OK why the auction site?

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
First, i'm not sayin it was necessarily a bad decision to do it. However, what was the reason? Why are there sooooo few people sellin stuff on there now? There were a TON of sales goin on from here before and now virtually nothin on the auction site. Once again, not intending to anger anyone just curious cause its hard to find stuff now since theres less posts

post-52-02162-rulez8bn.gif

I can answer the why part.... From a database and admin side of things the message board was not designed to be a for sale or classifieds board. The want ads where someone post up that they are looking for a good deal on tires or a sale of a chain from one member to the other... Who cares, that is not the type of information that we will look back on in 4 years and care about.... The auction site provides the exact same functionality, it allows someone to post what they have for sale or what they want and it purges the data automatically. Now the reasons for the lack of participation has me a bit baffled too and that is the reason that I took all fees off the site.. I want to see if the members just didnt want the fees or they are just afraid or just dont like change. Either way the sales are not coming back to the board....... I have provided a place for everyone to do business where there is some accountabiity and I dont spend all day deleting old sales ads.

CAp

good enough reason for me cappytan, thanks for the info
super.gif

The new auction site is nice, but have 1 minor complaint about it. I wish it was a little more easy to browse. When I go to the page, I see some neat stuff, so I log in and its like...umm, ok where to do I find that thing before I signed in.

Almost too many features...lol, I guess what Im saying is that if it was a little more simple to use, the site might catch on to some of use slow folks a little quicker.

Instead of 20 or 30 catagories, of which only a few get used (I think so far), just have a few sections to shop sorta like we had here before the auction site went up. Anyhow, I hope it catches on, I sure miss browsing the adds, as it was one of my favorite places to look and dream about mods. Cap, dont take my comments in a negative way, just trying to offer one guys view.

Something simple like this.

1. All Motorcycle parts
2. Hayabusa sales
3. Motorcycle gear/ clothing/ helmets
4. Unrelated motorcycle junk

valium those sections are there... you can just click on the link that says motorcycles and you can see just the motorcycle merchandise. Im not taking your comments wrong at all but I think that what you are wanting is already there...

CAp

I can say that I do kinda understand what Valium is saying. There are really too many catagories to choose from. It is kinda overwhelming. I mean, you click on sporting goods and then it takes you to clothes, outside sporting goods, inside sporting goods..etc..etc.. It does seem like there would kinda be an easier way to navigate the site.

Just my .02 in a positive aspect!!

Look on the left hand side of the screen and there are 5 catagories.... If you are looking for MC stuff then click on the MC link and Viola 7 groups to choose from

While I'm not trying to bash the auction site - I do think it's neat...I think another reason for folks not using it is convenience....or lack thereof.

I'm one of those users who logs on to the Org and clicks the 'new posts' link. I browse thru the posts...then I come back in a little while and click 'new posts' again. I RARELY browse thru the individual forums...I figure 'new posts' just about covers it for me.

With the old way, I could conveniently browse topics, mods, wants, haves...even 'for sale'. If something caught my eye...I would jump on it. I've acquired several items this way. In fact some of the items were 'impulse' purchases...just because I happen to see them for sale in my normal course of browsing posts (and NJ hadn't beat me to them
tounge.gif
)

With the auction site, while nice-looking, it is not convenient for me. I have to go 'out of my way' to hit the site. Unless I'm looking for something at the time, I don't think of heading over there....unless I'm just really bored and looking for something to do (which isn't that often!)

Again, I like the concept of the auction site. I understand the reasons behind it...and will support it, but it won't be as frequently as before. If I happen to be wanting brake lines for example, I'll now head to the auction site.

Anyway - just my $.02....

(omslaw @ Nov. 03 2006,17:16) I'm one of those users who logs on to the Org and clicks the 'new posts' link.  I browse thru the posts...then I come back in a little while and click 'new posts' again.  I RARELY browse thru the individual forums...I figure 'new posts' just about covers it for me.

With the old way, I could conveniently browse topics, mods, wants, haves...even 'for sale'.  If something caught my eye...I would jump on it.  I've acquired several items this way.  In fact some of the items were 'impulse' purchases...just because I happen to see them for sale in my normal course of browsing posts  (and NJ hadn't beat me to them
tounge.gif
)
I am exactly that type of member, too.

I had originally thought the reason the auction area was added was to help generate revenue for the site... which was alright with me. But I did notice that it wasn't getting the same traffic - say - a for sale post would get. I had posted HID kits for sale in the auction area and when the ad expired, I started to "tweak" my listing and make it visually more appealing. Unfortunately I found that I had to stick with the exact format of the auction template and I couldn't really do anything with my listing. So after about 20-minutes of trying different things, I gave up and didn't relist. Not relisting my ad had nothing to do with the fees - I thought they were VERY reasonable.

What I was wanted to suggest was that the For Sale category be added again, this time with a "PreApproval" area... meaning that a thread would not be live without it being approved by a mod first. Once the ad was read and approved, the mod would contact the seller with a price for posting the ad. Once the ad was paid for via Paypal, the mod would MOVE the thread an unmoderated For Sale area where people could post and buy.

To combat the problem with a database full of old sale items, a mod would remove all sales items 30-days old... say, on the 1st day of the month.

Just a suggestion!

-G

(BigGeorge @ Nov. 03 2006,16:32)
(omslaw @ Nov. 03 2006,17:16) I'm one of those users who logs on to the Org and clicks the 'new posts' link.  I browse thru the posts...then I come back in a little while and click 'new posts' again.  I RARELY browse thru the individual forums...I figure 'new posts' just about covers it for me.

With the old way, I could conveniently browse topics, mods, wants, haves...even 'for sale'.  If something caught my eye...I would jump on it.  I've acquired several items this way.  In fact some of the items were 'impulse' purchases...just because I happen to see them for sale in my normal course of browsing posts  (and NJ hadn't beat me to them
tounge.gif
)
I am exactly that type of member, too.

I had originally thought the reason the auction area was added was to help generate revenue for the site... which was alright with me. But I did notice that it wasn't getting the same traffic - say - a for sale post would get. I had posted HID kits for sale in the auction area and when the ad expired, I started to "tweak" my listing and make it visually more appealing. Unfortunately I found that I had to stick with the exact format of the auction template and I couldn't really do anything with my listing. So after about 20-minutes of trying different things, I gave up and didn't relist. Not relisting my ad  had nothing to do with the fees - I thought they were VERY reasonable.

What I was wanted to suggest was that the For Sale category be added again, this time with a "PreApproval" area... meaning that a thread would not be live without it being approved by a mod first. Once the ad was read and approved, the mod would contact the seller with a price for posting the ad. Once the ad was paid for via Paypal, the mod would MOVE the thread an unmoderated For Sale area where people could post and buy.

To combat the problem with a database full of old sale items, a mod would remove all sales items 30-days old... say, on the 1st day of the month.

Just a suggestion!

-G
Who has time to review all the post and remove them... Come on guys give me a break, is it asking too much for you to click on another link to check out the auction site...... You keep putting this back on me and the mods... I have a very automated process set up and the excuses that your giving me are all because you dont have time or like change...... I would hate to ask too much for the members to try to put a little effort and help me out, there are thousands of you and one of me and a handfull of mods.

GEEEEEESH I would be better if you just told me you didnt like it. but to say that it just not convenient......

I need a lortab

The back arrow offers a great way of going back & forth from the auction site to the forum, or I usually just open a new window to browse. As far as lack of traffic, I've put myself on a bit of a budget, as I usually do this time of year, so I wonder if others do the same. It might just be a case of timing.

(omslaw @ Nov. 03 2006,14:16) I'm one of those users who logs on to the Org and clicks the 'new posts' link.  I browse thru the posts...then I come back in a little while and click 'new posts' again.  I RARELY browse thru the individual forums...I figure 'new posts' just about covers it for me.
I am the same way and I dont like the auction in a seaperate area like it is but I deal with it cap changed the wanted section the other day and I do check it now change always sucks hopefully in time we will all ajust (cap people are saying that they dont like it just trying to do it in a polite way so as not to hurt your fellings everybody knows you have put alot of time into this give them time they will come around )

CAp - don't get me wrong - I understand what you are saying about the admin overhead of all the 'for sale' posts that were running wild. Again, I said I liked the auction site.

I'm fortunate to have a job that allows me time to browse the Net. When I get a few spare moments, I'm usually browsing the Org. For example, this afternoon - it's been kinda slow, so I've been catching up on some lost .Org time. Until this thread, I hadn't given the auction site a thought. I'm not actively looking to purchase anything, so I didn't think to go over there.

Perhaps one could 'post' that they have something for sale and link to the auction site? I don't know...

I wish I had the magic answer for ya. I imagine it's frustrating for you to hear all of this talk about the auction site.

I just don't understand what's so hard about it?
I use the new posts on the board also, I don't browse the rest unless I'm looking for something that I know is there.
Click one link at the top of the org.
Get's you to the auction screen.
Where it show right there the 5 most recently listed auctions.

auction.jpg

Click to the right of recently listed auctions "view all" and it takes you to a page of nothing but new auctions.
Kind of like a new posts button.

auction2.jpg

I just don't see the hard part of one click.
Read above, Cap said he will not return it to the way it was.
I have bought once from the site and this winter when I change some parts on my bike, I will be listing items for sale on it.
Don't care about the fees. You would think everyone who appreciates the board like everyone says they do then they would use it; if not to just find some good deals or to sell something, but to support the site also.
rant.gif

The frustrating part is that there were a lot of post before the auction site and now there are none. Folks that come on the site and ask why they cant post in the for sale section and then they dissappear. Just look at those members over the past couple of weeks.... They ask we tell they go away? That is frustrating.........

Back