Old or new?

kentmax5

Registered
Well ya'll....I have a dilemma. Have an 06' bone stock busa, and dont know whether to mod it out? or buy a Gen II.

My mod question is this.....money is no object. For looks and performance...which exhaust is best? Slip ons or full systems? Have been searching and reviewing...thanks for any and all input. ???

How far do you wanna go with performance gains? I would go with a full system from either Yosh or Akrapovic. For looks I would go with a small stretch and a 240 kit out back.

How many miles on your 06'? If low miles then i would put the mods on it. If high miles buy an 10' and you will probably put mods on it eventually too!:whistle:

Right now I have 6000 miles on it....also I should have pointed out that although It seems the single sided exhausts are more popular, I really like the symetrical look of dual exhausts. Performance wise...I would love to do the Texas mile and break 200....maybe some drag racing....

In short...

Unless you building a race bike,buy what looks best to you cosmetically. No point in having some exhaust that might give you a horse or two more then another exhaust and have that rolling thought that "X" brand exhaust sure does sound good. Full exhaust is better then bolt-ons. Bolt-on/slip-ons are easy to install.

Go with what body style your like. Gen2 does have some improvements over gem performance wise.

YouTube searches has some nice sound clips. Also Bike nites is a good place to scout out mods. As you see/hear them in person.

The single sided exhaust gives the busa more power than duals
There are full systems that have both pipes...
It's more than just the 40 cc of displacement. There are a lot of upgrades, secondary injectors, different airbox, different head design, etc. All adds up to about 15-20 hp to the ground.

I have an 01 atm. If money was no object I would be all over a Gen II, previously owned with a 240 rear and go from there. That's my opinion but, I'm actually in progress with the old dog atm cause I like her. Just buy a new one, build a cruiser and a race bike!:thumbsup:

Lot/most of it has to do with what you WANT.
If you want a Gen II, then nothing else will suffice.
If you like the look of your Gen I, then keep it (and the $$ a Gen II trade will cost you). Hit one of the many MnGs that take place every year around the country, and you can sample most of the exhaust system sounds out there. Mod it as you please, and ride it.:thumbsup:

Keep the 06

Put a Turbo or Nitrous on it.

It has been mentioned on this board that the Gen I engine will hold up better with a Turbo or Nitrous than a Gen II

Also get to keep the looks of the Gen I ( Sorry guys I still like the looks of the Gen I better )

And seeing how money is no object ----------- Get me one while your at it

Last edited:
I would stay with the Gen 1( smoother lines ). I agree on the dual pipes over a single. I would do a 240 rear,wheels and paint to start.I have Devil high mount full system.

DSC00039.jpg

Busa 350.jpg

Looks are strictly your opinion. In fact, the look of the bike is so subjective it shouldn't even be discussed in this context. The fact is, you like one or the other better.

Performance wise, it's pretty simple, the gen II has many updates and runs good. You could mod your bike to run that good, or you could buy a bike that runs that good from the factory that has a quiet exhaust and is smooth as butter. No worries about how to tune it or who should do it.

It is a simple matter, the Gen II is the logical choice of bike to have, if money is not an issue.

Back