Paint vs new fairing panels

topperdoggle

Registered
Just a question for the paint gurus amongst us of us who prefer factory colour schemes...

Do you think a good sprayer can approach the factory quality paint? I'm considering getting some rash touched up but the sprayer tells me that he has to do the whole panel. Now, he has an excellent reputation, but he ain't cheap, and new panels can be had for not much more money.

Hence I was wondering, if I'm going to splash the dough, if I'd be better off buying new panels from Suzuki and selling the (very serviceable) existing ones on here or Ebay or wherever?

In edit: I'm new here - if this isn't the best section then can a mod feel free to move it, thanks.

:welcome: aboard! :hello:

I'm sliding this over to General since it has a better chance of being seen there. We have several members that do paint so they may chime in...

With it being the Memorial Day holiday weekend here in the States, it may be next week before they check in...but who knows...

In the meantime, please post up some pics of your ride ;)

Thanks a lot, maybe I should have posted next week... It's a Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK, so lots of people out today including a cute blonde lady on a blue '08. We chatted a little at the lights but they changed too soon - next time I'll give my phone number /first/. :)

As for pics, when I've had a chance to take some, I'll post them. I have some pics of my other ride here: Picasa Web Albums - Topper - Motorbikes

:welcome:

I'd replace the panel with OEM and sell yours. It will be much easier and less chance of a possible headache.

Good Luck!

i have been an auto painter now for 21yrs if your not getting a custom job and like the factory scheme get oem panels and sell yours

Some guys have the color matching skill. I know my paint guy does. Coupled with great prices and you can't go wrong.

Thanks all for the answers so far. Just to clarify, when I say that new panels are "not much more money", I mean in percentage terms they're not much more, maybe 30%. But this translates to quite a lot of cash...

Do uncrashed panels tend to come up on the FS section on this site? I'm not in a hurry...

I have had mine painted both sides two seprate mishaps
For around 100 to 150 for paint and about 100 for sticker I know it came out around 225 or 250 total verses 440+ for a new panel Painter did a perfect job
Im happy with my outcome Putting sticker on was easy once I learned corect way to do it
My 2 cents

I just repainted my two lowers because I wanted to eliminate the stickers. The color is perfect and I love it....but, If you want the stickers and the price is close I would just get the replacement pieces.

I repaired my friends tank and it matched perfectly. The paints used today are great quality and match better than ever. If you don't mind a repair on your bike then go for it.

Back