G

sorry folks...it's long

TOPICS TO BE COVERED:

->Dirty Pete v Hayabusa.org
->Censorship of Forums
->Moderation of Forums
->Site Changes & Upgrades

I would ask that you do two things for me:

->Please stop guessing and posting things regarding this situation when you don't really know what's up. The member who said that this is like a soap opera is right on...many of the things being said are causing more problems than really exist.

->Please keep an open mind and listen to what both of us have said...we both have valid points and neither of us is 100% right on this.

Dirty Pete has decided to no longer post to Hayabusa.org - he has NOT had his account removed. This was most likely a very tough decision for Pete to make and I have to say that I understand it 100%.

Pete was posting about membership needing to be open and/or picture posting, censorship and various other things that were just generally "civil unrest" in action (more info under Site Changes & Upgrades below). I took this badly and decided that I had had enough from Pete, as I had already explained all of this before and he and I had had a few run-ins on the cursing thing (more on cursing below). I made the decision to remove Pete's account and then had to go handle a pissed off little kid in the living room. When I came back, I realized that I didn't want Pete gone...truth be told, I've always had a special place in my heart for that "old dirty bastard" (NO, not like that) and thought of him the way you think of "star players" at work...they're always going to be a little bit of a pain in the *** to you, but they're worth it. He's a blunt guy as am I...so I sent him a blunt email...

It started by saying that I was going to remove his account but decided not to. Whether he took this as a threat or as something he didn't feel like dealing with, I don't know...what I do know is that I probably would have been bothered by it as well. Does this mean that I think that my reasoning or actions were wrong? No, but it does mean that I understand his viewpoint.

Contrary to popular belief, I actually like dissenting opinions...I'm the devil's advocate in almost every situation and think that dissent breeds ideas.

In short, Pete and I are talking via email. He left because he felt like he had to (I probably would have done the same in his shoes)...I did what I did because I felt like I had to. There's no reason for either of us to apologize, but I think we're both sorry about how things happened, if that makes sense. I would like him to come back, but I understand that only he can make that decision and the fact that we're talking does not really mean he will be. I, for one, hope he heads back this way...

or "Why do we censor thee...let me count the reasons..."

I had parents complaining that they loved the site but simply couldn't justify visiting it with so much foul-mouthed behavior. Being a new parent myself, I understood this. I also had people that just didn't like it emailing me and complaining. These made me start thinking that maybe we should exclude a few words. Then there were a few posts in a short time that looked like tryouts to be a guest on the Dennis Miller Show (you know...where all the guests say F*** as many times as they can because they can) and I decided that maybe the filter would help.

A small group completely exploded over this violation of free speech...I won't even start on that topic, but suffice it to say that I like all of the Bill of Rights (excepting anything that might possibly allow Clinton to remain President) and agree that freedom of speech is vital...just not in every situation. This group also complained about the fact that valid words (like assess) were getting filtered, so I shut it down to specific words (like *** ) and asked that people not mess around with seeing what I hadn't filtered because it would just make the filter larger. This seemed to calm most of the dissenting opinions, but some still didn't like it.

We censor for one reason and one reason only...we were losing folks because of the language. My goal is to provide a community where you folks (and I) can get together and talk bikes...not where a specific few or those not offended by language could get together. To make any site a success, you have to find a common denominator. I think the "half-filter" is just that, as I have had 10x more thanks than complaints since installation of the "half-filter" -- this tells me it is doing some good.

The best way I can put this is the same way I've spoken with a few others in the past...you can still post, talk, chat, learn, etc. without cursing, but the person with the kids cannot visit if you do curse. That makes it a pretty easy choice to me.

Hope everyone understands this...

As for Yngve and his accusation that I am censoring threads, we'll address that below.

The forums have a moderator assigned to them...that is so that they can be moderated. Moderation is the act of removing things that are devoid of value and/or moving topics to the correct forums.

Since May, I have removed ~7 threads, shuffled (moved to a different forum) only 2 or 3 and combined quite a few threads by closing a topic. Most of the removed threads were empty, but I did delete one of Yngve's yesterday. The thread stated that Pete was banned and that everyone should send me an email regarding it. Since the information was wrong, that made the thread something that just started more trouble than it was worth. Additionally, we were already all talking about it on the forum, so the email would just have clogged my box.

I have locked 2 Dirty Pete threads today in an attempt to keep the topic on one thread, making it easier for all to read.

Moderation is a good thing which I have not spent enough time doing...I will be bringing on other moderators soon...I already have a few lined up.

Okay...on to what started this mess anyway.

Everyone is anxious about the site rebuild and I can guarantee that I am more anxious than the rest of you. I'm dying over here...

I have programmers working on some specific upgrades I want done to the registration system and two other programs that will make the site much better. These changes are taking quite a bit longer than anticipated, but I'd rather have it late and correct than early and broken.

I have tried to keep registration closed during this time so that we would not have the extra people having to re-signup and complicate the process such that it slows it down. This obviously hasn't worked out wonderfully, but it's debatable as to whether it was actually a bad idea. This "additional delay theory" is also why I have been getting so frustrated...everytime someone emails me or wants me to re-explain something, it takes up time I could be using on the rebuild.

At any rate, I'm going to re-open registration for a day or two and email the folks that have been dying to get in...then I'll shut it again until this rebuild is complete.

To answer a few common questions:

->no, the delay has nothing to do with anything other than the rebuild
->no, the site will not cost you money when we're done
->yes, picture posting will be available
->yes, there will be a member database available
->yes, it will help me recoop some of our costs
->yes, there will be group purchasing options

That's all folks! Did you make it this far?

Post any further questions and I'll be sure to post replies.

BigDog

...oh...very cool Idea on the membership...move now or hold your water...hey c'mon 'Pete, even a Canuc should be able to see the scence in all of this...(is it still PC to make fun of the Canadians?)

BigDog, thanks for your efforts. Like I said, I wouldn't want your "job", especially since you don't get paid for it. You really do a good job, you cannot make everybody happy.

Chase, THANK YOU!

I believe you have cleared the air with your long "State of the .Org" post.

Enough said and well said, I will leave it at that.

OK, clarity at last!

For those that needed it the most, those that were speculating on all kinds of weird ideas of their own about what was behind it, please don't go off in the wrong direction again and next time please wait till you have some FACTS to base it on.

Now can we PLEASE return to what we all came here for in the 1st place (at least that's the way it is for me):

Motorcycling in general and the 'Busa in particular!

Don't wanna sound like too much of a preacher, but I was getting sick and tired of all this enough to almost leave both boards and forget about the whole idea.

Chase, thanks for clearing the air, hope that all concerned are BIG enough to forget and "RIDE ON"?

Thanks Chase, that certainly makes it clean with me. I know I was stretching, maybe even streeeetching the profanity guidelines that you had in place and I can refrain from doing that on this site in the future.

I'm happy you have plans to let more people in. There certainly are lots of enthusiastic riders and knowledgeable speed freaks...the match for any of us here...over at Ranger's place. And I hope that those of them who wish to have access to both boards will, soon.

Two days ago I was a .org guy. Today I feel equal "allegiance" to both places. Now I know it's about the people, not the site. There's a wealth of character and intelligence in both places, including their respective moderators.

I'm embarrassed by the disturbance all of this has created, and also I don't know what to say about the support the Members on both sites...hardened motorcycle hoodlums all of you (except Dreamer and BusaFan)...gave me. I figured I might just get blown out on both sites. If it's possible to have friends in cyber space, I'm a luckycanucky.

"Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!"

Ah...much better. I've not slept a wink since this ugly mess started, Well with the continuity of the forum reinstated; I'm due for a nap. Well actually I was going to take one any way. Now we can get back to abnormality.

Dirty Pete-glad your back!
Big Dog-you too!

Chase,
Thanks for all your hard work,
the site is clearly fun for many
folks and is one of the best of its kind

And I used to love brazilian soap operas... Chase, I am just teasing you :) (kiss)
And DP.... we cant live without u...
Ahhh... about Yngve's post, dont worry Chase... he was just kidding (hehe). :)

BigDog ,I can't tell how excited I was when first got the Busa ,It was pure chance that I called when I did because the deal fell through on someone else so they put it back on the floor the day I called .So I've got one of the baddest bikes on the road but nobody to hang with to brag about it. I'm to old and green to ride with guys who know how to ride , and to wild to run with the who the guys who want to poke .A fellow Busa owner told me shortly after I got mine about this sight and needless to say that night I checked it out . I almost S***!!!! All the guys talkin' , braggin',complainin' about the same two wheelled monster I had . IT was was wonderful. I, and I know everybody on this site appreciates what you do,and where else are you gonna get more hard headed nicer people than here...Thanks for makin owning my bike even more fun anyway...

i'm touched by all this!!....

Chase, i think if you replied a little more often you might find the respect your looking for!

look at how some of these guy's "woke up" just when they saw you were a part of the org.

come around a little more!

if you feel the way you do...then be one of us.

.....Frank

[This message has been edited by frank adams (edited 07 December 1999).]

Creativity, thoughtfulness and talent get my support, DP. Good stuff all round, now.

Wish I could be this good at resolving conflict, Chase. I would have lost many fewer friends in my life. Your posting hit just the right tone to defuse this situation. Good for you.

Now, for your next trick, can you just fix the weather in New England to be a bit more suited to riding for the next couple of months, please?

I tried to not take sides on this...just sit back until the facts come out. It happened even faster than I thought. Now back to motorcycles.

I intialy came to this site to stir the pot but have since changed my ways. I dont own a Suzuki and probably never will but I do have many friends that do and we get along fine. Iam a Kaw guy and defensive of my brand as are Suzuki guys about theirs but I guess its kinda dumb to get into that " my bikes better than yours crap" Iam guilty I admitt it. But all these bikes have many things in common, wheels, tires, suspension, exhausts and engines, ect.... plenty to talk about without bashing anything Ive realized. I really just enjoy talking bikes I guess and it doesnt really matter what you own, we are all bound by that common bond I LOVE BIKES

Back