On wednesday I pick up my bike!

BigmanZ

Registered
Passed the MSF course last week and finally gave the state their cut so I could have my endorsement! Going through the class though made me realize a few things.

1) Young kids rev'ing their bikes behind me in line while in neutral is a bad thing. Thankfully I had a buffer bike between me and 'them' when neutral suddenly became 1st gear. Sucked to be the guy on the buffer bike though.

2) I have allot of learning to do....like how to suddenly excelerate when you suddenly hear rev'ing, an 'Oh ****', a scream of terror from the guy you know is directly behind you, then see him in your periphial vision going by you...sideways...while being pushed by another bike.  
crazy.gif

So after much soul searching and the fact that I had another good 3 months of waiting to afford the hayabusa and damnit I just passed the freakin course I wanna ride NOW...I've come to the conclusion that I should get a less expensive and less powerful bike to start on. So I checked out all the suggested bikes on the forum...and none fit me. So I settled for a reasonable middle ground. Found an '04 Katana 600 for sale from a private owner with only 4k miles on it and in superb condition. Come wednesday, she's all mine.

I'll post some better pics once she's in my hands, sitting next to my dad's Triumph Bonneville and my brother's new Kawasaki ZZR600.

Kat600.jpg

great choice on deciding to go with the katana to learn on........i'd hate to hear about you laying over a new busa. just take it easy and watch those slow turns.....a lot of guys stall it out on turning at slow speed and next thing you know, down she goes.

congrats on passing the course and getting your endorsement
smile.gif
...don't ever forget the lesson- there are idiots everywhere
mad.gif

good choice on the bike...always realize what your limits are and act accordingly...get some miles and experience under your belt so you feel more comfortable and then you can change to a bigger bike if you decide you want to
beerchug.gif

super.gif
way to do it. most want to start with a busa or a r1, learn your skills and then move up.

Very wise choice on the Kat. There'll be plenty of time for bigger and better things once the skills are solid.

congrats. I hate it for the other guy. Usually someone always has a spill at the MSF class. Not try'n to push you away, but here's a katana site for ya. Just incase you need a lil help with your new bike. kat forum

Thats a good sign that you can put your ego in check. It will help you more than you think. It sounds like you will never be one of those guys that rides way beyond there limits trying to impress someone. Good luck and have fun!

Good choice in a first bike! I had the 750 to "re-learn" on. Very forgiving bike, but don't let that fool ya. It'll still reach back and bite ya if you aren't paying attention.

Katriders is a good group, couple poster ho'ers, but I guess we have them here too.
laugh.gif

Now go log some miles on that thing!!!

Very good choice! I learned on a Kat 600 myself many years ago.

(BigmanZ @ Dec. 12 2006,03:29) Passed the MSF course last week and finally gave the state their cut so I could have my endorsement! Going through the class though made me realize a few things.

1) Young kids rev'ing their bikes behind me in line while in neutral is a bad thing. Thankfully I had a buffer bike between me and 'them' when neutral suddenly became 1st gear. Sucked to be the guy on the buffer bike though.

2) I have allot of learning to do....like how to suddenly excelerate when you suddenly hear rev'ing, an 'Oh ****', a scream of terror from the guy you know is directly behind you, then see him in your periphial vision going by you...sideways...while being pushed by another bike.  
crazy.gif

So after much soul searching and the fact that I had another good 3 months of waiting to afford the hayabusa and damnit I just passed the freakin course I wanna ride NOW...I've come to the conclusion that I should get a less expensive and less powerful bike to start on. So I checked out all the suggested bikes on the forum...and none fit me. So I settled for a reasonable middle ground. Found an '04 Katana 600 for sale from a private owner with only 4k miles on it and in superb condition. Come wednesday, she's all mine.

I'll post some better pics once she's in my hands, sitting next to my dad's Triumph Bonneville and my brother's new Kawasaki ZZR600.
This is the kind of posts I love to see.

You took the MSF class. Great.

You realize you have some more learning to do. Great again.

The Katana 600 should be a very good bike to get some time on. Much more forgiving than the busa.

You found a good deal from a private buyer on a used bike. You bought it at outside of the normal riding season which will save you money.

Get some time on the bike and you should get back all of you money you paid on the Tuna when you get ready to buy the Busa.

Congratulations on the MSF class. I teach it and we do see things happen as you described, but rarely. I keep a pretty tight hold on the young ones that want to horse around for that very reason. The rest should not have to fear something like that happening.

Stick around and absorb the busa info. I did for a year before I picked up mine.

Thanks for taking the MSF course - the other riders/drivers and your bike deserve it! Goog choice on the Katana as well - I appluad your judgement!
beerchug.gif

I still feel it's all in the mind of the rider when it comes to a busa. If ya hot rod, you're gonna open yourself up to allot of hurt. Main problem that hit me was at first, I figured the chances of me laying down the bike where pretty good but hey no problem, I have the money to repair any damaged plastics. Thing is, the more I learned about the Busa the more I wanted one...basically, the Busa started out as being that crazy friend everybody has who you allways go out and have a good time with. Allways do fun and crazy things and hey, if you get scratched up oh well..thats life, live and learn. Sadly though the busa went from being that crazy friend to suddenly being that hot red head with perfect curves and the wicked smile. The one that you allways respect cuz she's out of your league yet want to push to see what you can get away with but at the same time ya don't want to 'ef up and crash. So ya.
sad.gif
I'll work on my skills so that I'll lesson the chances of kissing ground and scratching my baby.

Congrats on passing the course. You are doing the right thing by starting with the 600. Although they are not a busa, they are a great bike to hone your skills on and will be alot of fun to ride. You sound like you have a good perspective on things. Welcome to the site, hope you stay with us.
beerchug.gif

I promised more pics and here they are! Would of been quicker on these but I decided to take the bike in for a full tune-up and check over immidiatly after I picker her up.

My_Bike.JPG

Back