One of my best rants

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
A bunch of BMW stuffies were trying to attack loud pipes. I'm not a loud pipe guy, but I don't think they are killing our civilization either. So this is my rant:

So I think this quiet pipe thing is basically B.S. A part of a free society is minding your own @#$% business and letting the next guy mind theirs. I love it when people claim a loud bike going by is such a problem when we have F-18s hitting the afterburners all day and night!

First of all, if you ride a motorcycle you are fronting an image to the public. You are lying if you say you don't get an emotional chubby when you pull up next to a minivan and the Dad trapped in there looks over, admiring you for your declared freedom from the ordinary, safe, predictable, brutally boring world of civilization. And if you are a lady with pink plastered all over your bike it's no quieter than a loud exhaust. After all I'm assuming you know you're a girl, so you must feel like Ineed to know too, right?

I ride my ride. I go my speed, go where I want to go, and I ride what I want configured the way I want it. If the next guy rides something different, that's not a reflection on me or my choices. That's how freedom was supposed to work before we corrected it politically. I wave to every motorcyclist I pass because I respect them for stepping out from behind a metrosexual world intent on making everyone the same - men, women, Asian, Indians, Whites, Blacks, safe, boring, etc. Dictating freedom is killing our culture and the sport of motorcycling as well. So it sort of chaps me when we start dictating stuff ourselves. "Your loud pipes are reflecting badly on all of us". How many times have I heard that sort of stop being you and be like us crap on all sorts of things?

I don't have particularly loud pipes on any of my bikes. Neighbors often comment on how I quietly slip out of the neighborhood on morning rides. But open the Busa up and she howls like a wolf you can hear for miles, and it's a beautiful thing I feel in my soul. The BMW is quiet, and I am good with that. But I get noise. No there are no statistics validating loud pipes save lives, they are just a part of the emotional connection to the sport. On the other hand, you can plug your pipes with a cork, because it's your ride and your choice. But you only get to plug your pipes, that's how freedom works.

The internal combustion engine is a beautiful thing. It is one of man's greatest accomplishments, an accomplishment on which nearly all of western civilization is built. Gas, oil, metal and 16,000 explosions a minute is fascinating. Obviously we need to control pollution and greenhouse gasses, so we need new forms of motivation but in this sport, at this time, we burn stuff.

So yes this post is a bit tongue-in-cheek, just meant to poke fun at the exhaust nannies. "To each his own" I say because a little noise never hurt anyone.

Neighbors never complained about my Corvette. Instead they came outside and said snarky things like:
"Your car sure scares all of the cats in my house and they all run in hiding"
"The sound your car makes could wake the dead"
"Sure sounds beefy, everyone knows you have a V8 I don't know why you put an exhaust on it"

So I added an aggressive cam, a supercharger with an open BOV filter, longtube headers and race mufflers.

End of story, I win. #MERICA

I have to agree with a lot of the points you made. I love how engines sound and how they can produce such various exhaust tones. One I could never fall in love with is a Porsche though. No matter how much I try :(

I have to agree with a lot of the points you made. I love how engines sound and how they can produce such various exhaust tones. One I could never fall in love with is a Porsche though. No matter how much I try :(
Listen to a Carrera GT and I bet you'll change your mind....

Agreed. Especially about the Busa howling from miles away.

One night I was being followed by some fellas in cars with really bright lights. I was going to meet my wife for dinner. I was really on it. When I got to the restaurant she was waiting outside. I said what did you just get here? She said no. As soon as I got out of my car I could hear your bike. You must have been miles away cause I have been standing here for a while listening to you coming. Lol. Oops.

A bunch of BMW stuffies were trying to attack loud pipes. I'm not a loud pipe guy, but I don't think they are killing our civilization either. So this is my rant:

So I think this quiet pipe thing is basically B.S. A part of a free society is minding your own @#$% business and letting the next guy mind theirs. I love it when people claim a loud bike going by is such a problem when we have F-18s hitting the afterburners all day and night!

First of all, if you ride a motorcycle you are fronting an image to the public. You are lying if you say you don't get an emotional chubby when you pull up next to a minivan and the Dad trapped in there looks over, admiring you for your declared freedom from the ordinary, safe, predictable, brutally boring world of civilization. And if you are a lady with pink plastered all over your bike it's no quieter than a loud exhaust. After all I'm assuming you know you're a girl, so you must feel like Ineed to know too, right?

I ride my ride. I go my speed, go where I want to go, and I ride what I want configured the way I want it. If the next guy rides something different, that's not a reflection on me or my choices. That's how freedom was supposed to work before we corrected it politically. I wave to every motorcyclist I pass because I respect them for stepping out from behind a metrosexual world intent on making everyone the same - men, women, Asian, Indians, Whites, Blacks, safe, boring, etc. Dictating freedom is killing our culture and the sport of motorcycling as well. So it sort of chaps me when we start dictating stuff ourselves. "Your loud pipes are reflecting badly on all of us". How many times have I heard that sort of stop being you and be like us crap on all sorts of things?

I don't have particularly loud pipes on any of my bikes. Neighbors often comment on how I quietly slip out of the neighborhood on morning rides. But open the Busa up and she howls like a wolf you can hear for miles, and it's a beautiful thing I feel in my soul. The BMW is quiet, and I am good with that. But I get noise. No there are no statistics validating loud pipes save lives, they are just a part of the emotional connection to the sport. On the other hand, you can plug your pipes with a cork, because it's your ride and your choice. But you only get to plug your pipes, that's how freedom works.

The internal combustion engine is a beautiful thing. It is one of man's greatest accomplishments, an accomplishment on which nearly all of western civilization is built. Gas, oil, metal and 16,000 explosions a minute is fascinating. Obviously we need to control pollution and greenhouse gasses, so we need new forms of motivation but in this sport, at this time, we burn stuff.

So yes this post is a bit tongue-in-cheek, just meant to poke fun at the exhaust nannies. "To each his own" I say because a little noise never hurt anyone.
I have one of the loudest exhaust on my bike. Dumps. But with new cars they are so sound tight. You can’t hear motorcycles or loud cars next to you or behind you. So I dont believe it is a safety thing at all. I have almost been run over to many times on bike.

Was this on a forum or they sucked you into their “BMW breakfast” get togethers already? :poke:
Anyways, I don’t like loud pipes myself and, since I got the mustang used with flowmaster axle backs, I go as far as letting roll in neutral down some of the streets in my subdivision when I’m coming home late or leaving early. I’m with you on the “is your ride, do as you please” part. I do wonder why someone would want an exhaust that can be heard miles away, but I guess I’m an old men in a 33 year old body. Lol! After all, I like riding my concours14 and use earplugs on the busa with its yoshi R77 that everyone considers super quiet. Lol!

Last edited:
I have one of the loudest exhaust on my bike. Dumps. But with new cars they are so sound tight. You can’t hear motorcycles or loud cars next to you or behind you. So I dont believe it is a safety thing at all. I have almost been run over to many times on bike.

Is not only being sound tight, my commuter is a Honda and the thing has a noise cancellation system with a mic on the back and one below the radio. I couldn’t believe it when I installed an amp and speakers and the thing started making crazy noises eveytime I closed the door, but it turned out it was feedback from that system messing up the audio. I ended up unplugging that module, so that I could use my upgraded sound system.

Was this on a forum or they sucked you into their “BMW breakfast” get togethers already? :poke:
Anyways, I don’t like loud pipes myself and, since I got the mustang used with flowmaster axle backs, I go as far as letting roll in neutral down some of the streets in my subdivision when I’m coming home late or leaving early. I’m with you on the “is your ride, do as you please” part. I do wonder why someone would want an exhaust that can be heard miles away, but I guess I’m an old men in a 33 year old body. Lol! After all, I like riding my concours14 and use earplugs on the busa with its yoshi R77 that everyone considers super quiet. Lol!

I was ex-communicated from all BMW gatherings because I corrected the forum famous BMW leader and told him the BMW 6 cylinder is an amazing engine to look at but it's not even in the same performance league as the Busa motor.

I was ex-communicated from all BMW gatherings because I corrected the forum famous BMW leader and told him the BMW 6 cylinder is an amazing engine to look at but it's not even in the same performance league as the Busa motor.
How dare you Willie!! Lol! I notice that BMW riders never acknowledge me when I’m on the busa, but always wave when I’m on the concours. Not sure if the saddlebags and top case help.

I ride a Harley so you already know where I stand....:rolleyes:

To me it seems like them Beamer and Goldwing guys are only concerned with gas mileage and quiet exhausts!!! I’m glad you aren’t over there sipping the non gluten free herbal tea with em:banghead:

I absolutely love the sound of my Harley especially when I first fire her up. She just growls and comes to life! My 2 inton1 exhaust has a nice rumble to it @ idle that reminds me of an old muscle car. When I twist the throttle the engine comes alive and you have no choice but to look and see wtf is coming down the road!!! Hell even my Busa with the Ti-Force exhaust will wake the dead when I crack the throttle. I love that raw pure sound coming from the exhaust. Let’s me know I’m on a damn motorcycle and alerts everyone around me to get off your damn phone and pay attention!!!!

I’ve been around a few guys on Harley’s with obnoxiously loud pipes and I’ve also been around squids that hacksaw the muffler off their cbr 600 and rev incessantly @ the light. Different bikes same chicken strips :laugh:

tumblr_nc4pioV8x91tfbtrwo1_400.gif

FS4B.gif

I always say, don't crap where you sleep, nothing like pissing off all the neighbours with an obnoxious exhaust system. I never rev anything I own anywhere near I live, if I want to make noise, I go where there is nobody to annoy.

I absolutely, dislike those "fart can" mufflers on cars.....they get my blood pressure up.

I can hear some bikes from literally miles away. When I'm trying to sleep and I get woken up by one of them it is quite irritating. Sure, don't make noise where you live … but don't make it by my house either. I don't care at 10 a.m., but I sure as hell care at 10 p.m. While I'm bitching, don't throw your trash out in front of my house either. Do you do that in front of your own house? My bike is quite loud, but it gets maybe 15 miles a year on the street and not waking people up. Harleys that intentionally make as much noise as possible in front of people eating at outside restaurants are a prime example of lack of consideration.

Two things. Local council invoke a noise by law. Then they had a free come test your bike. The guy on the GS could not even activate the meter. The guy with the python pipes peg the meter from the road before he even got to the parking lot
Both were pleased as punch for their accomplishments :)
At the bike show I told a guy my bike was a Busa. He commented they very fast
I said there are faster ones but not many
Third guy said he had one that was faster
The showed me a nice of his heavily modified Buell powered sled. We had a great chat about enjoying what each of us ride and parted friends.
And that's how it should be. I don't care his bike may be faster. He didn't care my bike handles better. To each their own fun
I can imagine living on a publicly funded "RaceTrack" is not a lot of fun. But I don't need some law abiding coffee shop cruise guy on a spotless adventure bike calling me out that my Hayabusa is ruining western civilization either
Can't we all at least try to get along

Back