Paint protection film

Quiksilver

Registered
Anyone here install paint protection film? I have a new bike and would like to protect some of the high wear areas side and top of fuel tank, sides of seat where helmet gets strapped and bottom-front near radiator. Anyone have any experience with paint protection film? Ive wrapped a few things and am starting to get the hang of it. TIA

I had my ZX14 done virtually straight away when I brought it a few months ago On the main areas similar to where you have marked yours However I had a paint protection shop install the 3M clear film Glad I did as 2 people were working on it for like 4 hours straight with a lifetime warranty for fading and cracking all for $450 AUD Good idea i reckon if you are like me trying to stop those pesky little stone chips ect I only done about 3000km so far with the film on but it still looks good but time will tell I guess :thumbsup:

Remember the front half of the fender and under and around the headlight. Although my belly fairing gets chipped the lower sides of the side pieces and the tank have never been chipped or damaged. The leading edges are what gets chipped.
Hi I was at the body shop the other day. They had a vett it had the clear paint protector with uv you could see where the paint had faded and now it is two shades of silver.

I am not a fan of clear protective coatings on anything. It reminds me of those "Old World" homemakers who used to put a plastic cover on the couch. :laugh:
But I get yer desire to keep new paint, new. You have attacked most of the area's well. If you carry ladies on the back without gloves on, their rings can scratch yer grab bar.The bottom front of the tank as you brake(if you have taught them to palm that area when you brake to take the weight of yer back etc) can get scared up as well. Yer boots will scuff the krap outa the heel guards,might want to put something there.Lots of fancy ones for sale on the net.
Rubb.

I had my ZX14 done virtually straight away when I brought it a few months ago On the main areas similar to where you have marked yours However I had a paint protection shop install the 3M clear film Glad I did as 2 people were working on it for like 4 hours straight with a lifetime warranty for fading and cracking all for $450 AUD Good idea i reckon if you are like me trying to stop those pesky little stone chips ect I only done about 3000km so far with the film on but it still looks good but time will tell I guess :thumbsup:
This is what i wanted to do but it was a hectic time when i purchased. Ive heard this stuff can be very difficult to install so i may send to a shop. I am trying to prevent chips in the paint and scratches in known areas. I was riding with the wife and seen a box end wrench in the road and couldnt avoid it. Briefely looked and didnt see any damage. I know if i look hard enough i will get my feelings hurt...

Remember the front half of the fender and under and around the headlight. Although my belly fairing gets chipped the lower sides of the side pieces and the tank have never been chipped or damaged. The leading edges are what gets chipped.

Thanks for input! The only reference i have is my gen 1, which should be similar as far as wear areas. The leading edges and maybe an inch back was my plans.

Hi I was at the body shop the other day. They had a vett it had the clear paint protector with uv you could see where the paint had faded and now it is two shades of silver.

This was one of my concerns zpecially because its red. I was tossing around the idea of adding tank pads to increase grip, or the large carbon tank protectors that cover the rear of the tNk. I would imagine i would have similar issues either way. Ive seen that there are full body kits but ive read they need to be replaced if damaged.
I am not a fan of clear protective coatings on anything. It reminds me of those "Old World" homemakers who used to put a plastic cover on the couch. :laugh:
But I get yer desire to keep new paint, new. You have attacked most of the area's well. If you carry ladies on the back without gloves on, their rings can scratch yer grab bar.The bottom front of the tank as you brake(if you have taught them to palm that area when you brake to take the weight of yer back etc) can get scared up as well. Yer boots will scuff the krap outa the heel guards,might want to put something there.Lots of fancy ones for sale on the net.
Rubb.
View attachment 1621269

View attachment 1621268

Lol those things were hideous. Im honestly kind of paranoid about owning a new bike. This is the first time in my life ive purchased new and so pretty. Ive thought about trying to ceramic coat the thing and be done. I washed and speed waxed a few days after i got it and noticed small swirl marks and freaked! My wife said i was looking too close lol. The marks probably came from my jacket, jeans, or tank bag. Originally i wanted to get the tank protected with tank pads or lay some c.f vinyl down and on the rear where helmets are stored while not riding. I really like the c.f on the heel guards. I was looking for something that had more. Overage, the silver sticks out too much. I think i will get them powdercoated black and add the product you showed.

Its been a long time since ive went through the process, never on a bike though. How often do you buff? Will ceramic prevent the swirl marks?
I have been a fan of Meguire's detailing products for years. Used with various buffing wheels on a drill or attachments for small surfaces.You can buff as often as needed as the clear coat on Busa's is decent.Just go light,with no really abrasive compounds till you figure it out.Use a swirl mark remover first,then go with yer wax. For a final I have used these special cloths(disposable) made by the paint company PPG. I've only ever found them in bulk at Harley shops. Big box is pricey,but they last a long time.Even thou they are disposable you can actually wash them a few times before the fall apart. I keep a couple in my pocket for finger prints on the bike,my sunglasses,my windscreen and my helmet visor(bug splat while riding).I use a product called Plexus for all that.It protects well too. Paint,plastic,lexan,etc. I'll dig u up some pics if I can of tools and products.
Rubb.

Back