Overfilling oil

TulBusa

Donating Member
Registered
I changed my oil and am having a hard time making sure the bike is level enough to look in the oil level window and see if it is full enough. I guess I need to adjust my rear stand.

Anyway, I overfilled it by quite a bit, unknowing to me, and it's right at the very top of the oil level sight(had the girlfriend sit on the bike so I could see actual level), which is quit a bit above the f line(full). I have driven probably 10 miles with it that way. What concerns should I have with driving it so full? I know it's not good, but could there be any damage?

Thanks
sad.gif

good question...i changed my oil and filter...put in the amount listed on the bike specs...didnt see anything in the window either...ran it for 15 min on idle...then sat it upright..still nothing in the window..not sure if i have enough i, but i should...even if its low it should show somethin...unless its really low i guess...i went around the block a few times...everything seemed good...but still nothing...afraid to add more since im getting close to 4L. im at 3.75 i think.

My guess is that with short mileage there's probably no damage. However, you can burn out your oil pump due to cavitation.. better to be running a little low than over fill it.

Probably not a problem at all. As long as theres not more than 4qts you should be fine.

you could blow seals.....you could...blah blah blah...

why not....I know....pull that little plug for a second....

problem fixed. no more sleepless nights.

good question...i changed my oil and filter...put in the amount listed on the bike specs...didnt see anything in the window either...ran it for 15 min on idle...then sat it upright..still nothing in the window..not sure if i have enough i, but i should...even if its low it should show somethin...unless its really low i guess...i went around the block a few times...everything seemed good...but still nothing...afraid to add more since im getting close to 4L.  im at 3.75 i think.
who cares what the book says....who cares what the specs say.

fill it to the top mark on the sight glass , with the bike sitting on level ground , an' balanced between falling left/falling right.

I dont care if it takes 18 fuggin' quarts.....

just fill it to there....no worries .

Right now, you dont have enuff in.... most bikes are like that . The fillcap right on the engine case "says" 2800cc.
So, you put in 2.8 litres, an' its still low....

it always is .

FILL IT TO THE TOP OF THE SIGHT GLASS.

hav a completely full 1.....RSD.

I guess I need to adjust my rear stand.

Anyway, I overfilled it by quite a bit [snip]
That's the problem right there. You shouldn't be putting your bike on a service stand in order to check the oil level. That'll give you a bad reading every time.

Stand on the right side of the bike while it's on the side stand on a FLAT surface. Kneel down and grab the right bar with your right hand, the right driver's peg with your left hand, and with the bars pointing straight ahead, carefully pull the bike toward you until it comes off the side stand and gets close to the balance point. (Once at that point, it should be very easy to control unless you're 5' - nothing, 100 and nothing.)

THEN you can take an accurate visual reading of your oil level through the site glass.

Also, if you're in the 3.5-4.0 qt range on a bike that calls for 3.5 qts, I doubt very highly you're going to do any damage to your engine, oil pump, or anything else. Over the last decade and one half I have owned on the order of a dozen Japanese bikes and an Italian one as well, and have typically run the level in the top 1/3 of the sight glass; better that than an oil starvation situation IMHO.

opdsgt

That's the problem right there. You shouldn't be putting your bike on a service stand in order to check the oil level. That'll give you a bad reading every time.

Stand on the right side of the bike while it's on the side stand on a FLAT surface. Kneel down and grab the right bar with your right hand, the right driver's peg with your left hand, and with the bars pointing straight ahead, carefully pull the bike toward you until it comes off the side stand and gets close to the balance point. (Once at that point, it should be very easy to control unless you're 5' - nothing, 100 and nothing.)

THEN you can take an accurate visual reading of your oil level through the site glass.

Also, if you're in the 3.5-4.0 qt range on a bike that calls for 3.5 qts, I doubt very highly you're going to do any damage to your engine, oil pump, or anything else. Over the last decade and one half I have owned on the order of a dozen Japanese bikes and an Italian one as well, and have typically run the level in the top 1/3 of the sight glass; better that than an oil starvation situation IMHO.

opdsgt
you forgot to say, put it in gear so it doesn't roll at all .

you forgot to mention if it just had a drain,a drain an' filter, or an' overhaul.

All 3 situations will require different amounts .

BUT.... Mr Monday Morning Quarterback....

those can be remidied by......

opdsgt
Thats what Im sayin'

yea, I pulled the plug and drained, it's now where it should be, just was unsure if any problems would/could arise.

Be safe and get a mirror attached to a foot or so long stalk. Sit on your bike to where it's perfectly upright, angle the mirror down there and use a flashlight if you need to in order to see the oil level in the sight glass. No problemo!

My guess is that with short mileage there's probably no damage. However, you can burn out your oil pump due to cavitation.. better to be running a little low than over fill it.
I think that cavitation occurs when the NPSH (net positive suction head) is too low. Meaning that not enough oil = not enough oil back to the pump start to pump air and pump goes Berserk. (spins faster and faster and overheats)

I BELIEVE I AM ANSWERING THE REAL QUESTION OR NOT? I UNINTENTIONALLY OVERFILLED MY BIKE WITH OIL AND NOTICED SOME SPATTER ON THE LOWER COWL AFTER A 180K TRIP. I BELIEVE, BUT NOT FOR SURE, THE OIL, WHEN OVERFILLED, WILL "PISS" THE EXCESS OUT OF THE OIL OVERFLOW. THE RESULT. IT STOPPED COMPLETELY, WHEN I DRAINED THE OIL AND CHANGED THE FILTER. HOPE THIS HELPS.

There is no oil overflow. Either you had a loose filter or drain plug which was corrected after the oil change or it was forced out of a seal somewhere due to high pressure.

A safe way to check your oil level is to use a large telescoping mirror; most tool makers have them. Sit on your bike to where it is level and extend the mirror's arm so that you can see the sight glass.:)

unless it's way over, parasitic drag is about the only thing that will happen. Better a little high then low. I have always run mine a c**t hair above the high mark.

Back