTS: Wet sanding and polishing? I spent a LOT of time sanding and hand-polishing the panels, which I managed to get perfectly smooth. I'd like to spend a LOT less time getting the same effect. Any good machines or products to cut the time down without erasing the paint in two seconds over the various edges and corners?

Finally, any good paint distributors? I think I got mine through House of Kolor or some related site (don't remember the place right now). I should be prepping this thing over the next few months, given the extremely sparse spare time I have had. It shouldn't be a month-long PITA when I get ready to spray this time around (knock on wood).

thumbs-up.gif

WTF??? NARC? Bro where ya been man? Darn good to see you here!!!!

Hope all has been going good for ya bro, I know you were on a schedule. Is that working out for ya well.

Anyhoo, Hope your painting for fun and not for repair.

Have a good one.

Rev

The only way to seperate the pearls like you want it to tape it out with a "good" tape that won't peel your basecoat off. Paint it one color, cure for a day, then use the green 3m masking tape, it worked great on my TL. Cover the other areas with newspaper if you don't get to happy with the paint gun or use a quality masking paper. I never use flex additive. I you want to cut down on the chipping, put less hardner in the clear coat. Side effect of that: scratches easier and softer. What paint gun do you shoot with? A sata jet is hard to beat. They seem to bust the paint up better that others resulting in less orange peel on the surface that you are talking about sanding and polishing. Wet sand with a block with 1000, then 1500 then go to a compound like 3m perfect-it or meguier's diamond cut and buff the thing out. PM me if you need more help. My busa is getting ready to be painted. When I get up in the morning it starts.
cool.gif

I know about masking and whatnot already. I originally sprayed the white, masked and then black. Then I sprayed a clear with pearl over it all, and then a final catalyzed clear to seal it all.

At the time, I did not know if adding pearl to the base would result in a 'flat' look or would hide the pearl. I want to make sure I have depth to the coat.

I had talked to BulletTrain some time ago and he mentioned using 'base binders', a clear base coat where color and pearl could be mixed as a base... (or what would go between the base and the clear, rather).

I'm using the DeVilbiss Millenium HVLP, iirc. Shoots pretty well, so I'm covered equipment-wise. I just need paint at this point. I'm not going to bother re-building a paint booth like last time as I ended up having dust problems with the old one anyway. That was a total waste of time and materials.
tounge.gif

Attached some pics for anyone who may or may not remember...

IMG_0238_SMALL.JPG

WTF???  NARC?  Bro where ya been man?  Darn good to see you here!!!!

Hope all has been going good for ya bro, I know you were on a schedule.  Is that working out for ya well.

Anyhoo, Hope your painting for fun and not for repair.

Have a good one.

Rev
Rev, I'm alive, believe it or not!
laugh.gif

I'm painting for fun AND repair!
biggrin.gif

The right-side and front got wasted when I was hit last March.

Then the tank got dented; the front fender I bought off eBay for $35 shipped was completely wasted; and my front wheel cut in half. That was back in August when I dozed off and slid off the road over a ditch and into a metal fence. The damage other that that was suprisingly minimal. It still runs great, just naked right now (although I haven't ridden in over two months).

Hey Narcissus!!! Where the heck ya been hidin' dude?
rock.gif
Hopefully that Texas Busa Bash is going to be this summer.

dont put as many pearl coats..do the base colors,then one coat with the clear mixed with the pearl..then a few coats of just clear..

depending on what color pearl..most grays/silver are going to make the black look gray..

try a blue tint pearl...

dont put as many pearl coats..do the base colors,then one coat with the clear mixed with the pearl..then a few coats of just clear..

depending on what color pearl..most grays/silver are going to make the black look gray..

try a blue tint pearl...
I NEED to separate the colors. Two different bases, two different pearls. One pearl coat over the whole thing won't do.

The white I shot came out PERFECT. The black turned into a charcoal, which I hated.

With the intricate masking I did, there is also no way to shoot white, cure, mask, then shoot black, cure, mask again, shoot pearl 1, cure, mask yet again, shoot pearl 2.

rock.gif

Hey Narc,

I know this thread is about painting and I apologize for jacking it, but are you going to do another Busa Flyer for us??

Thanks,

DJ

Hey Narc,

I know this thread is about painting and I apologize for jacking it, but are you going to do another Busa Flyer for us??

Thanks,

DJ
Eek! I haven't kept up with those the last year or two, have I?
rock.gif

I think I have last years' colors saved and just need to pull the EPS files for this year. I might get to it.... Maybe.... Ugh.
bomb.gif

Back