Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One chain length for for two sprockets?

Craiger

Registered
I want to try running with a 16/43 sprocket setup on my 04 Busa for commuting but if I go on a long tour I'm thinking for fuel economy to switch back to the 17/40 sprockets. Since I have to put on a new chain anyways I'm wondering if I can have one chain length?

I've never seen a mileage improvement with gearing. The factory map has a sweet spot at 4K RPMs. See what you find out :poke:

Since I'm running Yosh stage 1's and full Akro and pc3 since going to a 16t on the front i've obviously seen an increase in cruising rpm and my fuel usage is up slightly. But I want to have a bit of fun and put a 43t on the rear with my new chain but once the chain is cut and on that's it and if my fuel usage really sucks I would like to go back to 17/40 for long tours.
I found a pinned post by Viperman that says a stock length chain within limits will accommodate a -1/+3 switch. I'm hoping somebody can verify and should I leave an extra link or two?

Yes, you have enough adjustment to accommodate those minor changes. It will change the position of the rear wheel and length of wheelbase. I'm +3 on the rear and the wheel is pulled up at this time. Going -2 will put you toward max adjustment from my experience.

Yes, the stock length chain will work fine with 16/43 also.

Top Bottom